Blue Jays Discussion: It's the off-season. Stuff might happen. Or it might not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Thanks. But you don't trade your 4th/5th ranked pitching prospect, drafted in the 2nd round, for somebody you're probably sticking in the pen. That's not value. It also drives down whatever league-value Stripling might have. We couldn't reverse that trade now with the disregard we've shown our own new player. After all, he's "not quite good enough to start for us".

And if you're looking for more pitching, that could have been Kendall in 2 years with many more years of control.

Don't get me wrong, if you identify Stripling as a cog you believe in and want to add, then maybe you make that trade. And then you hand him a spot and let him prove it.

But the way it's panning out, it seems Ross/Mark just had some spare change burning a hole in their pocket.
Well, Atkins basically said they didn't have Williams in their top 15 prospects, so they obviously see him a lot further away than 2 years, even more when you consider prospects aren't even playing.

And even if we added a Bauer, that's like Bauer and Ryu and then everyone else. After that Stripling has as good a shot as anyone. I love Pearson, but he hasn't exactly pitched many innings, Ray is wild and Roark eats some innings but isn't very good.

It's likely a combination of the fact they still see him as a starter and they value Williams less than you do.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Thanks. But you don't trade your 4th/5th ranked pitching prospect, drafted in the 2nd round, for somebody you're probably sticking in the pen. That's not value. It also drives down whatever league-value Stripling might have. We couldn't reverse that trade now with the disregard we've shown our own new player. After all, he's "not quite good enough to start for us".

And if you're looking for more pitching, that could have been Kendall in 2 years with many more years of control.

Don't get me wrong, if you identify Stripling as a cog you believe in and want to add, then maybe you make that trade. And then you hand him a spot and let him prove it.

But the way it's panning out, it seems Ross/Mark just had some spare change burning a hole in their pocket.

I like Williams and was disappointed to see him traded, but Stripling is a valuable pitcher whether he's a regular starter or a swing man (like he was in LA).

And if you think the timeline for a guy who just turned 20 and has 16 professional innings under his belt in the GCL is two years, then you're probably higher on Williams than just about anyone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: xxOCZMSxx

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Not a big fan of Stripling. I think he was a good pump and dump for the Dodgers and has a down arrow for me.

Having said that, Williams wasn't that great a loss and the Jays likely didnt evaluate him as high after getting him in the system. Depending on who else we traded it wasn't a bad trade, and Stripling can maybe ride his backspin fastball + downer breaker for a few years in a new league that hasn't seen him much yet as a 4/5 or swingman.

Reactions: supermann_98

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Well, Atkins basically said they didn't have Williams in their top 15 prospects, so they obviously see him a lot further away than 2 years, even more when you consider prospects aren't even playing.

And even if we added a Bauer, that's like Bauer and Ryu and then everyone else. After that Stripling has as good a shot as anyone. I love Pearson, but he hasn't exactly pitched many innings, Ray is wild and Roark eats some innings but isn't very good.

It's likely a combination of the fact they still see him as a starter and they value Williams less than you do.

As an addition, right now Williams is MLB Pipeline's #23 Dodgers prospect and carries a 45 FV and 2023 ETA. Fangraphs had him at (I think) 13th in the Jays system pre-trade and graded him a 40 FV with a 2024 ETA.

Basically they're saying that the current projected top end for Williams is that he becomes a Stripling type. 4/5/swing pitcher. Given that's also not exactly a high value FA role, Stripling's cost as a free agent should likely not be terribly significant so while there is control/cost savings, it's not like it's the difference between paying a guy peanuts and $15m a season. Stripling is making $2.1m this season and isn't FA eligible until 2023 too.

i'd take the financial hit to have the similar piece now instead of 3-4 years from now. And it's not like the Jays aren't flush with pitchers in the minor leagues who should mitigate whatever hole is left by Williams' departure.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Reactions: jetsforever

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Mitchell: If Jays don’t make an impact signing it’s probably a disappointment

At the 5:30 Mark Mitchell says the Jays were after Kluber last offseason but rejected the Indians offer of Kluber for Kirk.

I wonder if the Jays go after him for free now.

Also that’s 2 trade Kirk was rumored to be in. Kluber in the offseason and Musgrove at the deadline. I’m wondering if that is still their motivation or if Kirk has proven enough to stay around.

At the 5:50 mark he mentioned 2 of Groshans, Gurriel and Kirk might be a good deal for Lindor and Carrasco. He used the Dodgers deal for Betts and Price as the framework.

Last edited:
Reactions: jetsforever

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I'd assume they're not targeting Simmons for an everyday role, so what term and money will be a fair deal for someone like him?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'd assume they're not targeting Simmons for an everyday role, so what term and money will be a fair deal for someone like him?

MLBTR predicts him to get a 1 year, 12M deal. (They have him going to the Yankees)

Garlando

May 5, 2014
Kingston, Ontario
A flier on Drew Smyly might be worth a look after he quietly made some big gains last year in SF. While it is a small sample of just 26.1 innings last year, he posted the following:

- 3.42 ERA that hid a dominate 2.01 FIP and 2.86 SIERA

He did so by gaining 2.6 MPH and just under 200 RPMs on his FB (most of any SP), while also changing his pitch mix to feature his curveball 36% of the time.

His curveball was straight nasty eliciting a 40.8% chase rate, a 43.7% zone rate, and a ridiculous 22.4% Swinging-strike rate. The result is that his K% jumped from 23.3% to 37.8% which for reference would have ranked 3rd best in the majors if he had enough innings to qualify.

I have little to no expectation of that level of performance going forward for Smyly and he has had injury issues in his career, but his changes are notable and he’s likely a guy that can be had at an affordable rate and term.

Reactions: Morgs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad