it's time to get mad about goaltending (again!)

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I get it's extremely hard to find an elite goalie. Can't really draft a "sure thing" goalie and even if you do it takes years before they can handle being a #1. Can't really trade for them after they have emerged as elite without giving an arm and a leg, unless you take advantage of terrible GMing like the Canucks had (although Gillis still knew giving a division rival a #1 would be costly to the Canucks). And we've gone so long under Lowe's leadership not really making any effort to keep any promising ones in development.

What is annoying though is how confident MacT was that he solved the goaltending by having 2 guys completely unproven in a #1 situation. Plus he's OK with how Dallas coaches this team which makes the situation even worse for the goalies. He has no clue.

Last edited:

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Goaltending isn't the issue, wide open shots from the slot off the rush and cycle is.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
What about focusing on our 32 games in the NHL goalie coach in Frederic Chabot? What has that idiot done to remain here? Haven't seen one single goalie develop under him.

steam whistle

Nov 27, 2013
Ontario
I smelled

Conor Mcdavid will land in Oil field.:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

cheers for your guys. It could be another John Tavares. good for ur guys.

worth for that. Just wondering if ur guys get Conor, how much u r going to sign him after entry level contract? heavy loaded with TH, JE, RNH, YAKS THO.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
The goalies are the last ones to blame. Have you seen the terrible coverage in front of them? I actually feel sorry for them...

So much this. It really wouldn't matter if Price/Rask or anyone else came to play here. When you get caught 5 players deep with people wide open, chances are it's going to be a goal. Scrivens and Fasth are fine. Dubnyk was an issue last year because he (personally) was causing us to lose games.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
The goaltending is no better than it was last year, and this isn't a team that can afford to have bad goaltending.
What difference does it make as long as we have MacT and Eakins here running the show? No one has played well under Eakins and Petry is the next player that will pay the price of hiring those two clowns.

Blob

Aug 22, 2007
Hi, I'm a Canucks fan. But I'm also a hockey fan so I watch other teams. And let's face it, who can ignore the drama with the Oilers the last few seasons?

I think that the problem is not the players in any one position. Not the goalies, not the defense, not the forwards.

I think that the system, with the current coach anyways, is just way too complicated and nobody can make sense out of it. Maybe it works in practice, maybe the coach is a ****** communicator, but I think he's trying to introduce some sort of "new" hockey system so he can put his stamp on coaching and prove himself. And the rest of the management have to save face so they keep him around.

Just watch what goes on out there. The players aren't that crappy. They're just not.

It's a shame for the fans and the players. There are some great players in Edmonton. Hall is one of my favorite hockey players. He could do some serious damage if they ever find their way into the playoffs, before he's too old.

Anyways, good luck Oilers fans.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
Flames outshot 18-2 tonight in the first period. The score? 0-0.

Guys have to hold the fort until we can get goals going in. Or hold onto leads late in games.

We haven't had good goaltending in one game this year and the Flames have already had three games of good goaltending.

Our guys don't do either because they don't battle hard enough. They've lost faith and you can stop pucks when you're blaming the rest of the team.

mangdas

May 2, 2013
Edmonton
You Oilers fans are so delirious its funny. Trying to place the blame and have a reason for the beginning of another dismal season. Jonathon Quick would get roasted alive on this team. Scrivens was already a .940 on a team that knows how to play DEFENSE. You fools, it doesn't matter what goalie you have, this team doesn't play NHL calibre defense. Look at the Flames right now vs the Hawks, the Oilers could never replicate that!

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
You Oilers fans are so delirious its funny. Trying to place the blame and have a reason for the beginning of another dismal season. Jonathon Quick would get roasted alive on this team. Scrivens was already a .940 on a team that knows how to play DEFENSE. You fools, it doesn't matter what goalie you have, this team doesn't play NHL calibre defense. Look at the Flames right now vs the Hawks, the Oilers could never replicate that!

Replicate what? Getting outshot 28-5 halfway through the game?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Flames outshot 18-2 tonight in the first period. The score? 0-0.

Guys have to hold the fort until we can get goals going in. Or hold onto leads late in games.

We haven't had good goaltending in one game this year and the Flames have already had three games of good goaltending.

Our guys don't do either because they don't battle hard enough. They've lost faith and you can stop pucks when you're blaming the rest of the team.

Fasth was very good against the Canucks.

Hiller on the other hand has had 2 questionable games.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Fasth blew 2 two goal leads.

Hillers on fire tonight and holding his team in it.

His team did. They took several stupid penalties and let the Canucks take complete control of the game. [snip]

Hiller is on fire tonight and it's about time after being thoroughly outplayed by Ramo. But relying solely on your goaltending to win you games is what the Leafs and Avs do.

Last edited by a moderator:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Goaltending isn't the problem, it's the sheyat defence and system. Not to mention the Chabot factor. This team would have made prime Hasek look like Conklin.

Olive Oil

Jul 14, 2014
Rome, Italy
Before camp started I supported a post saying Oil goaltending was just as big a problem as 2C and I almost got ran off the board.
It doesn't matter what decisions Eakins makes, or what trades MacT doesn't make, or what the line combos are, or Nuge is hurt, or Nurse and Draisaitl aren't ready….or whatever the other excuses are…when you get ECHL goaltending, YOU LOSE!!!!
I give Fasth a pass v Vancouver strictly due to the amount of rubber he saw in that game, but he did give up goals in the last minutes of periods 1 and 3. Scrivens has been a bag of you know what since Eakins mentioned he was #1 before camp….Eakins had to digress from that comment later on in camp because Scrivens was embarrassing himself. He continued to do so against the Flames and tonight versus the Coyotes. JUST GOD AWFUL!!!

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Nope. How many goalies have we gone through over the years?

Nope nope nope.

Give me a new goalie coach and get someone in here who can teach the players how to protect the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad