Blue Jays Discussion: It's the off-season. Stuff might happen. Or it might not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
On June 3, 1989 SkyDome opened and kept the name for 5,726 days. As of today, it has been named Rogers Centre for 5,727 days.

Reactions: Tall Morty

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I have been thinking, what if they keep playing the playoffs in neutral sites even post-pandemic? They would be playing them in warm weather cities, with near 0 chance of weather delays and chilly weather affecting play. The team that is designated the home team, gets all the money from concessions and ticket sales for each game. I think there would be plenty of fans that will travel to see their team play, and in nice weather.

Maybe it's unnecessary, it's just something I thought about.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I have been thinking, what if they keep playing the playoffs in neutral sites even post-pandemic? They would be playing them in warm weather cities, with near 0 chance of weather delays and chilly weather affecting play. The team that is designated the home team, gets all the money from concessions and ticket sales for each game. I think there would be plenty of fans that will travel to see their team play, and in nice weather.

My biggest take would be employment opportunities. That’s a vendor’s livelihood, especially in the states where they incorporate tipped wages (I’m not sure how they would distribute that in your scenario). Not to mention it’s just not as cool to have neutral parks. You want to hear the chorus of boos and cheers for each team and I don’t think the intensity or atmosphere would match quite like a hometown stadium.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
My biggest take would be employment opportunities. That’s a vendor’s livelihood, especially in the states where they incorporate tipped wages (I’m not sure how they would distribute that in your scenario). Not to mention it’s just not as cool to have neutral parks. You want to hear the chorus of boos and cheers for each team and I don’t think the intensity or atmosphere would match quite like a hometown stadium.

You’re right. It’s just an idea I thought maybe MLB might ponder about. Maybe.

Auston 316

Jun 25, 2016

No.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

Understand the premise, but having the home crowd rooting for you during the playoffs is one of the best things and atmospheres of the playoffs. The Bautista bat flip home run against Texas would have never been anything close to what it was if it was done so elsewhere. To never see a playoff game in Toronto again would suck.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Understand the premise, but having the home crowd rooting for you during the playoffs is one of the best things and atmospheres of the playoffs. The Bautista bat flip home run against Texas would have never been anything close to what it was if it was done so elsewhere. To never see a playoff game in Toronto again would suck.

Yea, good point. I am just a fan ruminating, that's all. I am fine with how things are.

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
Maybe if it were a 1 game, winner take all type of thing, like the Super Bowl. A seven game series might be playing to a half empty stadium by the time it's over, especially if the two teams involved mean zip to the local populace. Like, who in Texas is gonna care if the Detroit and Milwaukee are playing? And whos got the coin, if you're from outta town, to spend 2 weeks in a hotel, not to mention game tix and other sundry items? Not me...

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
k9WHDSHdx8pY96Iqc0Q0L0sexr0Z36M_kfvHWIBRMzKiw6X3KBMPWz9lIkXuYzJNIt2XcOXhB6JOR79XBUMvwIcq1gsPh8jWZm5NE1zX0PuQoKF-A938tXE

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Here's a question for the hardcore baseball people.

Recently watched a few games with my old man.

He was shocked at how many great plays Gurriel made defensively and how often he dove.

Does Gurriel make all those dives on our turf? And if so, how long is it before he gets injured diving into concrete?

Do players play less reckless defensively on turf because their affraid of injury?

It's kind of worrisome going forward that our core is basically made up of elite infielders and they will have to play 80 games a season on our demanding surface.

xxOCZMSxx

Jan 20, 2015
Here's a question for the hardcore baseball people.

Recently watched a few games with my old man.

He was shocked at how many great plays Gurriel made defensively and how often he dove.

Does Gurriel make all those dives on our turf? And if so, how long is it before he gets injured diving into concrete?

Do players play less reckless defensively on turf because their affraid of injury?

It's kind of worrisome going forward that our core is basically made up of elite infielders and they will have to play 80 games a season on our demanding surface.
You shoulda seen the “grass” at exhibition stadium...
This team has had turf since the inception. Players have dived for balls every year and so far there have not been any fatalities. It is what it is. This is not a new thing.

Reactions: weems

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto

1. The home field atmosphere is electric and I wouldn't trade that for sunny weather

2. AM I alone in enjoying the variability that weather brings to playoffs games like that. Some of my favorite NFL playoff games ar ethe ones where it is snowing with howling winds. The extra difficulty on both sides makes it even more interesting

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
https://www.forbes.com/sites/tonybl...-the-2020-al-contact-manager-of-the-year/amp/
#1 – LHP Hyun Jin Ryu (Blue Jays) – Ryu was not only the Al Contact Manager of the Year, he paced all qualifying MLB starters in that regard with a 70 Adjusted Contact Score. Health was always the main concern regarding Ryu, but after not pitching enough innings to qualify for the ERA title from 2014-18, he’s now done so in consecutive seasons, one in each league. Ryu posted a sterling 83 Adjusted Contact Score in 2019, 4th in the NL. He became much more of a grounder inducer that season, and maintained that trait in 2020. Even more impressive is his ability to muffle authority across all batted ball types. Interestingly, this is most apparent in the line drive category – in 2018, his average liner exit speed allowed was over two standard deviations lower than average, and his 90.4 MPH 2020 mark was the lowest among AL qualifiers.

Reactions: BigBlu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad