OT: IV. Metroplex Sports Talk

Timani

Maybe Dez should've just gone down. I get the effort, but scoring too early would've put them in bad position as Green Bay was moving the ball on them very quickly. If he just focused on the catch and let Murray run it in a play or two later after burning some clock then no controversial play occurs.

Also, a decent portion of the loss goes on Bailey. If he played like he did for most of the year then they would've only been down by 3 at that point and would've kicked the FG to tie it. Green Bay probably would've gone down to score, but at least they would've had a chance to stop them and force OT.

Dez just going down would have not constituted a "football move", but would have allowed him to just catch it, which to me, seems like the argument for allowing the play as called on the field to stand. By not just catching it, but then rather reaching out for the end zone, should mean he conducted a flipping "football move".

Also, if you go back and look at the play, it appears to me that AFTER coming down with the ball in his hands, Dez gets tripped by Shields causing him to go down. I contend that if Shields had not tripped him, he would have run into the end zone and would not have had to dive. Dez catches his left toe on the turf after his leg gets kicked by Shields' shin making it two separate acts...the catch and two feet down, trip by Shields to cause Dez to go down. There is a good look at that in the link below.

Oh well. Pretty good read from Grantland about it.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/a-guide-to-getting-past-the-dez-bryant-catch/

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Dez just going down would have not constituted a "football move", but would have allowed him to just catch it, which to me, seems like the argument for allowing the play as called on the field to stand. By not just catching it, but then rather reaching out for the end zone, should mean he conducted a flipping "football move".

Also, if you go back and look at the play, it appears to me that AFTER coming down with the ball in his hands, Dez gets tripped by Shields causing him to go down. I contend that if Shields had not tripped him, he would have run into the end zone and would not have had to dive. Dez catches his left toe on the turf after his leg gets kicked by Shields' shin making it two separate acts...the catch and two feet down, trip by Shields to cause Dez to go down. There is a good look at that in the link below.

Oh well. Pretty good read from Grantland about it.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/a-guide-to-getting-past-the-dez-bryant-catch/

Awesome article. The NFL is really tough to watch. I love football but can barely get myself to watch if the Cowboys aren't playing. And until this year they've been tough to watch too. I probably won't even watch the Super Bowl. The league is such a juggernaut that it has been able to withstand the pile of crap that it is but at some point you think the effects of that crapitude will start to show.

I much prefer college and Texas high school football..but even watching any football on TV is tough because the production doesn't show it in a good way. It feels claustrophobic and constrictive. You can't really tell what's happening other than right where the ball is because the cameras are zoomed in so tight.

People say hockey is a bad TV sport but I think it's fantastic for TV relative to football. Football gives you nothing like the view you get if you're there in person where you can see the entire defensive alignment pre-snap and see what's happening downfield post-snap.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
That's funny, I feel like it's hard to know the specifics of a football game in person without having isolated views of the action and commentary. You definitely have a better sense of the scope of certain plays with the whole field laid out before a drive starts and such, though.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
In person after a snap on a pass play I'm looking down field at least part of the time to see who's open, etc. Without that on a pass play it's a mystery until the ball is right on the receiver and even then there's a lot about the play you don't know. If a QB is running around for his life you can't look and see if there's some guy wide open or if everyone is covered or what the heck is happening. I guess it depends on if you find all the intricacies interesting.

BigMacOnIce

Oct 13, 2014
My take that turns into an overall Mavs rant...

Amare Stoudemire to the Mavs. Good pickup or not?

Depends on if his knees hold up. The Mavs are famous for turning once-great-stars that were washed up back to respectability. He provides solid rebounding and killer offensive inside moves when he's on his game though.

Prediction: He'll play solid minutes backing up Tyson Chandler and in front of two of Bernard James/Dwight Powell/Greg Smith depending on who they cut. If they cut Smith and extend James' 10-day contract or sign Jermaine O'Neal up off the couch then their frontcourt will be just as stacked as their backcourt. Then the FO can get young Powell some limited minutes and valuable NBA practice time while shedding the most lackluster player on the Mavs in Smith. Man, the West is as tough in the NBA as it is in the NHL.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Great pickup. Mavericks are soooo deep this year. Not unlike the 2011 team in that sense with Terry, Haywood and Barea coming off the bench. It's not mind-blowing, top-end talent, but this is the kind of roster that Carlisle can make hum.

BigMacOnIce

Oct 13, 2014
Wasn't meant to be for the Mavs, Rondo effectively sunk the ship. Also Josh Hamilton(!) back on the Rangers and the first round of the NFL draft is tonight. Oh, and apparently there's this sport called "hockey" on tomorrow.

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
Since when the Cowboys became an Evil Empire?

Objectively speaking, I thought the 49ers started calling themselves the "49er Empire" since the end of the 80s.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Cowboys looking to acquire Manziel, supposedly.

What could possibly go wrong :laugh:

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Evening..

So being new to DFW and just have 2 questions.

Do most Stars games start at 7:30 central? Also how often does the DART rail run to downtown/victory? Most likely taking the blue line from Garland to transfer somewhere before Victory, thanks!

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
DART schedules easily found on the internet. They run often, but you need to check to arrive half an hour before either the 7 or 7.30 start.

Game trains run 20 minutes after the game, at least on TRE (which I use) plus there are usually regular trains running right near the end of the game. I always know the schedule, so in case of blowout or other reason, I can take one a bit earlier than the true end of the game + 20 minutes.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
Regarding the Doncic and now Porzingis trades, it's interesting to see what a sub-par drafting team willing to part with their draft picks looks like. Mavs want to win (eventually) and are betting on themselves that they do. Must be nice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad