Prospect Info: Ives Final 2020 Draft Rankings -- Top 100

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
You’ll have a chance at one of Sanderson or Drysdale at 7 without giving up 18 anyway. And in the slim chance they’re both gone, start celebrating because you get your choice of Rossi and Raymond. There’s just no reason to give up assets move to 5 unless it’s Quinton Byfield, which will never happen.

Though I agree that the Devils should not trade up, I disagree that Sanderson or Drysdale will be available at #7 overall. These kinds of top defensemen always are in high demand, and all three of the teams picking #4 through #6 have desperate needs on the blueline, especially Detroit and Anaheim. Though Ottawa has equal needs at F and D, they are almost certainly taking a F at #3 overall, which increases the logic in their taking a defenseman at #5 overall.

But again, I agree that a trade-up scenario makes no sense.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
i would wait and see until draft night. assuming lafreniere, byfield and stutzle go in the first three picks,
  • if detroit picks perfetti or rossi (or askarov), i wouldn't trade up, as i am happy with the choice of drysdale, sanderson and raymond
  • if detroit picks raymond or drysdale, i would only offer 7 + 20
  • if detroit picks sanderson, i would offer 7+18 with drysdale as the target

I do feel that Detroit will take Sanderson, but I would not trade the #18 pick for a shot at Drysdale. As much as I love Drysdale, I would certainly not give up the possibility of both (at #7) Rossi or Raymond and (at #18) Jarvis or Mercer for Drysdale. That's just insane.

Reactions: Darkauron

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I do feel that Detroit will take Sanderson, but I would not trade the #18 pick for a shot at Drysdale. As much as I love Drysdale, I would certainly not give up the possibility of both (at #7) Rossi or Raymond and (at #18) Jarvis or Mercer for Drysdale. That's just insane.
the proposal was for 5 and 28 or drysdale and tristen robins

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I would not be trading up for anything really. Trading down with our 18th or 20th pick, id be fine with.
It's unlikely, but I'm all for trading down 2 spots from 7 to 9 if Rossi, Raymond, and one of the two D are still around if Minnesota offered the right sweetener. They would do the move to pick up a C (Rossi) and it would leave us with either Raymond or the D.

Reactions: TBF1972

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

NHL Draft prospects up for debate: Who causes the biggest divide among scouts?

Pronman has Quinn as one of the most divisive prospects in the draft.

“Scout in favor: “He’s a top 5-7 pick for me. He has elite skill and hockey sense. He competes. The skating has improved a lot to being a strength. He scored 50 goals. He keeps getting so much better year after year. I think he’s going to be a big-time player.”

Scout against: “I look at a highly skilled guy who lacks size and speed, who is an older prospect without much of a great track record, and using a high pick on him would worry me a lot. He’s good, but that one could be a bit of a mirage.””

Reactions: My3Sons

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ

“Scout in favor: “He’s a top 5-7 pick for me. He has elite skill and hockey sense. He competes. The skating has improved a lot to being a strength. He scored 50 goals. He keeps getting so much better year after year. I think he’s going to be a big-time player.”

Scout against: “I look at a highly skilled guy who lacks size and speed, who is an older prospect without much of a great track record, and using a high pick on him would worry me a lot. He’s good, but that one could be a bit of a mirage.””

Unless they are thinking of somehow moving up from 18...it seems like he’s likely gone before then. Seems like a reach to take at 7, and from my perspective, not worth moving back several slots even if it’s to acquire a 2nd. Seems like we’d be passing on better prospects taking Quinn at 7 or trading back.

beekay414

#FireLindy
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
I mean, if Quinn is who they want, trade back and land another 2nd. But there's really nothing definitive about that as they've also come out and said they've spoken to Sanderson twice. They are just doing their due diligence.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth

I've been saying this for a little bit now. I honestly think Jack Quinn could possibly be the target at #7. And no, this isn't even because I'm very high on him. I was probably reading a little too much into this, but here goes. It's always fun to come up with a crazy theory like this. One thing that happened this 'offseason' for the Devils was that they did not sign Mitch Hoelscher, the Devils 6th round pick back in 2018. While this may seem a bit inconsequential, he displayed major promise this year in the OHL, improving from 10-30-40 in 68 to 34-42-76 in only 62 games. That is a huge improvement, and even though he is an overage prospect in the OHL, one might still expect him to be signed by the Devils because of these great numbers and seemingly great play. But what if the Devils saw something different; they saw someone who didn't improve, but got absolutely carried by a dominant linemate to a huge breakout season. They saw someone who's 40 point improvement was not because of individual effort, but the effort of the right wing on his line. Who would that right wing be? None other than Jack Quinn himself. Call it a stretch, well because it very much is, but I feel like this could be semi-telling of their feelings on Quinn. Quinn, while some may disagree, would be a fantastic pickup for the Devils at #7, and is just about exactly the kind of player we need in our top 6

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I've been saying this for a little bit now. I honestly think Jack Quinn could possibly be the target at #7. And no, this isn't even because I'm very high on him. I was probably reading a little too much into this, but here goes. It's always fun to come up with a crazy theory like this. One thing that happened this 'offseason' for the Devils was that they did not sign Mitch Hoelscher, the Devils 6th round pick back in 2018. While this may seem a bit inconsequential, he displayed major promise this year in the OHL, improving from 10-30-40 in 68 to 34-42-76 in only 62 games. That is a huge improvement, and even though he is an overage prospect in the OHL, one might still expect him to be signed by the Devils because of these great numbers and seemingly great play. But what if the Devils saw something different; they saw someone who didn't improve, but got absolutely carried by a dominant linemate to a huge breakout season. They saw someone who's 40 point improvement was not because of individual effort, but the effort of the right wing on his line. Who would that right wing be? None other than Jack Quinn himself. Call it a stretch, well because it very much is, but I feel like this could be semi-telling of their feelings on Quinn. Quinn, while some may disagree, would be a fantastic pickup for the Devils at #7, and is just about exactly the kind of player we need in our top 6
the Devils have had months since their season ended -- I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't speak to most of the guys in their top 15-20 of their list multiple times.

From Castron:
"We got a pretty good handle on the guys before we got shut down, then from March on we had our scout meetings and met with players on Zoom. Also, the video system has improved so much over the years that you can watch all of an individual player’s shifts for a game in 12-to-15 minutes. It’s not the same as being there because the video misses some of the stuff that they do away from the puck, but it also doesn’t lie. The video has been a great tool for us."

" Certain guys that we’re keying on we’ve talked to two to three times and our meetings last 20-to-30 minutes. We go over a whole load of questions. We have our sports psychologist in there, too. You’re asking, ‘How do you see yourself as a player? When do you think you’ll be able to track into an NHL lineup? What’s your development path, career path, injury history?"
Devils scouting director Paul Castron talks prepping for draft in pandemic, 3 1st-rounders, career path | Q & A

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
the Devils have had months since their season ended -- I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't speak to most of the guys in their top 15-20 of their list multiple times.

From Castron:
"We got a pretty good handle on the guys before we got shut down, then from March on we had our scout meetings and met with players on Zoom. Also, the video system has improved so much over the years that you can watch all of an individual player’s shifts for a game in 12-to-15 minutes. It’s not the same as being there because the video misses some of the stuff that they do away from the puck, but it also doesn’t lie. The video has been a great tool for us."

" Certain guys that we’re keying on we’ve talked to two to three times and our meetings last 20-to-30 minutes. We go over a whole load of questions. We have our sports psychologist in there, too. You’re asking, ‘How do you see yourself as a player? When do you think you’ll be able to track into an NHL lineup? What’s your development path, career path, injury history?"
Devils scouting director Paul Castron talks prepping for draft in pandemic, 3 1st-rounders, career path | Q & A
Oh yea 100% I would hope they’d interview just about everyone in positions 1-40 with all the time they’ve had. My post wasn’t really referencing that though as part of the evidence, it was mostly about the whole Hoelscher thing

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Also from the same article i posted above:
" Definitely. It’s an opportunity to really set the franchise up if we could hit it big with these three picks. Trading a first is always a possibility, but if we get a player that helps us right away and it’s a good fit for our team, then it’s a good move. It’s a luxury to have those picks. There are teams in a cap situation, so I’m sure we’ll get some interest in there at 18 and 20. I can’t speak for Fitzy, but I don’t see us moving from seven."

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Before reading into this and imagining trading up or Quinn at 7oa scenarios remember that 1) they could have interviewed him before the qualifying round got the Coyotes in the playoffs or, more likely, 2) they had a whole lot of time to interview all the top prospects who interest them multiple times.

Edit: I guess my brilliant observation already got covered by everyone else.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

I pictured the "scout in favor" as Kermit the Frog and the "scout against" as Statler & Waldorf.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Unless they are thinking of somehow moving up from 18...it seems like he’s likely gone before then. Seems like a reach to take at 7, and from my perspective, not worth moving back several slots even if it’s to acquire a 2nd. Seems like we’d be passing on better prospects taking Quinn at 7 or trading back.

I ranked Quinn just ahead of Holtz and just behind Jarvis as the best RW in the 2020 draft. These three RWs, along with Raymond and Perfetti, proved the toughest span of players for me to order in my entire rankings. It's because they are all such outstanding prospects, and they all offer such diverse talents.

My point is not whether I am right or wrong. My point is that there is no opinion that I am alone on. Last year, I thought I had ranked Moritz Seider higher than anyone on earth at #12, and then the Detroit Red Wings drafted him at #6 overall. This year, I thought I was the only person who saw Tristen Robins as a first-round caliber pick (ranked #17), but then someone on these threads sent me a major ranking (hockeyprospect.com) I had not been aware of which had Robins even higher at #13.

What we need to understand is that there will be NHL teams which have Jack Quinn ahead of Alexander Holtz on their draft boards, and it's not impossible that the Devils are among these teams. Now, I love Holtz -- I don't think I've written a negative word about him all year long. But, when breaking down Holtz vs. Quinn (I ranked Quinn #10 and Holtz #11 overall and it was as close as it gets), this is what it came down to, for me. Holtz's shot is the best in the draft, but Quinn is not too far behind. I also give Holtz a stiff advantage when it comes to hands -- I think Holtz has a beautiful set of mitts, and it's the most underappreciated facet of his game. The skating I would call about even. But I had Quinn ranked as higher than Holtz in every other category. So, I bit the bullet and said Quinn by a hair.

It's important to realize that I am a fan of both Quinn and Holtz and, as a Devils fan, would love either of these kids on my team. But it's also important to realize that if the Devils choice came down to Holtz vs. Quinn, there's a real chance their preference is Quinn. I'd like to end this little diatribe by adding that neither Quinn nor Holtz were my highest rated RW in 2020 -- that was Seth Jarvis, who I think is more of a dual-threat and line-driver than either Holtz or Quinn and plays with more edge, despite not lacking the prodigal pure-scoring upside of the aforementioned pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->