it's time to get mad about goaltending (again!)

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
We should have made a play for Halak but Hiller is proving everyone right by his less than stellar play. And Miller wanted to get paid and quite frankly he just isn't an elite golatender. So getting Fasth and Scrivens for cheap wasn't a bad option but the Oilers should be open to acquiring a number 1 should that player become available.

hahaha.

Hiller just saved 49 of 50 shots against the best offensive team in the West.
How did our 2 backups do this week?

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I remember an Oil Change conversation between Chabot and some young forwards where he was telling them how most shots go in along the ice.

At which point everybody started trying to deke five-hole for around a month.

ace4

Mar 11, 2014
At the time we laughed at the Nucks asking for #7, Marincin, 2nd to get Schneider.

I wonder what the fanbase thinks of it now.

To be fair, I don't think the Oilers were ever getting Schneider. Teams in the division don't trade unless the value of an asset has depreciated.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Scrivens has been awful so far to start the season. Certainly doesn't look to be even close to a solution for this team.

But the defensive system play needs to be fixed before you can spend time on the goaltending again. MacT spent the entire last season trying to fix the goaltending. But we're seeing the same mistakes we saw from game 1 last season. Guys left all alone in our zone time after time.

That needs to be addressed.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
To be fair, I don't think the Oilers were ever getting Schneider. Teams in the division don't trade unless the value of an asset has depreciated.

It's been confirmed by trusted media sources that this was the asking price from Vancouver. Edmonton had just offered the pick straight up.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
Cam Ward. :sarcasm:

There isn't a goalie out there available for awhile. We're stuck with Scrivens and Fasth, unless you want to take a flyer on Brodeur...

Honestly wouldn't be opposed to giving this a shot if the losing continues. Would be nice to have a goaltender who knows what it takes to win. Just having someone who has the experience of taking it upon his shoulders to win a hockey game. Could probably teach the other goalies a lot and perhaps help the attitude of this team. Then again, he's 42....

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Given the oilers caliber of defence, u have to go big or go home wrt goaltending. You have to go get a star caliber goalie and not go cheap and hope for the best. LA knew scrivens isnt a star or potential threat, thats why they didnt care that much to keep him while they kept someone like bernier for as long as possible. MacT was right to go for schnieder, he should have continued that and "overpaid" for bernier or similar caliber talent. The unfortunate thing for the oilers was that most elite goaltending prospects/talents are in the west, making them harder to get.

Board Gordon

Light Up The World
Jun 13, 2014
One of my favourite titles I've seen so far.
Seems like we have the Noobnyk+Lolbarbera situation again. :sarcasm::help:

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I can't believe people compare us to the Flames. Did you watch the season opener, or how about last night? Do you see how competent teams play defence? They get in shooting lanes, they block shots, they don't allow wide open shots from in between the circles. NHL shooters are unreal, they can pick the slightest holes, if you give them time and space in the slot they will score and they will score often. Scrivens has been a bit shakey, especially with his puck handling, but when you got guys like Schultz trying to block a cross ice pass to no one while Jeff Carter walks down main street things aren't going to go well no matter who's in net. When 3 guys try to cover one guy behind the net, things won't go well. Doesn't matter who's in net if you can't cover the most basic plays off. Justin Schultz on the first pairing is probably the dumbest thing in the NHL, he's fine off the rush and in the ozone but he gets so lost on the cycle. His skating can't save him alone, he needs to cover guys man to man. Don't even get me started on Nikitin.

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010
Hey I know our defence is terrible but watch this goal at the 00:45 mark of this video. The goal Scrivens lets in is a complete joke.

This game was very much in the air until he lets that in??

I mean WHAT WAS THAT!!??:help:

decma

Feb 6, 2013
Is it the goalies, or is the team/system?

Here is a comparison of SV% for the last 2+ seasons (2012/13, 2013/14, and 2014/15 to date):

Scrivens
non Eakins sv % of .922 (2012/13 with Tor and 2013/14 with LA)
Eakins save % of .906 (2013/14 and 2014/15 with Edm)

Fasth
non Eakins sv % of .915 (2012/13 and 2013/14 with Ana)
Eakins save % of .905 (2013/14 and 2014/15 with Edm)

Dubnyk
non Eakins sv % of .917 (2012/13 with Edm, 2013/14 with Nsh, and 2014/15 with Ari)
Eakins save % of .894 (2013/14 with Edm)

Larbarbera
non Eakins sv % of .923 (2012/13 with Pho)
Eakins save % of .870 (2013/14 with Edm)

Bryzgalov
non Eakins sv % of .902 (2012/13 with Phi and 2013/14 with Min)
Eakins save % of .908 (2013/14 with Edm)

So for Scrivens, Fasth, Dubnyk, and Larbarbera, save percentage worse under Eakins than in a different system. Bryzgalov the only exception.

For all five combined:

.914 outside Eakins, .901 with Eakins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad