Post-Game Talk: #ItWasThreeOne

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Oh please wise one tell me how they cost us the game?

Not Bernier, that's a given at this point.... but the other 3

Sometimes I believe you don't even watch the games and come in here to troll us, time for a mercy block on you.

Phaneuf played his normal steady game. Drawing a blank where he could be at fault for any of the goals against.

Some do have the special insight though, where they can blindly assign blame. Kind of like how Tommy played Pinball.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Bozak was good tonight, had a better showing than Kadri. Parenteau was the one who lost his man on the winning goal.

Ugly game. We had it under control, and then let them walk all over us.

Quite a few of those goals were absolutely not on Bernier, but the thing is that he's not really giving us any saves at all that is not of the "saves that he should have" category. He's a broken player, a short AHL stint isn't going to change that.

Edit: Just read back and saw 10 posters blame the first goal on Bernier. That's just... I'm speechless. :shakehead

exactly, the team just for some reason stopped skating and TB had some great chances BUT! on the other hand Bernier has to make some saves for crying out loud. I understand you're not going to stop every big chance but Bernier is not doing himself or the team favours giving up goals at awful times (right at the end of the 2nd period) for one. The 4th goal was ugly, team just lost coverage but Bernier just gave up the top of the net went down didn't fight through the screen and had no idea where the puck was...bam in the net, game over.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Edit: Just read back and saw 10 posters blame the first goal on Bernier. That's just... I'm speechless. :shakehead

while he would have had to make a GOOD save, it wasn't as if it would have been a ten bell save.

Kucherov's only option coming down on Bernier was to go to bernier's left and shoot a backhand.

he was leaning to bernier's left, and his weight transfer showed bernier that it was his only option. given his weight on his skates, and also his stride there's no way he could have shifted to bernier's right before the leafs caught up to him.

it was an easy read for bernier, and should not have been a great save, but simply a good save, the puck went through bernier as he reacted too late to Kucherov going to his left.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
that's pretty much the gist of it.

bernier's medium danger save % is 85.53 and high danger save % is 80.00

his "easy save" % is frightfully low at 92.75%

(yes this is really low - Reimer's is 96.24% which is "low")

bernier's had 22 goals scored against him with "moderately dangerous shots to dangerous shots) in 109 shots against.

to consider how poor that is right now and what kind of gulf exists in the toronto's goaltenders, with the same totals;

Reimers allowed 24 goals in 259 shots.

Last night, it's not even that he let in some goals he should have had it was that he looked like he didn't even try to look around the screen and give himself a chance.

He used to just let in stinkers. Now he's not even trying.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
while he would have had to make a GOOD save, it wasn't as if it would have been a ten bell save.

Kucherov's only option coming down on Bernier was to go to bernier's left and shoot a backhand.

he was leaning to bernier's left, and his weight transfer showed bernier that it was his only option. given his weight on his skates, and also his stride there's no way he could have shifted to bernier's right before the leafs caught up to him.

it was an easy read for bernier, and should not have been a great save, but simply a good save, the puck went through bernier as he reacted too late to Kucherov going to his left.

I won't blame Bernier on that but Reimer probably saves that. Maybe Sparks too.

We don't expect Bernier to make any big saves now so that's why it's "unfair" to blame that goal on him but I guarantee if Reimer was the goalie there would be goalie-blame.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

That is a goal on any goalie in the League....it was right under the cross bar.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
He played 8 minutes because he looked a step behind mentally and physically. He didn't deserve more minutes, so he didn't get them.

Sucks he was scratched, he should have been in earlier, but his minutes reflected his play tonight.

I guess so. I was just thinking maybe he would have gotten better as the game went on? Like i wouldn't have given him oodles either, but.. i dunno, i just want the kid to get a fair shake.

It's pretty clear how the Kadri vs Bozak conversations constantly get started and carried on. Bozak had a good game last night, not perfect, but noone has ever had a perfect game.

pretty much. like. honestly. just let it lie already.
and I agree that Bozak looks a lot better with out Kessel. instead of thinking "Let me find him." he's kind of carrying the play a bit more, and looking for more shots where as he'd normally just pass. Like I said. he's slowly, earning back my trust.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

Are you serious?

Kucherov had control and ice from the blue line in. He didn't have to go to Bernier's left, he could have cut back or done just about anything. He also executed a great move and a perfect shot.

This is just getting outright ridiculous.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Not much Bernier could do on the Kucherov breakaway. The overtime goal was a great shot though and was a tough save to make. If Bernier was bigger, maybe he has a better chance.

The only goal that was really unfortunate was the Stralman one, where it deflected off a skate then off the post.

So 2 of the goals were very very stoppable. The fourth goal shouldn't go in on a NHL goaltender, especially one that has allowed so many bad goals over the last couple weeks. I think the OT goal was stoppable but I can still recognize that it was a great shot as well.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Not much Bernier could do on the Kucherov breakaway. The overtime goal was a great shot though and was a tough save to make. If Bernier was bigger, maybe he has a better chance.

The only goal that was really unfortunate was the Stralman one, where it deflected off a skate then off the post.

So 2 of the goals were very very stoppable. The fourth goal shouldn't go in on a NHL goaltender, especially one that has allowed so many bad goals over the last couple weeks. I think the OT goal was stoppable but I can still recognize that it was a great shot as well.

Agree with what you're saying completely, and the bolded to me is the reason Bernier isn't going to be a starter in this league.

He maybe had a chance under Carlyle's system because they allowed a lot of low-percentage shots, which inflated Bernier's stats (and confidence) but he's just a small goalie... that's not something that will change.

Sparks (and even Reimer) would've made that shot by Kucherov look routine, as it would've hit both goalies in the shoulder.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Please return to having different threads for GDT and PGT. I'd like to read the first pages of the PGT when I'm not able to watch a game and don't have much time to search. THX

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Agree with what you're saying completely, and the bolded to me is the reason Bernier isn't going to be a starter in this league.

He maybe had a chance under Carlyle's system because they allowed a lot of low-percentage shots, which inflated Bernier's stats (and confidence) but he's just a small goalie... that's not something that will change.

Sparks (and even Reimer) would've made that shot by Kucherov look routine, as it would've hit both goalies in the shoulder.
Carlyle's system created a lot of screen shots and traffic, which tend to be more difficult for smaller goalies.

This should actually be an easier system for him.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

The bolded is false.

Under Carlyle, Toronto was by far the worst team in the league at reducing the quality of shots against. Even Edmonton didn't match our numbers.

And no, a shot is never routine when it's a well executed breakaway from a high skill player.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Tampa fan coming in peace.

Notice how Stamkos did nothing tonight other then turn overs? Thats what he's been like for the past two seasons. He's not worth the money guys. He's a bum.

IF you guys take Matt Carle from us we'll throw Stamkos in for free!! Any takers?

:leafs
Carle
Stamkos

:bolts
Lupul
Bernier

Still interested? :popcorn:

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Are you serious?

Kucherov had control and ice from the blue line in. He didn't have to go to Bernier's left, he could have cut back or done just about anything. He also executed a great move and a perfect shot.

watch that again in slow motion, no he couldn't have.

damn man, do you think I went through the time and trouble to get right down to weight transfer if I didn't look at it carefully?

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Can we send Bernier on another conditioning stint?

On a real note, I'd be surprised if Bernier finished the season with the Leafs. He may have some hope left of being a starter, but I think his faith has run out with the Leafs. The team just plays differently in front of him. He makes way too many mistakes regardless of how he players after letting in 2 weak ones. A small goalie with no confidence is just something I hate the Leafs having regardless of whether they are contending or not.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
After TB gets eliminated from the playoffs, Leafs might trade some low value piece for Stamkos (a 3rd, or B-prospect). Let's them sign for 8 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad