Post-Game Talk: #ItWasThreeOne

mikebel111*

Bozak and JVR played well tonight.No Kessel needed.

Too bad Bozak cant play a hint of D, and it showed again on OT winner.

We need to play Kadri more in those situations cause whenever Bozak is on the ice, something bad will happen and it did again.

Stamkos needs to support Kadri as it will take some pressure of Kadri.

Bozak is bringing down Kadri, as Bozak simply cant play defence.

Stamkos can and than you have Kadri and Stamkos who can take heat off each other.

I like the sound of that.
with Kadri playing the tough minutes, he needs someone who isnt a heart attack in their own zone, and can play those minutes as well which will take heat off Kadri

mikebel111*

Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Mike Babcock addresses the media following Toronto's 5-4 overtime loss to Tampa Bay on Tuesday night.

Dont think Babcock will be too impressed by Bozak and Dion on that OT winner.

Man we need Stamkos that will help support Kadri in the future when taking on matchups

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
It was the same thing on the play Polak left his man to guard a guy that was already covered. It's one thing to lean toward blocking the pass and another just to completely give the guy an open lane. Shabby defense as usual.
That said, Bernier just looks too small and too slow to make those big saves.

I thought Polak misplayed that too, but Bernier still should have made the save. He wasn't following the puck.

Tough night for Bernier. I hope he has a good therapist--he'll need one.

I thought Frankie looked pretty good. He can skate, that's for sure.

I thought Stamkos looked pretty weak on the puck. He was knocked off it easily and didn't seem to win any battles.

I might start watching some Tampa games to see what the Captain looks like, because he sure didn't show much of anything tonight. He let Matt Hunwick knock him off a puck. That lead to a goal.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I think we definitely win that game if Reimer starts.

I think we probably win that game if Sparks starts.

Hope Riemer comes back soon because we wont win with Bernier. Get well get well soon, we want you to get well. Get well get well soon, we want you to get well.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I agree. I think we should give Kadri those minutes. Bozak and his minuses cost another game for us.

I think we need to get Stamkos to help out Kadri, cause Bozak isnt cutting it with his pathetic efforts on defence

Are you kidding me? We win this game if Kadri can get a single point, Bozak had a great game. Bozak would of been a plus player if Bernier could make a bloody save. Now we need Stamkos to help Kadri? Why doesn't Kadri help himself? Bozak doesn't seem to need anyone to produce.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach

We need to play Kadri more in those situations cause whenever Bozak is on the ice, something bad will happen and it did again.

Stamkos can and than you have Kadri and Stamkos who can take heat off each other.

with Kadri playing the tough minutes, he needs someone who isnt a heart attack in their own zone, and can play those minutes as well which will take heat off Kadri

If you watched the game tonight, you should have noticed that Stamkos also had a poor defensive showing. As a player, Stamkos isn't exactly a two-way guy and, if anything, is better suited on the wing.

Bozak, on the other hand, had a great showing tonight. Though he may be questionable defensively, Bozak has proven himself to be the better scoring option than Kadri has this year, both 5v5 and on the PP. If he's surrounded by defensively conscious wingers, ie not Parenteau and JVR, he too should suppress scoring chances against... or at the very least, not have his defensive miscues take center stage.

And speaking of which... that 3-on-3 goal was a group failure, not just Bozak's. Is it his fault that Parenteau was not only overly aggressive for a 3-on-3 game, but that he also stayed on too long and couldn't skate to catch up to Namestnikov? Or rather is he at fault for Bernier letting in a goal?

And what about the 5-on-5 goal against? Is it his fault the entire team decided to puck watch and leave the left side of the ice open?

Your hatred for Bozak is blinding you from analyzing the play. It's ridiculous that you can say that whenever Bozak's on the ice, something bad's gonna happen... like his 2 points should just be stricken from the record. Is it Bozak's fault that Kadri can't produce on the PP even after being given 1:21 more? Hell, if Bozak was handed Kadri's PP minutes, we might have won the game.

Man we need Stamkos that will help support Kadri in the future when taking on matchups

Dion wasn't on the ice. It was Gardiner, Bozak and Parenteau. Stamkos isn't known for his defensive prowess. Kadri might become a low-scoring, 2C with a defensive game. But the sheer fact that he doesn't play a lick of SH and is wholly ineffective producing on the PP does not help his case long-term.

Last edited:

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009

Is this sarcasm?

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
If you watched the game tonight, you should have noticed that Stamkos also had a poor defensive showing. As a player, Stamkos isn't exactly a two-way guy and, if anything, is better suited on the wing.

Bozak, on the other hand, had a great showing tonight. Though he may be questionable defensively, Bozak has proven himself to be the better scoring option than Kadri has this year, both 5v5 and on the PP. If he's surrounded by defensively conscious wingers, ie not Parenteau and JVR, he too should suppress scoring chances against... or at the very least, not have his defensive miscues take center stage.

And speaking of which... that 3-on-3 goal was a group failure, not just Bozak's. Is it his fault that Parenteau was not only overly aggressive for a 3-on-3 game, but that he also stayed on too long and couldn't skate to catch up to Namestnikov? Or rather is he at fault for Bernier letting in a goal?

And what about the 5-on-5 goal against? Is it his fault the entire team decided to puck watch and leave the left side of the ice open?

Your hatred for Bozak is blinding you from analyzing the play. It's ridiculous that you can say that whenever Bozak's on the ice, something bad's gonna happen... like his 2 points should just be stricken from the record. Is it Bozak's fault that Kadri can't produce on the PP even after being given 1:21 more? Hell, if Bozak was handed Kadri's PP minutes, we might have won the game.

Dion wasn't on the ice. It was Gardiner, Bozak and Parenteau. Stamkos isn't known for his defensive prowess. Kadri might become a low-scoring, 2C with a defensive game. But the sheer fact that he doesn't play a lick of SH and is wholly ineffective producing on the PP does not help his case long-term.

I agree with most of this. True, Bozak isn't great defensively, but, he had two points and they were deserving points and as well, that line created some good scoring chances. I actually don't think we get to O/T without that lines offense and in large part tonight, Bozak was generating offense. His defensive mistakes weren't the main reason for the goals we gave up; Polak and Bernier were both in on that one goal and as far as the 3 on 3 goal was concerned, I don't think a fresh Rielly would of caught that Nemiskov (sorry sp!!!). That is how 3 on 3's go. They are NOT DEFENSIVE clinics from what I've been seeing so far (maybe I"m wrong here). You go for it, and if you miss your chance and lose possession, it's a 2 on 1 or 1 on 1 going back the other way!

Could he be better defensively YES - I 100% whole-heartedly agree, but, his defensive mistakes in this game shouldn't diminish the fact overall he had a good game NOT A GREAT GAME, but a pretty good game. I saw a lot of players (including Rielly in the 1st) with some poor defensive plays (though he was great in the 2nd and 3rd) and players with giveaways in their own zone (Dion), not to mention, Kadri going off side (so selfish) on what could of been a sure 2 on 1 in the 3rd (i think it was the 3rd).

Edit: Also, let's not confuse the real issue by talking about players defensive mistakes when Bernier saves 22 out of 27 shots for an .815 save percentage.

Last edited:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Is that what you took from that presser? Just to be clear on that game winner Bozie was where he was supposed to be, its was the winger that blew his coverage.

You do get that you don't have to demonize a player to justify why you have a hockeycrush on another player?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Is that what you took from that presser? Just to be clear on that game winner Bozie was where he was supposed to be, its was the winger that blew his coverage.

You do get that you don't have to demonize a player to justify why you have a hockeycrush on another player?

right?

And honestly. out of everything, Bozak is doing what he's supposed to be doing - showing that he is capable of putting points up without Kessel, and able to generate offence on his own (which he's doing), and being somewhat responsible in his own end (which is what he's doing).

How Bozak plays has NOTHING to do with how Kadri plays. Holy Moley.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
Bozak has always been a big fat minus player and was one of the reasons that cost us this game.

This is a recording that Bozak was a minus on a game winner

The sooner these 3 are off the team, the better

Aren't you the guy who didn't even know who was on the ice on the winning goal? Or that Bozak was actually where he should have been?

Credibility shot, I'd suggest changing the channel during hockey games to America's Top Model next time. I just bet you know more about that show than the game of hockey

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Bozak was good tonight, had a better showing than Kadri. Parenteau was the one who lost his man on the winning goal.

Ugly game. We had it under control, and then let them walk all over us.

Quite a few of those goals were absolutely not on Bernier, but the thing is that he's not really giving us any saves at all that is not of the "saves that he should have" category. He's a broken player, a short AHL stint isn't going to change that.

Edit: Just read back and saw 10 posters blame the first goal on Bernier. That's just... I'm speechless. :shakehead

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
he only played 8 minutes after sitting out 20+ games. how good was he supposed to be?

He played 8 minutes because he looked a step behind mentally and physically. He didn't deserve more minutes, so he didn't get them.

Sucks he was scratched, he should have been in earlier, but his minutes reflected his play tonight.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Quite a few of those goals were absolutely not on Bernier, but the thing is that he's not really giving us any saves at all that is not of the "saves that he should have" category.

that's pretty much the gist of it.

bernier's medium danger save % is 85.53 and high danger save % is 80.00

his "easy save" % is frightfully low at 92.75%

(yes this is really low - Reimer's is 96.24% which is "low")

bernier's had 22 goals scored against him with "moderately dangerous shots to dangerous shots) in 109 shots against.

to consider how poor that is right now and what kind of gulf exists in the toronto's goaltenders, with the same totals;

Reimers allowed 24 goals in 259 shots.

Crazy Vaclav

Put it in H
Jul 21, 2010
GTA
drinking-vodka.gif

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
right?

And honestly. out of everything, Bozak is doing what he's supposed to be doing - showing that he is capable of putting points up without Kessel, and able to generate offence on his own (which he's doing), and being somewhat responsible in his own end (which is what he's doing).

It's pretty clear how the Kadri vs Bozak conversations constantly get started and carried on. Bozak had a good game last night, not perfect, but noone has ever had a perfect game.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
I think we definitely win that game if Reimer starts.

I think we probably win that game if Sparks starts.

Hope Riemer comes back soon because we wont win with Bernier. Get well get well soon, we want you to get well. Get well get well soon, we want you to get well.

Yes, Sparks should have started. There were lots of members here who couldn't understand that Bernier got this start. What was here so difficult not to start Sparks?

Bruffins

Jul 7, 2014

For future purposes, I'd suggest actually watching the game before commenting.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
I actually didn't mind the way they handled Corrado. The management group wanted him to gain physical strength during the 20-game hiatus and the low playing time could just be a precautionary measure, especially if it's a high-intensity regimen with low cooldown time. Overplaying will lead to injury. Oh, and he looked pretty good for those few minutes but obviously putting a rusty guy on for 15 minutes is a no-no, especially when you need to showcase Polak, the offensive juggernaut.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
right?

IMO, Bozak is playing better without Kessel.
I think if some would just accept him for what he is they'd realize he's a decent overpaid player.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Oh please wise one tell me how they cost us the game?

Not Bernier, that's a given at this point.... but the other 3

Sometimes I believe you don't even watch the games and come in here to troll us, time for a mercy block on you.

Please block me.....and by the way it is against the rule on here to post that!

If you did not see how Bozak and JVR and Dion cost us the game.....then I do not know what to tell you.

When you fail to get the puck out of the D zone when you have time and space and turn the puck over, that is on you! Last minute of second period Bozak fails to get the puck out and turns the puck over, and JVR compounds the issue by gliding over to the far side of the ice when puck support was there, leaving his man and the whole left side of the ice available.

On the 4-3 goal, you tell me what was Dion doing.....sucking exhaust chasing a player up the boards 5 feet behind him into a good scoring position? Poor decision after poor Decision.

On the winning goal: Bozak turns the puck over behind the Tampa Goal line and then straight legs it back to our D zone.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Bozak was good tonight, had a better showing than Kadri. Parenteau was the one who lost his man on the winning goal.

Ugly game. We had it under control, and then let them walk all over us.

Quite a few of those goals were absolutely not on Bernier, but the thing is that he's not really giving us any saves at all that is not of the "saves that he should have" category. He's a broken player, a short AHL stint isn't going to change that.

Edit: Just read back and saw 10 posters blame the first goal on Bernier. That's just... I'm speechless. :shakehead

All Hunwick getting sucked way out of Position by Stammer, created a huge hole at the D Blueline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad