it's time to get mad about goaltending (again!)

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
We need another Roli or Cujo. We need a goalie with 100% battle all the time. That's the only way we get out of this or get remotely to 10th or 11th place. And not for one or two games, for an extended stretch.

Ever since Khabibulin, I'm tired of watching these goalies come in, play well for a week or a month and then give up because Edmonton is "horrible defensively" and it's not their fault. Maybe this is something Chabot perpetuates.

And that is the wrong answer.

When you are the goalie and a goal goes in it is ALWAYS your fault. 100% of the time. That's how the best goalies feel when they play and that's why they are the best. They battle through whatever tough time the team in front of them is having.

Fasth knew the heat was going to come hard early last night and he let in one flat out bad and two questionable goals in the first ten minutes. I'm tired of these guys starting well and then playing like they don't give a crap.

Bad goaltending just deflates this whole team that is trying to find any momentum or confidence. Other teams give up chances, other teams have similar stats but we give up buckets more goals on very questionable shots.

I'm tired of goalies coming here and turning into passive sieves because they feel it's not their fault. Because there is other stuff to blame it on. But it is. It is always their fault. We should have won that Calgary game and our goaltending has been mediocre to terrible in the others.

Unless our goaltenders are great, we have no chance. NO CHANCE.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Get mad about the ******** who acquire them for starters, and then the ****goof who organizes the defensive play in front of them.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
It doesn't matter who it is. Anyone they acquire comes in and quits within a couple of months. They lose their fire, their battle. They need someone more resilient that can keep their compete at max through the team's current problems.

I supported Fasth so much but he blew that game in Vancouver (blowing 2-0 and 4-2 leads) and didn't give us a chance from the beginning last night.

We need a man here. We need someone like Roli fighting for his life every night no matter what.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Ben Scrivens has the attitude the Oilers need in a starting goaltender. He's got intensity, competitiveness and just needs to get on his game. Look at Lundqvist. He's the best goaltender in the world and he's given up 6 goals in each of the past two games. Goalies go through hot and cold stretches. They just need to have the ability to shake off the losses and come back at 100%.

The defense needs to develop proper breakouts to effectively eliminate the turnovers that have consistently resulted in goals against. We can't complete two consecutive passes without somebody bobbling the puck.

Goaltending isn't the issue.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It doesn't matter who it is. Anyone they acquire comes in and quits within a couple of months. They lose their fire, their battle. They need someone more resilient that can work through the team's current problems.

The entire team has quit, why would the goaltenders be any different? The players see the writing on the wall. The team is crap, the coaching is garbage, the organization is a laughingstock and no change will ever come.

There is absolutely no reason for anyone on this team to give a crap.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Try putting an NHL defense in front of them first. I still say these guys are good but you cannot honestly have watched the first three games and said to yourself that the defense is helping our goalies at all. It's embarrassing.

Fix the D and we'll talk. You could have Ken Dryden in there and it wouldn't matter.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Ben Scrivens has the attitude the Oilers need in a starting goaltender. He's got intensity, competitiveness and just needs to get on his game. Look at Lundqvist. He's the best goaltender in the world and he's given up 6 goals in each of the past two games. Goalies go through hot and cold stretches. They just need to have the ability to shake off the losses and come back at 100%.

The defense needs to develop proper breakouts to effectively eliminate the turnovers that have consistently resulted in goals against. We can't complete two consecutive passes without somebody bobbling the puck.

I'm with you. Goaltending is definitely not our weak spot. The team in front of those two men are, and it's fatally obvious.

No support, constant fire drill, 5 star chances, and consistent pressure without push back. Sorry, but if you hammer away at a brick wall with a grade A sledge, you're going to break through. Maybe if we had a few men protecting that wall, but that's too much to ask of this group.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
Scrivens can't let in that 3-2 goal against Calgary and Fasth has to shut the door early last night and late in Vancouver.

It is the goalies fault. Always. With a team this fragile we can't have the goalies killing momentum. It's been the same pattern since Khabibulin was here. Battle for awhile, give up.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
If the Edmonton Oilers were a dude, I'd grab a hold of him by the scruff of the neck and b**ch slap the stupid out of him.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Scrivens can't let in that 3-2 goal against Calgary and Fasth has to shut the door early last night and late in Vancouver.

It is the goalies fault. Always.

While I agree with the Scrivens comment the Oilers completely collapsed under the physical pressure of the Vancouver Canucks.

Let me repeat that, the Oilers completely collapsed under the physical pressure of the Vancouver Canucks.

That should give you an idea of how bad this team is.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton

Agree 100%…our team defense is horrid. Playing Schultz and Nurse was a massive coaching error, both tend to roam out of position. And the forwards don't cover which is again on the coaching. I don't really know what or how Eakins is teaching defence to these guys but it does not work.

Ergot

Pinko
Oct 4, 2014
GVA
It doesn't matter who it is. Anyone they acquire comes in and quits within a couple of months. They lose their fire, their battle.

That would suggest to me that something other than the individual goaltenders is at fault. I'd start with Chabot. No goalie seems to have improved under his guidence.

McDeathbyCheerios*

It is the goalies fault. Always.
And the defense needs to stop giving other teams prime scoring chances in handfuls. A goalie can only do so much. When 90% of a teams shots are scoring chances a goalie can only do so much. Look at Lundqvist.

Fasth wasn't the reason we lost against Vancouver. First goal was a good goal, second goal was a hand pass turned goal that most goalies would of had trouble stopping. Then a bunch of pp goals from what an entire period worth of penalties?

Goalies have bad games too. Fasth had a bad start and then pulled his groin. Quick got pulled in their home opener.

Watch the goalies play and don't look so much at the score. Dubnyk let in awful goal after awful goal the guys we have here often are letting in good ones.

If anything we need to replace our goalie coach cause goalies don't improve here... On top of our awful defensive systems

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
It doesn't matter who it is. Anyone they acquire comes in and quits within a couple of months. They lose their fire, their battle. They need someone more resilient that can keep their compete at max through the team's current problems.

I supported Fasth so much but he blew that game in Vancouver (blowing 2-0 and 4-2 leads) and didn't give us a chance from the beginning last night.

We need a man here. We need someone like Roli fighting for his life every night no matter what.

Awful posts.

What's more likely: goalies come in and lose their "fire" or goalies come in and find themselves exposed by terrible defending and systems?

Good lord.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
I think our goalies are fine this year. Maybe not top flight, but major upgrades on what we went into from last year.

Much bigger holes to fix, A legit top 2 D (impossible to find at a reasonable cost imo) although if we have Petry, Marincin, Fayne and Schultz playing top4
we'll be ok. Ference/Nik is a fine bottom fair.

and a legit two way center which we could have fixed a dozen ways already. I HATE that we're pushing Leon in this fast.

goodgrimes

Apr 15, 2012
Canucks fan in peace. I don't think you can really blame it all on the goaltender like that. In the Canucks-Oilers game, I was surprised how easily the Canucks gained the blue-line on almost every single rush. I felt like Fasth played well, and most of the goals involved a lot of lateral movement.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
The goalies are the last ones to blame. Have you seen the terrible coverage in front of them? I actually feel sorry for them...

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Canucks fan in peace. I don't think you can really blame it all on the goaltender like that. In the Canucks-Oilers game, I was surprised how easily the Canucks gained the blue-line on almost every single rush. I felt like Fasth played well, and most of the goals involved a lot of lateral movement.
Because it was 5 on 4 for the last half of the game.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I'm just glad it's only taken 3 games for the optimists to realize that MacT hasnt fixed the goaltending situation.

Both these goalies have proved less than Dubnyk had at this point last year.
I'm not quite sure why management refuse to get a proven #1, but I don't like it.
There's been a huge amount of goalies available over the past year, there was more than enough opportunity.

Also, why does Chabot still have a job? What makes him more qualifies than, say... a homeless man?

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I'm just glad it's only taken 3 games for the optimists to realize that MacT hasnt fixed the goaltending situation.

Both these goalies have proved less than Dubnyk had at this point last year.
I'm not quite sure why management refuse to get a proven #1, but I don't like it.
There's been a huge amount of goalies available over the past year, there was more than enough opportunity.
We should have made a play for Halak but Hiller is proving everyone right by his less than stellar play. And Miller wanted to get paid and quite frankly he just isn't an elite golatender. So getting Fasth and Scrivens for cheap wasn't a bad option but the Oilers should be open to acquiring a number 1 should that player become available.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
We should have made a play for Halak but Hiller is proving everyone right by his less than stellar play. And Miller wanted to get paid and quite frankly he just isn't an elite golatender. So getting Fasth and Scrivens for cheap wasn't a bad option but the Oilers should be open to acquiring a number 1 should that player become available.

Cam Ward. :sarcasm:

There isn't a goalie out there available for awhile. We're stuck with Scrivens and Fasth, unless you want to take a flyer on Brodeur...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad