OT: IV. Metroplex Sports Talk

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I'm actually not sure how strong of an argument the attendance angle is given how many fans of other teams travel to Arlington. I do think the jersey angle is pretty strong though.

Whatever the reason, whether the team is good or bad, the Cowboys seem to always be relevant. The whole "America's team" label makes me cringe a little, but you can't argue the popularity of the team.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
I'm actually not sure how strong of an argument the attendance angle is given how many fans of other teams travel to Arlington. I do think the jersey angle is pretty strong though.

Whatever the reason, whether the team is good or bad, the Cowboys seem to always be relevant. The whole "America's team" label makes me cringe a little, but you can't argue the popularity of the team.

Yeah, some fans travel but that's not what fills the Stadium every single home game for 6 years straight

Edit add: The next closest team is almost 12,000 fewer in attendance per game, basically the Cowboys are the TML or Yankees of Football

Brand New Stars

The number of you that keep putting words in my mouth is comical. Did I not say "tune in" during my last post? That clearly implies watching on tv. Not once did I say people pay to go to the stadium to watch them lose.

You can either keep arguing about how popular they are, or just admit the "America's team" moniker is dumb. There's no such thing in any sport. The closest thing I've seen to "America's team" was when the Saints won the Superbowl because it barely seemed like anyone would root against them thanks to Katrina.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
You think it's dumb but it is what they're called nonetheless. I might not like it either if I didn't like them, but oh well. The evidence is pretty strong that they're the most popular sports team in America.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth

Just thought it was ridiculous that despite several other indicators of widespread popularity you seem to think the team only has high ratings because people are tuning in to see them fail. And the whole insistence that the team was arrogant to call themselves America's team. This is where the term Americas Team came from, it started back in 1978 and started with a guy from NFL films

Brand New Stars

Yet AGAIN...putting words in my mouth. "Only have high ratings..."

Who cares where it started? They embraced it and use it themselves to this day.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
I'm not putting words in your mouth, the very statement was that it was arrogant of Jerry Jones, the Cowboys and the fans to call themselves Americas Team and that you couldn't understand how something like that could come about, well hince the link explaining how it came about. And its not just the Cowboys and their fans that call them that, the media the league and broadcasts often do to. Its not arrogant its part of their history.

And your original statement about the ratings being so high was that "Yet a large portion tune in to see an epic fail" is what we are disputing by showing the overall popularity of the team, since there is absolutely no data to support your opinion that anyone watches for them to fail.

TangoMcBride

Feb 28, 2008
The DF Dub
All I know is that I can't wait to see Americas Team smash the Packers on Sunday.

Go USA! Go Cowboys!

american-flag-background-with-eagle-4.jpg

;)

Last edited:

Brand New Stars

And your original statement about the ratings being so high was that "Yet a large portion tune in to see an epic fail" is what we are disputing by showing the overall popularity of the team, since there is absolutely no data to support your opinion that anyone watches for them to fail.

One of those people I see. Need data for everything in life for it to have some validity? I watch them for that reason. So boom, data supports it.

Brand New Stars

You said there's no data that shows anyone watches to see them fail. Last time I checked, I'm a person. If one person does something, it's not far fetched to assume other people do.

But I guess that doesn't matter to you because everything I say you take to an extreme.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
"Yet a large portion of people tune in to watch what they think could be an epic failure. That isn't the definition of popular."

This is your exact statement, you have an opinion on why you think cowboys ratings are so high. 12+ million people, watch the cowboys on TV, and your argument is a large portion of them do so to watch them fail simply because you do... And because me and other point out that there polls, attendance, and jersey sales that point to them just being popular, your saying that I'm one of those types that have to have data, and then say that because you, one person watches to see them fail so do, what millions of others do to? To me a large portion would be, what at least a quarter right? So you feel like 4 million people watch the cowboys just to see them fail because you do... and I'm going to extremes. Look you started this complaining how pompous Jerry Jones was and the fans for Calling them Americas Team. Its not pompous, its a nickname used by the league for over 30 years.

Brand New Stars

I just wrote a long response and my phone froze, so I'll do smaller points.

Jones is pompous for embracing the nickname. No such thing as America's team. If you think they are then you better be willing to call the Yankees and Lakers the same. They have tons of fans, but it's safe to assume just as many people hate those teams and wish nothing but failure on them as there are that loves them. I used the Saints example as what I would consider the closest thing to America's team. No one really seemed to be rooting against them unless their own favorite team was opposing them.

I don't think it's far fetched at all to assume 1/4 of NFL fans paid more attention to the Cowboys game than the others because of how volatile they are. It's great television. Doesn't mean everyone that tuned in loves the team.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Being popular and being liked aren't mutually exclusive. If people tune into Dancing With The Stars to watch how badly famous people dance the show is still popular.

Btw BNS, I agree with most of what you're saying.

ginblossoms

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
Just going by cursory recollection, but I don't remember Jerry Jones and company making a big point of it. I believe Tex Schram embraced the term back in the day and marketed the heck out of it. Brilliant business decision by that guy.

If any entity is to "blame" for the perpetual use of the moniker, it's the media. Once they stop using the term, people will use it less frequently. But per usual, they have little creativity and can't think of anything else to say.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Yet AGAIN...putting words in my mouth. "Only have high ratings..."

Who cares where it started? They embraced it and use it themselves to this day.

Wow..I mean...wow... The better question would be how stupid a team would have to be NOT to embrace it. I mean, really? You're either trolling on all this or you can't see past your blind hatred for the team.

I just wrote a long response and my phone froze, so I'll do smaller points.

Jones is pompous for embracing the nickname.

It was already the nickname before he came around. It would be frickin' idiotic for a businessman to turn down something incredible from a marketing standpoint that was put right in your lap.

No such thing as America's team. If you think they are then you better be willing to call the Yankees and Lakers the same. They have tons of fans, but it's safe to assume just as many people hate those teams and wish nothing but failure on them as there are that loves them. I used the Saints example as what I would consider the closest thing to America's team. No one really seemed to be rooting against them unless their own favorite team was opposing them. /quote]

Yes there is. Now, it's obviously not something official, but if that's what your mean, you're right. It is their nickname though. It exists, so yes there is such a thing. Other teams also have nicknames and those nicknames also exist.

As for those other teams you mention, well, that isn't their nickname, so that doesn't make sense. The Saints aren't all that particularly popular. They had everyone rooting for them for a bit due to a horrible natural disaster that ravaged the area. Their nickname isn't America's Team either. The Dallas Cowboys are the ones known as America's Team. It's really simple, isn't it?

I don't think it's far fetched at all to assume 1/4 of NFL fans paid more attention to the Cowboys game than the others because of how volatile they are. It's great television. Doesn't mean everyone that tuned in loves the team.

I have no idea the % of people that tune in for what reasons. It's irrelevant. There's mountains of data going back decades that the Cowboys are the most popular NFL team. Either way they are known as America's Team. That will stop when people stop calling them that. Bottom line.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Being popular and being liked aren't mutually exclusive. If people tune into Dancing With The Stars to watch how badly famous people dance the show is still popular.

Btw BNS, I agree with most of what you're saying.

That's one tiny point that's basically irrelevant, because ratings are only one small piece of evidence, and even I agree with. What other stuff do you agree with that he's saying? It's trollish/haterish and has little to do with logic/reason/critical thinking.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Just going by cursory recollection, but I don't remember Jerry Jones and company making a big point of it. I believe Tex Schram embraced the term back in the day and marketed the heck out of it. Brilliant business decision by that guy.

If any entity is to "blame" for the perpetual use of the moniker, it's the media. Once they stop using the term, people will use it less frequently. But per usual, they have little creativity and can't think of anything else to say.

Good point, I don't really see JJ or the Cowboys talking about it. It's a media/fan/NFL thing. Regardless it would be stupid for an owner or team to say "no, we don't want this awesome, marketable nickname. I can't give a valid reason why, but uh, just stop or something."

Brand New Stars

Trollish? Get the **** out of here. I've been nothing but objective when talking about Cowboy games in this thread. It's only trolling to you because you're offended as a Cowboys fan.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
People want to see the Cowboys failure because it is a spectacle. The Raiders are a joke. The Cowboys find a way to give hope then snatch it back.

I would disagree. Cowboys had actually also become a joke before this season. Though that could have changed due to the recent success.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
That's one tiny point that's basically irrelevant, because ratings are only one small piece of evidence, and even I agree with. What other stuff do you agree with that he's saying? It's trollish/haterish and has little to do with logic/reason/critical thinking.

Now you're being ridiculous.

He's saying that calling the Cowboys "America's team" is dumb and I agree with him. Your ratings and attendance points are more or less pointless because those things don't reveal how beloved the team is around the country. Being watched, followed, or in some trivial way of being cared about does not make the Cowboys the country's team.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Huh?!?! Uh I said the ratings thing is a small point. I was agreeing. It wasn't even "my" point I don't believe. All the data points(ratings/attendance is but one of many) are evidence of them being the most popular team regardless of what their nickname is. It's not like their popularity is some sort of controversial thing.

Do you think the nickname is stupid because it would be stupid under any circumstance for any team or because you don't think it fits this particular team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad