Blue Jays Discussion: It's the off-season. Stuff might happen. Or it might not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Wait, Musgrove for Mcguire trade talks happened?

There was no rumor on the return. But the Pirates and Cherington had interest in McGuire and Jansen in the off-season. I assume the Pirates had interest in McGuire, Thornton, Tellez and other prospects.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
Pretty sure it would have been Kirk going to Pittsburgh for Musgrove, hence why he was added to the roster around the trade deadline. Reese McGuire and/or Rowdy Tellez (who despite better hitting isn't likely to intrigue any analytics-based team as a major trade piece) aren't the types of players that a team like Pittsburgh would target for one of their better trade pieces with control.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Ah, it not being a one for one makes more sense then.

Yeah. I remember hearing that Cherington had big interest in McGuire, Tellez, Thornton and Zeuch. Im sure there were and are other names. Martinez and Kirk were other names but we arent dealing them.

California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) | TribLIVE.com
The Toronto Blue Jays have their eye on trading for Musgrove, who they drafted out of high school, and can offer one of two 24-year-old catchers in Danny Jansen and Reese McGuire. However, the Pirates would want more than one of the catchers in a deal for Musgrove.

I would think 5 years of McGuire plus maybe Zeuch or Thornton should be enough for 2 years of Musgrove who has been injury prone.

Last edited:

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Blue Jays look to Kirk to provide offensive boost for injury depleted roster - Sportsnet.ca

Back at the original spring training, Atkins praised the 21-year-old for taking major-league quality at-bats while he’s focused on shoring up his defensive work at the club’s alternate training site in Rochester.

The Blue Jays added him to their taxi squad after the trade deadline – the Pittsburgh Pirates wanted him as the centrepiece of a trade built around Joe Musgrove – setting him up for the promotion.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

There was no rumor on the return. But the Pirates and Cherington had interest in McGuire and Jansen in the off-season. I assume the Pirates had interest in McGuire, Thornton, Tellez and other prospects.

There was a rumour not long after that that the ask was Kirk+. Can't remember the source but it was someone with credibility.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
There was a rumour not long after that that the ask was Kirk+. Can't remember the source but it was someone with credibility.
Yea I’m sure that’s why it didn’t happen. I would do Reese with a not huge plus.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Only makes sense Tellez was in offers. Otherwise the Vogelbach move made zero sense. Glad they didn’t move him but you do have to give to get. Fact is Blue Jays NEED good to great starting pitching. Sign a true ace, move Ryu to your number 2 guy, keep Pearson as the 4 guy, re-sign Ray and Shoemaker to be the 5 and 6 guys for injuries. Then the team NEEDS a legitimate 3B. Biggio isn’t good there, Bichette doesn’t have the arm strength and Groshans and Martin aren’t ready yet. I like the pen as is, thinking Romano can be the closer, Merryweather the set up guy. Borucki, Cole, Hatch, Dolis are all solid. Yamaguchi will still be here and I thought Zeuch was solid. Will still have guys like Thornton and Kay as well. Who could they target for 3B? Sounds like they might also want a defensive upgrade in centre field too. But to me 3B is more pressing. I don’t want to see Shaw or Panik as a starter. Biggio should be every day 2B and Bichette at SS. Tellez and Guerrero as 1B and DH with Kirk and Jansen at catcher.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Atkins reflects on unusual 2020 season for Blue Jays team that surprisingly made playoffs | CP24.com

With so much uncertainty ahead, Ross Atkins plans to focus on things he can control.

“The best way for us to recover and to be ready for when fans are coming back into the stadium and really maximize that is to continue to build a winning team,” he said. “So investing in players, investing in infrastructure is the best way in our view to do that, so that's how we're approaching it.”

Speaking on an end-of-season media conference call Friday afternoon, Atkins did not reveal details on the team's budget but stressed his focus will be on complementing the team's young nucleus of players.

“We're thinking about how we can continue to build on this team and to build on this core,” he said. “The quickest way to recovery is winning. The quickest way to getting our business back to a very good financial spot is winning."

“Our ownership knows that, (president) Mark (Shapiro) has had multiple interactions and they're ongoing and continuing. We're aligned on that front.”

The Blue Jays finished the truncated season with a 32-28 record, a significant improvement from a 67-95 mark a year earlier.

Toronto earned the eighth seed in the expanded post-season structure but was swept by the top-seeded Tampa Bay Rays in two games earlier this week.

That experience of a September stretch drive and brief playoff appearance will no doubt serve as a positive building block for the Blue Jays' future.

“I feel like we're in a very good position and I'm very excited about the progress that (was) made this year,” Atkins said.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

I like this list. Especially Borucki in the pen. I think he could have a Cecil type career in the pen.

I prefer Merryweather in the pen. Injury history is too much for him to be a durable contributor as a starter year after year. Let him be a lights out backend guy for us.

Reactions: FifthLine

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
upload_2020-10-2_22-45-19.jpeg

This is why the bracket system is stupid. Rays and Dodgers were the 1 seed, they deserve the Astros and Marlins, respectively. Now the Braves and A’s have an easier matchup to get to the LCS than the 1 seed.

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
Eh, it doesn’t matter. Playoff Marlins are unbeatable anyways.

(Seriously though not reseeding is just so dumb...)

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

I like this list. Especially Borucki in the pen. I think he could have a Cecil type career in the pen.

I prefer Merryweather in the pen. Injury history is too much for him to be a durable contributor as a starter year after year. Let him be a lights out backend guy for us.

They could envision Merryweather in an opener type role like he did a couple of times this year. Throw gas for 3-4 innings then let the next guy come in. I think that would be healthier for his arm any way than an inconsistent relief role.

Reactions: aingefan

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008

Wonder where Stripling sits considering his off year.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Wonder where Stripling sits considering his off year.

I have to figure he's a starter until/unless he proves he can't hack it. His stuff doesn't play up in the pen in the way you'd like to see for a middle relief or high-leverage guy and it'd be a waste just to make him the long man (which mostly means garbage time work). His splits somewhat favor him being a reliever, but his two most successful seasons came in the two years where he started the most games.

Unrelated, but damn I just saw that Bob Gibson passed away today.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS

I would have liked for Murphy to get a shot as a starter in the big leagues, but given the current makeup of the roster, I understand wanting him in the pen. Overall though I am happy with anything that gets Patrick Murphy on the MLB roster, I really like his hard sinker/curveball mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad