Speculation: Next head coach of the San Jose Sharks

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
I’d be interested to see Keefe with a properly constructed roster. The Leafs have always been so top heavy and never seemed to focus on the D as much as they should have. Assuming Grier builds this team the right way it might not be a bad hire honestly. Either way, I think at the very least he should be interviewed, for the sake of due diligence and all.

I actually like the idea of Keefe. I have my doubt about him being the ideal coach to get a team over the hump but for a rebuilding team that looks to have a lot of offensive talent I see a lot of upside.

I also don't mind that he will bring insight on Marner and if he is a player that Grier might look at to accelerate the rebuild. IMO Marner is a couple years too old to be the ideal candidate but given his history with Patty and Jumbo I think there is a path for this too happen and Keefe's insight would be huge.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Keep Keefe away from this team. That guy had a loser mentality and we don't need that. The only reason he's relevant is because Dubas liked him and forced the Leafs brass to spend the last 5 years trying to convince the fans and media he's a good coach.

X's and O's aside, his game 7 performance was embarrassing. That lame, butter soft, "let's try hard and believe" pregame speech followed by his embarrassing admission that he gets out-coached every playoffs should send him packing for good.

Luckily I think Grier wouldnt stand for a coach like that.

Edit: here's the clip of his speech compared to 2019 berube's. Is that a coach you want?

Last edited:
Reactions: OversKy

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
Keep Keefe away from this team. That guy had a loser mentality and we don't need that. The only reason he's relevant is because Dubas liked him and forced the Leafs brass to spend the last 5 years trying to convince the fans and media he's a good coach.

X's and O's aside, his game 7 performance was embarrassing. That lame, butter soft, "let's try hard and believe" pregame speech followed by his embarrassing admission that he gets out-coached every playoffs should send him packing for good.

Luckily I think Grier wouldnt stand for a coach like that.

Edit: here's the clip of his speech compared to 2019 berube's. Is that a coach you want?

He was relevant because he coaching resume was pretty solid.

Berube's been behind the bench for 8 NHL season and has only gotten past the 2nd round once... Had that not resulted in a Cup he too would likely be labelled in a similar fashion as Keefe.

As for being soft... following Babcock that might have been the best approach and it isn't crazy to think he has the ability to evolve.

Finally, the job of next Shark's coach is going to be 90% about development and entertainment.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
No to Keefe. Last thing we need is to hire a HC that's fresh off one of the biggest choke jobs in recent history, doesn't matter what his track record is.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I don’t want Keefe because he called Matthews chase for 70 goals a distraction. Easily could celebrate a player’s accomplishment, instead he bemoaned it. That’s not good leadership.
And said the only reason the leafs struggle in the playoffs is because everyone tries harder because they are the leafs and they want to add to the curse lol.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I don’t want Keefe because he called Matthews chase for 70 goals a distraction. Easily could celebrate a player’s accomplishment, instead he bemoaned it. That’s not good leadership.

It'd be like the Darryl Sutter years all over again.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
If we hire Sheldon Keefe I'm gonna be pissed, he's terrible, one of the worst coaches in the league

He coasted to regular season wins on the back of high end talent, he would be so much worse than Quinn was here

Reactions: Sandisfan

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I could give or take Keefe. I don't really think who we hire now is all that important. Bring in a player's coach and let the young kids learn the game without any added pressure.

Reactions: themelkman

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
And said the only reason the leafs struggle in the playoffs is because everyone tries harder because they are the leafs and they want to add to the curse lol.
It's worse, he said that other teams set up the leaves to beat themselves, which is basically an admission that he gets out coached immediately in every single playoff game lol.

Keep that loser away. We're a winning franchise now

Reactions: themelkman

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Haven't seen him mentioned anywhere in connection with any head coaching vacancy but wouldn't Jay Pandolfo make sense?

Reactions: bigsjfan

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Haven't seen him mentioned anywhere in connection with any head coaching vacancy but wouldn't Jay Pandolfo make sense?
To stay with Celebrini?

May not be interested in NHL game (yet)?
Only 2 seasons as college HC.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Sharks ranked worst HC job of those open

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad