Confirmed with Link: Ivan Fedotov has arrived in Philadelphia (Goalie, 2015 draft pick); made his NHL debut (Apr. 1)

Boocowski

Mar 31, 2024
I'm new here just like the big Russian and I am excited by this for two reasons. One, he's HUGE. Don't know how agile he is but heck, he can stay on his knees and still fill the top of the net. Two, if they can get him out of Russia ..........(I don't think I have to finish that sentence).

Reactions: BernieParent

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I'm new here just like the big Russian and I am excited by this for two reasons. One, he's HUGE. Don't know how agile he is but heck, he can stay on his knees and still fill the top of the net. Two, if they can get him out of Russia ..........(I don't think I have to finish that sentence).
Prelim scouting is that he’s pretty quick too.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
1712018173315.png

Reactions: onlylordsvsmorebp

RonHextall27

Mar 12, 2008
Halifax, NS
Those vertical stripes on his pads make them look like they are on the wrong legs lol.

Thought he played well, some juicy rebounds but kept it neat and tidy for the most part. Looks to be confident playing the puck too which is a bonus.

Reactions: Curufinwe

raydavies29

Nov 23, 2018
ivan fedotov can not succeed with rocky thompson around... we all know how rocky 4 ended... this team is a meme .;probably hired rocky thompson after watching the movie and thought it would put fans in the seats

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Would have been awesome to get him a win in his first game

Shame the Flyers under Torts are the worst OT team in the league

Got burned using 2 defensemen all 22-23 season and then this season he follows it up by having no clue what forward combinations to send out. He wasn't lying when he said "I don't understand modern offense."

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
He looks like a pretty darn good goalie to me. Hard to argue with the athletic ability and apparent polish to his game. Have to keep reminding myself this is a 27 year old pro from the second best league in the world and not some kid so I guess that's part of the reason he looks so good. Seems to be quite a find though to step in and prop up the team like that during a potentially disastrous 2nd period. Many others would not have been able to. Not to look to far ahead but he may be the starter here by next season at least if this wasn't some sore of fluke... which I don't think it was. Dude can play.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I’m a little miffed that his name is actually pronounced fuh-DOH-tov. I’ve been reading it as FED-uh-tov for nine freaking years, and I’m not prepared to change.

I think it was the same for Provorov. Pronounced Pro-VOH-rov natively, but over here was pronounced as PRO-voh-rov

Reactions: Larry44

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I think it was the same for Provorov. Pronounced Pro-VOH-rov natively, but over here was pronounced as PRO-voh-rov
Chuck Kaiton, the former radio announcer for the Whalers, distributed a list of correct pronunciations many years ago. He was a stickler. He told a story of player who once refused to correct media on a mispronunciation though it could have been Sergei Sam-SO-nov who the announcer did state that way emphatically rather than Sam-son-ov.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Chuck Kaiton, the former radio announcer for the Whalers, distributed a list of correct pronunciations many years ago. He was a stickler. He told a story of player who once refused to correct media on a mispronunciation though it could have been Sergei Sam-SO-nov who the announcer did state that way emphatically rather than Sam-son-ov.
Just the Russian and English languages are very different, including the phonetics, so if for whatever reason the announcers will be willing to pronounce it closer to the Russian way they'll pretty much have to do it from scratch. I mean, in Russian even Ivan is not "EYE-van" (how I hear it most frequently in English sources), it is "ee-VAHN".

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Just the Russian and English languages are very different, including the phonetics, so if for whatever reason the announcers will be willing to pronounce it closer to the Russian way they'll pretty much have to do it from scratch. I mean, in Russian even Ivan is not "EYE-van" (how I hear it most frequently in English sources), it is "ee-VAHN".

It's the same for French. Announcers try more and more to pronounce the names closer to how they sound in French, but they're still not correct.

In this example, Ivan is closer to the Russian pronunciation, but there's isn't even the "n" sound at the end. The end sound is more like Bernie Parent without the 't' sound, or like "aunt" (British pronunciation) without the "nt" sound.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

I still have PTSD flashbacks from the pre-2000s of US announcers trying to pronounce French names.

Reactions: flyersnorth

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I still have PTSD flashbacks from the pre-2000s of US announcers trying to pronounce French names.
A funny recollection when Derek Sanderson, in his surliest/unintentionally amusing days of broadcasting, being corrected on the proper pronunciation of Daniel Berthiaume. Let's just say he didn't care.

• Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad