OT: IV. Metroplex Sports Talk

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
Damn Im glad they won. I prove yet again that I know jack **** about football by talking **** on Romo earlier this season. Ill just sit back and watch from now in. Good stuff.

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
I wanna make a YouTube video bet:

If the Cowboys defeated the Packers this upcoming Sunday, January 11, 2015, and won Super Bowl XLIX, I'd make a YouTube video of the Dallas Cowboys with Rhinestone Cowboy by Glen Campbell as the background music.

If the Packers defeated the Cowboys and won Super Bowl XLIX instead, please make a YouTube Green Bay Packers video with Green and Yellow by Lil Wayne as bgm.

If neither team won Super Bowl XLIX, then this bet is negated.

Any takers?

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Man all that talk about the PI penalty drove me crazy. If it was going to be called it should have been on both players(Pettigrew slapping Hitchens' hands away and grabbing his facemask https://vine.co/v/OdD5hWMBK2q ..conveniently almost all replays of it started after that). So a no call is fine. Turns out Hitchens apparently held at the start of the route and Dez came onto the field to argue the call without a helmet so there were other things they could have called but instead everyone is obsessing about the PI. Again I'll complain about my dislike for football camerawork (worst TV sport, not the best) and their too-quick cuts and zooming in way, way, wayyyy too far. Can't ever tell what's actually happening pre or post snap because of it.

The other problem with almost everyone on TV acting like the PI cost the Lions the game- uh, there were also several other game changing type calls that went in the Lions' favor throughout the game. Those were just as important as that last one. The most egregious off the top of my head was not calling an obvious roughing the punter on the Lions when they had called running into the kicker on Dallas right before- a call that lead to a Lions TD.

Last edited:

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Noticing a lot of people online saying Romo had a bad game. He had a game winning drive and was 19-31 293 2TD 0 INT. Very good game.

He's also a clutch player.

He has the highest 4th quarter QBR in NFL history and the most 4th quarter comebacks since 2006.

Brand New Stars

Romo hate will always be insane. I wish he weren't on the Cowboys so I could wish for him to win a Superbowl.

Brand New Stars

Absolutely not. Jerry Jones and the fans make it impossible to do so (yes, I know if I lived somewhere else the fans would be bad).

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Jerry even though his GMing most of the time has pissed me off (although arguably GM of the year this year) has come across as a likeable guy to me. On some level I've always liked him even if I've hated him as a GM. Purely as an owner he's as good as there's ever been and has had a bigger impact on his sport than any other executive could ever have.

Did you like the Stars when Hicks was F'ing everything up? How about when there was no owner?

I've done the calculations and JJ is 78 quadrillion times better an owner than Hicks was.

Also what's wrong with the fans? It's often hard to be a Cowboys fans, we are tortured (until this season) not only by our team but by everyone who's not a Cowboys fan, even in Texas..or maybe especially in Texas.

Brand New Stars

You are the only person I've heard of that likes Jerry. He just seems like an entitled ******* to me.

The fans for the most part are just terrible. The blaming Romo for past failures is a joke. People kept overestimating the Cowboys talent level, thus leading to those fans blaming everything on Romo when things went wrong. This year has proven that the talent level wasn't high enough to correctly support a great QB. I never want to hear the fans call the team America's team again either. If they were that, how come Dallas fans let other fans flood into the stadium every Sunday?

Hicks was a good owner for a while until he went broke so I don't really get that comparison. Not like he was a horrible cheap owner the whole time he was here.

Edit- Seriously that word isn't allowed? Interesting.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Jerry was always a good owner and sometimes a good GM. Frankly recently though it's more his son's influence I would guess. Although he even admitted once I think that he would have fired himself as GM by now if it was someone other than him.hahahaha.. Much better business man than Hicks. I like that he's always seemed loyal to players and seems 'real' to me, relatively speaking. Comes across as a happy and friendly guy. Entitled sure, but man how could anyone in his position not feel that way to some level? I agree regarding Romo but that's football fans in general.

As far as America's Team goes, well every other stadium is flooded by Cowboys fans when they're in town. I think in Dallas it's the set up of the stadium. Sometimes selling more tickets than other times and it's easier for other team's fans to buy seats well in advance and Cowboys fans waiting longer. Cowboy home crowds aren't the best in the league but we aren't calling it Dallas' Team but America's, which it is. It's incredibly amazing considering their futility for two decades. If they had stayed consistently successful during that time it's hard to comprehend just how popular they'd be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad