OT: IV. Metroplex Sports Talk

Brand New Stars

I'll just respectfully disagree on the America's team debate. I never understood how that could come about when they probably have a lot more people that hate them than love them.

Jerry sure doesn't seem loyal to Dez or Murray right now. That could change, but it looks like he's running Murray into the ground then chasing after Peterson.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Except everything I ever see regarding polls and jersey sales, etc. show the Cowboys to be the most popular team in America. They may also have the most that hate them. Just like more people probably hate the Yankees, etc. and other popular teams.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
Noticing a lot of people online saying Romo had a bad game. He had a game winning drive and was 19-31 293 2TD 0 INT. Very good game.

He's also a clutch player.

He has the highest 4th quarter QBR in NFL history and the most 4th quarter comebacks since 2006.

Probably has something to do with what happened before the 4th. Though to be fair the whole offense was struggling most of the game.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Yet I've never heard the Yankees called America's team.

You know I'm talking about "flagship" teams in different sports/leagues. The Cowboys are America's Team, not some other team. Everyone knows that teams that are really popular also have a lot of haters.

Brand New Stars

Yes, I do know what you're talking about. I'm just proving my point that I think it's extremely pompous of Jerry Jones/The Cowboys/Cowboys fans to call them "America's team". There's no such thing in any sport.

Brand New Stars

Well statements like that are why I simply can't like the team.

TangoMcBride

Feb 28, 2008
The DF Dub
Cowboys fans take more **** than any professional sports team in North America so I take great joy in seeing those haters get their panties in a wad over some silly moniker.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
I think NFL Films came up with it. It was certainly around way before Jones came along. It's something that was embraced and the NFL endorses it. They put out a history of the team type video set maybe 10 years ago with America's Team in the title.

Brand New Stars

Oh ok, it must be super difficult to root for a team with such a rich history.

Brand New Stars

Yet a large portion of people tune in to watch what they think could be an epic failure. That isn't the definition of popular.

Brand New Stars

Entertaining? Absolutely. The pure definition of popular is very different though. Guess that's nitpicking, because I'm sure we agree on their entertainment factor.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Oh ok, it must be super difficult to root for a team with such a rich history.

You know better. The difficulty of rooting for them the past 10-20 years has been unrelated to that rich history. It's been teams failing on the field and making bad decisions off it, and having to hear about it from those who relish in it.

Sounds like now you're even trying to deny that the team is popular. Even other haters don't usually deny that.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
Yet a large portion of people tune in to watch what they think could be an epic failure. That isn't the definition of popular.

The Cowboys are Americas team since the 70's, this isn't some new thing, mainly because back then they were one of the only teams getting consistent national coverage, so all those parts of the country without teams started adopting them. Hell they are probably one of the most popular teams in Canada and Mexico too. Not because people want to see failure, if that were true the Raiders would be more popular, but because people remember the glory of years past and pass it on to their children. You can deny that if you want, but that's what's really going on. Hell, when I lived in Japan my landlord used to wear a Dallas Cowboys cap in the Winter, and a Yankees hat come summertime.

Brand New Stars

People want to see the Cowboys failure because it is a spectacle. The Raiders are a joke. The Cowboys find a way to give hope then snatch it back.

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
bring on Green Bay, also thanks NFL for the help

I'mma quote Bart Scott on this one. "Can't wait." It's a shame I'll be working throughout gameday.

But Green Bay won't be easy.

I'm a Packers fan but I cringe at times the Packers don't show up/get blindsided; case in point, at Buffalo and at Detroit.

Absolutely not. Jerry Jones and the fans make it impossible to do so (yes, I know if I lived somewhere else the fans would be bad).

Whether haters like it or not, Jerry Jones is at the level of the late Al Davis, the late Dr. Jerry Buss, and the late George Steinbrenner. Cowboys fans should be grateful to have a team owner like him, and this is a Packers fan, saying this.

Yet I've never heard the Yankees called America's team.

It's because of politically-charged connotations both inside and outside the USA.

Pardon my Spanish, pero irónicamente, yo he aprendido español aquí en los Estados Unidos hasta al punto que refiero a este país como Yanquilandia. :snide:

...but ironically, I have learned Spanish here in the USA to the point I refer to this country as Yankeeland. :naughty:

Not to mention the ratings.

At least Jerry Jones got that part right; the Cowboys even have exclusive rights to Mexico, if I recalled correctly. :naughty:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
People want to see the Cowboys failure because it is a spectacle. The Raiders are a joke. The Cowboys find a way to give hope then snatch it back.

This isn't even a reasonable argument. I highly, highly doubt this is true for more than a small percentage of their fanbase.

Brand New Stars

Lol what? I didn't say Cowboy fans want to see them fail. People that aren't fans tune in because they know the Cowboys can implode at any second. It's the entertainment factor of an extremely volatile team.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
Yeah because you routinely sell out a stadium as huge as Jerry World and lead the league in attendance for 6 years while having ridiculous ticket prices because people like to see the cowboys fail. Its why 3 of the top selling Jerseys are Cowboys Jersey, second only to the last Super Bowl champion, see Blackhawk effect. People looking to just see a train wreck aren't shelling out the money to sit in Jerry World to do so, and they aren't buying Jerseys either. You can think however you want, but I guarantee there are more diehard Cowboys fans out there then rubber neckers out to see a train wreck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad