Confirmed with Link: Ivan Fedotov has arrived in Philadelphia (Goalie, 2015 draft pick); made his NHL debut (Apr. 1)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Joins the team nine years after being drafted--does that happen a lot?
By the same team? I don't think that's happened that I can recall.

Jiri Dopita was drafted, twice, first in 1992 by Boston, then again in 1998 by the Islanders, got traded to the panthers, and then to the Flyers and finally showed up in 2001 at age 33. Back then you had to be drafted before you could come over no matter how old you were.

Last edited:

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Joins the team nine years after being drafted--does that happen a lot?
Slava Fetisov was drafted by the Devils in 1978 and joined them in 1989. Although obviously Soviet Union so different (but getting similar again) times. The Devils also had to re-draft him to keep his rights in 1983

Reactions: BillDineen

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Slava Fetisov was drafted by the Devils in 1978 and joined them in 1989. Although obviously Soviet Union so different (but getting similar again) times. The Devils also had to re-draft him to keep his rights in 1983
Proud Plat

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Flyers were also the first team to draft a Russian

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don’t consider myself a goalie prospect expert when it comes to play. But as a student of other disciplines, I have been raving about the Flyers organizational depth in net for years. It’s an unparalleled harem.

Even prior to this net wealth (HA) the supposed inability for the Flyers to find goalies has always been one of the most bizarre myths. Yes, it is true the Flyers organization and media chose goalies as the easy scapegoats, but it's weird that the international hockey media all went along with it. Overall, this team has had good goaltending years more often than they've had bad. But to hear everyone tell the story, you'd think it's almost all a comedy show with the occasional good year being a complete shock. A thing the media will roll with years in a row. "Unbelievable the Flyers finally have good goaltending! Despite having it the year before! And before that!"

That rant aside, the Flyers are doing this right. This is maybe the only thing they are doing right. You need this goalie pipeline. This is a vital component of cap efficiency, the ability to always have a Next Goalie Up instead of chaining yourself to one for Many Terms and Many Caps.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Even prior to this net wealth (HA) the supposed inability for the Flyers to find goalies has always been one of the most bizarre myths. Yes, it is true the Flyers organization and media chose goalies as the easy scapegoats, but it's weird that the international hockey media all went along with it. Overall, this team has had good goaltending years more often than they've had bad.

That rant aside, the Flyers are doing this right. This is maybe the only thing they are doing right. You need this goalie pipeline. This is a vital component of cap efficiency, the ability to always have a Next Goalie Up instead of chaining yourself to one for Many Terms and Many Caps.

Biff, I’m just saying the Flyers are chock-full of himbos in net.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
While Viktor Khatulev was indeed an ethnic Russian, it is probably more correct to call him a Soviet or Latvian player, as he was born and raised in Soviet Latvia. And as for ethnic Russians the first one was probably Ivan Boldirev, drafted by the Bruins in 1969.

snoop88

Apr 15, 2012
Are either Fedotov or Kolosov elite goalie prospects or nah? Don’t know much about them.

Flyers Reddit is acting like we just convinced prime Hasek to come over.

Reactions: BernieParent

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Tbf he was Latvian technically! But yeh, the Flyers history with Russians/Soviets is actually one of the more favourable in league history despite popular belief.

They were the first team to have a scout beyond the Iron Curtain too... and ofc Shero had 100% Russian blood with both parents born there... and a lot of the Flyers tactics in the 1970s were based around Soviet hockey... and they were also one of the ~5 teams through the 1990s who drafted the most guys from ex-Soviet states.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
While Viktor Khatulev was indeed an ethnic Russian, it is probably more correct to call him a Soviet or Latvian player, as he was born and raised in Soviet Latvia. And as for ethnic Russians the first one was probably Ivan Boldirev, drafted by the Bruins in 1969.
Being Latvian only emboldens me.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Just how eerie is it that we are now the Bunnyman's name is having a resurrection... as we approach Easter Eve, 2024?

Doo doo doo do
Doo doo doo do
... You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. Your next stop,
The New Era of Orange
Flyers fans are used to living in… The Twilight zone aka Perpetual Mediocrity!

Reactions: orangey

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Are either Fedotov or Kolosov elite goalie prospects or nah? Don’t know much about them.

Flyers Reddit is acting like we just convinced prime Hasek to come over.
The Flyers keep name dropping Kolosov publicly, which means they think he is an A-level prospect.

Fedotov, he’s 27 right now, so that is beyond prospect. He was the starting goalie at the Olympics and also the one of the 2 or 3 biggest teams in Russia for the time he was there, so he has valid claim the title of best goalie not in the NHL.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
The Flyers keep name dropping Kolosov publicly, which means they think he is an A-level prospect.

Fedotov, he’s 27 right now, so that is beyond prospect. He was the starting goalie at the Olympics and also the one of the 2 or 3 biggest teams in Russia for the time he was there, so he has valid claim the title of best goalie not in the NHL.

No. Just no.

Fedotov is 27 and has 1 fantastic season under his belt. 2021-22.
Other than that, there's nothing to suggest he's the best goalie not in the NHL.
I mean he's only been a starter for 3 seasons his entire KHL career.

I'm cheering for him, but, sweet jesus, let's temper expectations here.:eek2:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
No. Just no.

Fedotov is 27 and has 1 fantastic season under his belt. 2021-22.
Other than that, there's nothing to suggest he's the best goalie not in the NHL.
I mean he's only been a starter for 3 seasons his entire KHL career.

I'm cheering for him, but, sweet jesus, let's temper expectations here.:eek2:
3 seasons is more than enough to establish that level, the question having been not playing in one year that would’ve made it 4. It also doesn’t automatically equate to nhl stardom

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
The thing is, while Fedotov indeed wasn't too good (to say it mildly) in the KHL this season, it sort of doesn't mean much. He has shaken off the rust in the KHL and now pretty much anything can happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: BernieParent

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Right, Fedotov has gotten a lot of positive attention and Tortorella can't stand that, so he's possibly going to do something stupid to make it all about himself. Then blame his own family.
After all that the organization has done to procure Fedotov, if Tortorella trashes him, Torts could well be greasing his own skids for a slide out of town. Torts might find that the ice on which he is standing is thinner than he thinks.
I don’t believe that the crap with Couturier sat well with Briere, even though he covered for Torts. Add in some of his other bizarre behavior such as ducking pressers and the like and Torts is looking weirder than ever. He’s the one that could probably use some maintenance days.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
3 seasons is more than enough to establish that level, the question having been not playing in one year that would’ve made it 4. It also doesn’t automatically equate to nhl stardom

Right, but to say he has a valid claim as the best goalie not in the NHL is really, really pushing it.
Even at his peak he was never considered as such.
And even for those 3 years, they're not consecutive. He was a backup at Traktor to Will. .

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Right, but to say he has a valid claim as the best goalie not in the NHL is really, really pushing it.
Even at his peak he was never considered as such.
I don’t see these guys play other than the few times they make it on TV here, so feel free to accept the challenge and go on. I know there are some others that have aged out, but if they’re already past that, I wouldn’t really consider them as such.

Reactions: Zine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad