Prospect Info: Ives Final 2020 Draft Rankings -- Top 100

Status
Not open for further replies.

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
The only reason to consider Zary at #18 or #20 is if you feel like you need to be exceptionally strong down the middle. I'd understand it but we'd be gambling even more on the wingers in our system to develop.

Reactions: Guadana

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I feel like these kids dont even exist at the rate its taking to get to draft day!

If we miss out on Drysdale and Sanderson ill be disappointed - wondering if its worth it at that point to trade back a few spots and collect a 2nd

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Nicomo Cosca

Aug 13, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
I feel like these kids dont even exist at the rate its taking to get to draft day!

If we miss out on Drysdale and Sanderson ill be disappointed - wondering if its worth it at that point to trade back a few spots and collect a 2nd
Definitely not. If both dmen are gone then we are guaranteed to at least get one of Rossi or Raymond. I’d be very happy with either one.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Hey, guys -- optimism! The Devils are going to get a terrific player, a franchise cornerstone, at #7 overall. I'd love a top-tier defenseman too, but we need to understand that Drysdale and Sanderson are not very likely to fall to #7 for a ton of reasons.

Is it possible? Sure! Am I going to keep my hopes up? Of course! But I can't say I'm disappointed by the alternative. The highest probabilities for the Devils at the #7 pick -- any way you look at it -- are Marco Rossi and Lucas Raymond. These are two absolutely exceptional talents at forward.

I just think we need to see our minds open and our chins up. The Devils are going to get an incredible player at #7, and likely two more possible future stars at #18 and #20. It's going to be a fun draft.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Haha, everyone over-ranks Swedes. It's like they feel they're onto some secret, except it's a secret everyone knows about. You want to shock us? Tell us about a Belarussian or Norwegian or Austrian player we haven't seen. Everyone has seen the Swedes. I've seen Raymond ranked #2 overall -- I mean, I love him, but no. I've seen players with dangerously non-existent compete levels (Nybeck) and hockey IQs (Wallinder) ranked just outside the top 15. Folks, I don't care what country a player is from -- if they can play hockey, they can play hockey.
there are good reasons to over rank the swedes. it's the best way to take revenge to the kakko fan boys. :naughty:
you may reconsider this tactic before and during your stay in finland, tough.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
if drysdale and sanderson are gone by pick #7, just shut down the playstation and try again.
Or be extremely happy the Devils are going to get in that case one of Raymond, Rossi, Holtz, or Perfetti in that case

Last edited:

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
"It's probably forward-heavy in the top part of the draft," Castron said. "Some play in Europe, so you're projecting guys who, in some cases, got less than 10 points last year, and that's not an easy thing. I had to go back to video for some players when they played a bigger role. Watching video has been a handy tool for us."
The Canadian Hockey League, United States Hockey League, NCAA, and European playoffs were cancelled due to concerns surrounding the coronavirus, limiting opportunities for NHL teams to see prospects play important games in person.
Castron said the Devils are set on choosing the best available players in the first round, regardless of position. They have nine picks in the draft; none in the second round.
"The way that the list goes that we create, you're probably going to get somebody at No. 18 that you have rated No. 13 or No. 14 because you know it's not going to go in order," Castron said. "We filled some organizational needs after the first round last year, drafting defensemen Nikita Okhotyuk (No. 61) and Daniil Misyul (No. 70). I think we were looking to sure up the back end a little bit in that case.

2020 Draft: Devils expect to improve with three picks in first round

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
"It's probably forward-heavy in the top part of the draft," Castron said. "Some play in Europe, so you're projecting guys who, in some cases, got less than 10 points last year, and that's not an easy thing. I had to go back to video for some players when they played a bigger role. Watching video has been a handy tool for us."
The Canadian Hockey League, United States Hockey League, NCAA, and European playoffs were cancelled due to concerns surrounding the coronavirus, limiting opportunities for NHL teams to see prospects play important games in person.
Castron said the Devils are set on choosing the best available players in the first round, regardless of position. They have nine picks in the draft; none in the second round.
"The way that the list goes that we create, you're probably going to get somebody at No. 18 that you have rated No. 13 or No. 14 because you know it's not going to go in order," Castron said. "We filled some organizational needs after the first round last year, drafting defensemen Nikita Okhotyuk (No. 61) and Daniil Misyul (No. 70). I think we were looking to sure up the back end a little bit in that case.

Good. Always draft BPA. Positional need should only be a tiebreaker, not a criterion.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

Translate from administratish to poor english. We didn't go any deeper - If Rossi will be available - it would be Rossi.

BxDevilsFan

Aug 15, 2020
Bronx
Reading & understanding Paul Castron's comments, I think the Devils are going with the 3 highest rated forwards on their board barring any trades.

#7 - Rossi, Holtz, Raymond or Perfetti
#18 & 20 - Perrault, Holloway, Amirov, Jarvis, Mercer, Gunler.

I would be thrilled with any combination. Obviously I'm holding out hope for Sanderson or Drysdale but this scenario would be okay with me.

youryeah

Jun 21, 2019
I'm kinda getting to the point where I'm completely OK with the devils keeping all three first rounders. Few months ago I was dead set on them trading one of the late picks for a player but now... I wouldn't be disappointed if they kept all three. There's going to be a lot of good players available when they're picking. Someone is going to slip through the cracks

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008

uh no? there's still high quality talent available at #7.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
There's high quality talent 2 spots further back too... Just maybe not at center, which is what Minnesota would be trading up to get.

Disagree, somewhat. It really depends on what the board looks like. That's why it's pointless to discuss this right now. The only way I trade back is if all of Drysdale, Sanderson, and Rossi are taken, which is possible I suppose, but unlikely imo. If drysdale and sanderson are both taken, it most likely means Rossi will be available and I'm just picking him there. Not trading back.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Reading & understanding Paul Castron's comments, I think the Devils are going with the 3 highest rated forwards on their board barring any trades.

#7 - Rossi, Holtz, Raymond or Perfetti
#18 & 20 - Perrault, Holloway, Amirov, Jarvis, Mercer, Gunler.

I would be thrilled with any combination. Obviously I'm holding out hope for Sanderson or Drysdale but this scenario would be okay with me.

I would wager that Castron agrees with me that Sanderson and Drysdale will be gone by #7 -- and that reaching for any defenseman at #20 over some of the high upside forwards likely to be available in those spots would be a very bad idea.

Listen, folks, I'm a huge fan of Schneider and Guhle, but the 2020 draft is ridiculously deep in something the Devils need desperately -- high-caliber scoring forwards to compliment and emerging elite center duo of Hughes & Hischier. And those are the only two defensemen who should be even considered in the #10-#20 range by any team which knows what they're doing at the draft.

I'm personally hoping both Schneider and Guhle go in the #11-#17 range so that it's not an issue. And again, they're both terrific prospects. But 2021 draft is deep on defensemen and 2020 is thin, it's just as simple as that.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Прямые трансляции матчей ХК СКА - Санкт-Петербург. Матчи КХЛ в прямом эфире (this is a link for free online broadcast)
Khusnutdinov is playing in KHL right now. And he is looking fantastic.

As you know, I've been hyping up Khusnutdinov pretty much all of 2020. He's absolutely a phenomenal prospect. I just hope we can come up with a nickname for him soon so that I don't have to keep typing his name. For Americans, it's impossible.

Reactions: Guadana

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I'm kinda getting to the point where I'm completely OK with the devils keeping all three first rounders. Few months ago I was dead set on them trading one of the late picks for a player but now... I wouldn't be disappointed if they kept all three. There's going to be a lot of good players available when they're picking. Someone is going to slip through the cracks

The 2020 draft is probably the deepest for scoring wingers I can remember. Granted, it's only average at center and pretty poor on defense, but the Devils really need scoring wingers. Here's a list of names with future all-star potential, all of whom have a chance to be available at #18 & #20: Jarvis, Mercer, Amirov, Perreault and Gunler. And after that, here's a couple of terrific, well-rounded wingers who in all likelihood will be available with either pick: Holloway, Reichel. And then there's the slightly riskier, super-high upside guys, Mysak and Khusnutdinov. I think the Devils should keep the picks unless and unexpectedly good defenseman comes on the market -- because the names we've heard in the rumor mill are certainly not worth a first-round pick.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
As you know, I've been hyping up Khusnutdinov pretty much all of 2020. He's absolutely a phenomenal prospect. I just hope we can come up with a nickname for him soon so that I don't have to keep typing his name. For Americans, it's impossible.

SKA lost. But as i understand there is covid situation and they were up all their young players from MHL. Even Chibrikov(he was born in 2003).
Marat`s line dominate this game (by eye test, i didn`t see stats), and Khusnutdinov created different opportunities. He translates his skill in adult league and it's only a matter of time before the points go up.

Now i`m starting to root for picking Khusnutdinov by 20th. Unfortunately, I don't think that will happen. After Castron's words, I'm starting to think that Rossi and Zary aren't such an unrealistic outcome.
I like Askarov too, but i don`t see any problem to draft another russian talented goalie from 5th or 6th round like Skotnikov or Akhtyamov. Everything they need is relocating to North America. They will get freedom, time and will not drown in the endless competition at home.

This is not the easiest surname to pronounce for Russians too )

Last edited:

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
The 2020 draft is probably the deepest for scoring wingers I can remember. Granted, it's only average at center and pretty poor on defense, but the Devils really need scoring wingers. Here's a list of names with future all-star potential, all of whom have a chance to be available at #18 & #20: Jarvis, Mercer, Amirov, Perreault and Gunler. And after that, here's a couple of terrific, well-rounded wingers who in all likelihood will be available with either pick: Holloway, Reichel. And then there's the slightly riskier, super-high upside guys, Mysak and Khusnutdinov. I think the Devils should keep the picks unless and unexpectedly good defenseman comes on the market -- because the names we've heard in the rumor mill are certainly not worth a first-round pick.

and 2021 is apparently going to chock full of defensemen...i almost wish we had 3 first rounders next year instead. or too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad