Not open for further replies.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Good for Tre! Wishing him the best.

Kinda shocked he got so much tho tbh.

CB is one of the big money positions. I think that makes him like the 23rd highest paid CB.

Achilles aren't a long term disability....he's two years out of his ACL injury and was rounding into form when the achilles went. I don't think he'll ever be an all pro again, but I think he'll be a very good CB. I was actually excited about Douglas/White/Benford/Johnson as our CB room. Shame we couldn't make it work.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Knew Tre's time was done here with the injuries he's had, but it still stings a bit seeing him sign somewhere else. Absolutely love what he brought to the team. Wishing him a healthy bounceback season (unless the Bills are playing him, then he can be healthy and terrible for a night).

Reactions: Chaos2k7

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Good luck Tre!
1711518728284.png

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
You don't think there's a chance that it could be smoke? Or at the very least - McDermott is simply talking up two recent FA signings at his favourite position group?

M Edwards signed a 1 year / 2.8 m contract. It doesn't scream to me that he's a locked in starter.

D Edwards could have been a contributing factor in letting Morse go. I personally think that letting him go made 100% sense on the spreadsheets but no sense on the field. You don't make that move AND trade Bates without a thought to bringing a draft pick in with at least starter potential IMO. Especially when you just enjoyed a season of above average OL play for the first time in forever.
McD doesn't usually do that.

The Bills have opted for less than premium vets to address safety needs. It would be a change in approach to make a significant draft investment at the position. It could happen, it just would be a first.

And as far as the OL shuffling goes, Edwards having prior experience starting at guard for Kromer likely played into this. When McD was asked about McGovern moving to center, he talked about that and then quickly talked up Edwards starting at guard. I think that was a big part of the calculus with their moves along the OL. On top of the cap savings from the moves they made.

I definitely would not be surprised if they made an early investment in a G/C versatile IOL (Jackson Powers-Johnson or Graham Barton for instance and not Zach Frazier who is more of a C only prospect) because Beane has talked about if he will splurge, it will be in the trenches. And they have to plan for the likelihood that they are not as healthy along the OL as last season.

When talking about positions I would and would not be surprised if they took on Day 1 or Day 2, it's like this for me today:

QB - No way.
RB - Unlikely unless they fall in love with a bigger RB and move up into the 3rd for him.
WR - Not surprised at all.
TE - No way.
OT - I would raise one eyebrow.
IOL - It would make sense. Frazier (or another C only prospect) would be mildly surprising though.

DE - Not surprised at all.
DT - Not surprised with a 3T and mildly surprised at 1T, especially Sweat since he does not seem to fit what they like.
LB - Not completely surprised given that they have taken 3rd round LBs the last two years. But, it would confuse me.
CB - Mildly surprised with who they already have in the CB room. I would expect a day 3 CB, though.
S - Mildly surprised based on how they have addressed in the past. But, it would make sense.

K/P/LS - Come on now.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
CB is one of the big money positions. I think that makes him like the 23rd highest paid CB.

Achilles aren't a long term disability....he's two years out of his ACL injury and was rounding into form when the achilles went. I don't think he'll ever be an all pro again, but I think he'll be a very good CB. I was actually excited about Douglas/White/Benford/Johnson as our CB room. Shame we couldn't make it work.
Hm....maybe he can prove he's at least a solid #2, and signs back in Buffalo if we get priced out of keeping Douglas. A man can dream! *even though I'm praying we can re-sign Douglas.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Onsides kick will be pre-reported to opposing team and refs and they line up like they would have in 2023 for an onside kick. Similar reporting wise to saying you are going for 2 after a Tiddy. So it's 'old school onside kicks'

This then eliminates any and all "surprise" onside kicks from the game entirely.
Thanks for confirming.

Re: the bolded. Hiss-boo!! That's unfortunate. Surprise is one of the most fun elements of football. The double-reverse, flea-flicker, "Philly special", fake punt, reverse on a kickoff return, tackle-eligible TD reception on short and goal, etc. I bet playground kids today still know what a Statue of Liberty play is. No Fun League indeed.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
McD doesn't usually do that.

The Bills have opted for less than premium vets to address safety needs. It would be a change in approach to make a significant draft investment at the position. It could happen, it just would be a first.

And as far as the OL shuffling goes, Edwards having prior experience starting at guard for Kromer likely played into this. When McD was asked about McGovern moving to center, he talked about that and then quickly talked up Edwards starting at guard. I think that was a big part of the calculus with their moves along the OL. On top of the cap savings from the moves they made.

I definitely would not be surprised if they made an early investment in a G/C versatile IOL (Jackson Powers-Johnson or Graham Barton for instance and not Zach Frazier who is more of a C only prospect) because Beane has talked about if he will splurge, it will be in the trenches. And they have to plan for the likelihood that they are not as healthy along the OL as last season.

When talking about positions I would and would not be surprised if they took on Day 1 or Day 2, it's like this for me today:

QB - No way.
RB - Unlikely unless they fall in love with a bigger RB and move up into the 3rd for him.
WR - Not surprised at all.
TE - No way.
OT - I would raise one eyebrow.
IOL - It would make sense. Frazier (or another C only prospect) would be mildly surprising though.

DE - Not surprised at all.
DT - Not surprised with a 3T and mildly surprised at 1T, especially Sweat since he does not seem to fit what they like.
LB - Not completely surprised given that they have taken 3rd round LBs the last two years. But, it would confuse me.
CB - Mildly surprised with who they already have in the CB room. I would expect a day 3 CB, though.
S - Mildly surprised based on how they have addressed in the past. But, it would make sense.

K/P/LS - Come on now.
Of course it would be a change in approach. To this point they've had Hyde/Poyer around for the entirety of their tenure. They haven't needed to give the position a second thought until now.

If Edwards had been signed to a type of deal comparable to those that Hyde/Poyer originally signed, I'd say that you were right. But he's been signed for one year at a very low / backup level salary.

I completely agree with the rest of your breakdown.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Of course it would be a change in approach. To this point they've had Hyde/Poyer around for the entirety of their tenure. They haven't needed to give the position a second thought until now.

If Edwards had been signed to a type of deal comparable to those that Hyde/Poyer originally signed, I'd say that you were right. But he's been signed for one year at a very low / backup level salary.

I completely agree with the rest of your breakdown.
Poyer's first contract with the Bills was for 4 years. But, it was only $13M total or $3.25M per season. That was not a huge investment.

Hyde's first deal was 5 years $30.5M because he had a stronger resume as a starter in the NFL than Poyer had to that point.

But, neither guy was a high level starting safety prior to signing in Buffalo. And neither guy got top of the market UFA S money to sign here. And they were both day 3 picks coming off of their rookie deals.

The last time they remade the safety position, they did not attack it with a premium draft pick. They went after two projectable vets coming off of their rookie deals that were not hot FA names.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

28. Buffalo Bills

Adonai Mitchell, WR, Texas

Let's maintain this high-flying Buffalo offense around quarterback Josh Allen with Mitchell, who would start out as a WR2 but could eventually become the WR1. (Stefon Diggs is 30 years old.) Mitchell is a 6-foot-3 vertical threat with 4.33 speed. He had 11 touchdowns and just one drop last season, and he could be the deep threat the team lost in Gabe Davis -- but with more consistent hands.

60. Buffalo Bills

T.J. Tampa, CB, Iowa State

The talent at cornerback in Buffalo isn't as bad as some seem to think, but it's also not quite a strength. The team's best corner -- Rasul Douglas -- turns 30 this season and is a free agent next year, while former first-rounder Kaiir Elam has yet to emerge as a starter. Tampa is tough at the line of scrimmage and excels in press situations. The 6-foot-1, 189-pounder had three interceptions the past two years.

133. Buffalo Bills*: Jalyx Hunt, DE, Houston Christian
133. Buffalo Bills*: Jalyx Hunt, DE, Houston Christian
144. Buffalo Bills (via CHI): Caelen Carson, CB, Wake Forest
160. Buffalo Bills (via GB): Matthew Jones, G, Ohio State
189. Buffalo Bills (via DEN/LAR): Fabien Lovett, DT, Florida State
200. Buffalo Bills (via DAL/HOU): Cody Schrader, RB, Missouri

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Poyer's first contract with the Bills was for 4 years. But, it was only $13M total or $3.25M per season. That was not a huge investment.

Hyde's first deal was 5 years $30.5M because he had a stronger resume as a starter in the NFL than Poyer had to that point.

But, neither guy was a high level starting safety prior to signing in Buffalo. And neither guy got top of the market UFA S money to sign here. And they were both day 3 picks coming off of their rookie deals.

The last time they remade the safety position, they did not attack it with a premium draft pick. They went after two projectable vets coming off of their rookie deals that were not hot FA names.
I know all of this. It would be foolish to expect that you're going to get as lucky second time around.

Poyer's 4 x 3.75m contract when the cap was much lower is a completely different contract to what Edwards just got.

If you say otherwise then i think you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I know all of this. It would be foolish to expect that you're going to get as lucky second time around.

Poyer's 4 x 3.75m contract when the cap was much lower is a completely different contract to what Edwards just got.

If you say otherwise then i think you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.
Their salary cap situation is much different than it was when they signed Poyer and Hyde, as well. As is the changing financial landscape for safeties as teams are playing more 2 high shells and can get away with investing less at the safety position and getting good enough play at that spot.

Things can always change on draft night when a guy falls that they do not expect and it is a "run to the podium" moment like with Torrence last year. Beane talked about how they didn't plan on going OG early. But, when Torrence fell to them, he was too good a value to pass up in that spot.

That is how I feel about the safety position. I think they do not see it as a spot where they need to invest an early pick at the position. Beane has talked about the trenches as where he will overinvest, for example.

But, if there is a guy they really like and he stands out on the board, then I could see it happening. But, I doubt it plays out that way. We shall see.

2 CBs in their first 6 picks is something...

Reactions: Zman5778

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
A thought on the new kickoff rules, because McD will undoubtedly try to get a field position edge with it at least a few times: Between the coverage/blocking units being unable to move until the ball hits the ground or is caught, and the fact that the return team starts at the 20 if they down a ball that hits in the landing zone and rolls into the end zone, I wonder if we see more line drive kicks where you try to have them land between the 10 and the 5 and skid into (but not through/out of) the EZ from there. Seems like that could potentially force returners to make a more difficult catch on a low/sinking ball, risk a return from deeper in the end zone with coverage units having more time to get downfield, or concede the 20 yard line start.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
I hate the new ball goes all the way to the 30 if it reaches the end zone on the fly rule. Just move the kickers back to the 30 again if you want more returns. Having a powerful kicker should be an advantage on kickoffs. (I hated the original proposal - where it came all the way out to the 35 - even more.)

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
I am not really enamored with the WR group after the top 3. They all have a wart or 2, and Idk where I land on them.

The top 3 are also kinda like the McEichel draft year. If they were all in separate drafts, they would all most likely be the #1 WR overall.

I don't wanna sit at 28 and just take whoever. I think we move back into the 40s or move UP to grab one of these top 3. We've talked plenty on the move down scenario, which, I think we all agree is the most likely. THAT BEING SAID.....

Most mocks I have seen have one of the top 3 WRs there at #9 overall. So, what does it take?

The Chiefs traded the 27th overall pick to the Bills in 2017 to move up to 10th overall. They included a 3rd in 2017 (91st overall) and their 2018 1st round pick.

Bills at 28th and moving to #9 should be very similar. Would you trade #28, the equivalent of a Bills 3rd (since we don't have ours and got screwed in the comp picks), and sacrifice the 2025 1st rounder to land one of the top 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino