RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Get Healthy (Milano, White, etc)

Figure out the cap

Fill in the roster (S, Dline)

Draft well (10 picks), add a playmaker WR

Will be hard to jump the Chiefs with cap and Reid/Spags staying
The Bills need to figure out how to make the key plays at the key times in key games.

The Chiefs offense was not great during the regular season and did raise their level in the playoffs to score just enough to get three close wins away from Arrowhead.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I think as more time passes, the more I think we have to admit the defensive injuries were huge. I was finally ready to watch the bills/chiefs game again and it was so clear that of our offense was constrained the whole game with the goal of taking up time of possession. Which is a difficult task.

I don’t think they are as concerned with a less battered defense.

Anyways, new season!!!

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I think as more tile passes, the more I think we have to admit the defensive injuries were huge. I was finnally ready to watch the bills/chiefs game again and it was so clear that of our offense was constrained the whole game with the goal of taking up time of possession. Which is a difficult task.

Anyways, new season!!!
The big issues on defense are the lack of returning talent at DT, DE, and S.

They are solid at LB & CB. But, there is a lot of work to do with just Ed Oliver signed at DT, Rousseau, Miller, and Jonathan signed at DE, and Poyer and Hamlin signed at S.

And with the limited cap space, Beane has his work cut out for himself.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
I think as more tile passes, the more I think we have to admit the defensive injuries were huge. I was finnally ready to watch the bills/chiefs game again and it was so clear that of our offense was constrained the whole game with the goal of taking up time of possession. Which is a difficult task.

Anyways, new season!!!
Defensive injuries have been huge against us for 2 years now.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
Time for Chris Jones to get paid aka leave the chiefs. That defense won’t be half as good without him. I dont think Kelce retires but hopefully he has a bad offseason traveling around with Swift and not getting the work in as a consequence. She did all this traveling for him now its his turn lol

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Time for Chris Jones to get paid aka leave the chiefs. That defense won’t be half as good without him. I dont think Kelce retires but hopefully he has a bad offseason traveling around with Swift and not getting the work in as a consequence. She did all this traveling for him now its his turn lol

KC has a lot of cap space. And they have a lot of key defensive UFAs including Jones and Sneed.

It will be interesting to see what they do this offseason.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Hearing about how several SF players literally didn't know the new playoff overtime rules is insane. Like how does the entire coaching staff forget to plan/prep for that possibility with a full 2 weeks off between the NFCCG and the SB

• Haha
Reactions: VaporTrail

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Hearing about how several SF players literally didn't know the new playoff overtime rules is insane. Like how does the entire coaching staff forget to plan/prep for that possibility with a full 2 weeks off between the NFCCG and the SB
If the coaches knew, that was the main thing. I doubt the players do anything differently if they knew that a TD didn't end the game on that opening drive.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
You answered your own question. The actual football rules are the same. I wouldn't want the players worrying about knowing any nuance of scoring / possession for an overtime circumstance which arises with a low probability. That's on the coaches. Are you asserting the coaches were unaware of the overtime rules?

After the Bills / Chiefs playoff game (Gabe Davis 4 TD, >200 yards, 0:13 seconds, KC OT win - however you want to describe that game) which changed the overtime rules for the playoffs, they are now aligned with the regular season OT rules, with the exception the game clock will not stop at 0:00 and play continues if the game is still tied.

1. Each team will be allowed to possess the ball.
2. Any defensive score wins the game.
3. The game continues until a tie is broken with both teams having possessed the ball. (i.e., unlike regular season, the game does not end after 10:00 min - which used to be 15 min.)

It's not hard. Get "touchdown" "field goal" and all that other stuff out of your head.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Get Healthy (Milano, White, etc)

Figure out the cap

Fill in the roster (S, Dline)

Draft well (10 picks), add a playmaker WR

Will be hard to jump the Chiefs with cap and Reid/Spags staying
I don't really see it as "jumping" them. We were a play away from beating them with half our defense injured. Not an excuse, just an observation that they were right there with them this year. Any given year they can break through with Allen going on a heater. Just need to hope it actually happens.

That said, I agree. It's unlikely this coming year is the one where we see marked improvement to the roster. Hopefully we just get a lot younger, and then 2025 they can have some stars emerging year 2.

The big issues on defense are the lack of returning talent at DT, DE, and S.

They are solid at LB & CB. But, there is a lot of work to do with just Ed Oliver signed at DT, Rousseau, Miller, and Jonathan signed at DE, and Poyer and Hamlin signed at S.

And with the limited cap space, Beane has his work cut out for himself.
They're going to be forced to finally play some kids. And honestly I think they'll be better for it. My new theory is one of the reasons we've struggled to find impact players is we have too many average vets in the way of seeing what we've really got with our youth. Won't be a problem this year.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Hardman didn't know either after he caught the TD

===
Did anyone read comments from Reid saying they would of gone for 2 point conversion in OT ? Thought I heard that this morning at work but was unsure

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
SmartSelect_20240212_123150_Instagram.jpg

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
The way the SB played out, I'm cool with it. I was pulling for SF, but it was an entertaining game to watch, especially second half and beyond.

SF is going to be back, even if Purdy has his limitations. The dude on a cheap ass rookie deal.
CMC under contract for two more reasonable and productive seasons.

Back to the draft. Even with the needs at safety, i don't think its a position you need to draft early. They have a knack for finding safety talent in FA, and outside the box converting hybrids to the safety role.

Id like to see the top picks end up being 2 D Linemen and 2 WRs. Really in any order.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
The way the SB played out, I'm cool with it. I was pulling for SF, but it was an entertaining game to watch, especially second half and beyond.

SF is going to be back, even if Purdy has his limitations. The dude on a cheap ass rookie deal.
CMC under contract for two more reasonable and productive seasons.

Back to the draft. Even with the needs at safety, i don't think its a position you need to draft early. They have a knack for finding safety talent in FA, and outside the box converting hybrids to the safety role.

Id like to see the top picks end up being 2 D Linemen and 2 WRs. Really in any order.

1.) You thought the SB was entertaining? I thought it was terribly dull and sloppy until the end of the 4th and OT. Damned near fell asleep at points.

2.) They found Hyde and Poyer......annnnnnd that's it. Rapp wasn't good. Neal isn't good. Hamlin isn't good, but fine for a 4th/5th safety I suppose. They've never converted a hybrid to a true safety. Marlowe was OK for a few years as the 3rd safety. Could they find another Hyde and another Poyer? Sure, but it's nothing to rely on, IMO

3.) 2 WRs early is overkill. Going into the season, we have: Diggs/Shakir/Shorter/Harty. One more rookie and one more veteran UFA who can block is fine. If there's a good one late -- by all means, go for it.

4.) I will still maintain that I would like to see our top 3 picks be DLine, Safety and WR. Maybe even in that order. Hell, we do 2 DLine and a safety and I'm OK with it.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
They're going to be forced to finally play some kids. And honestly I think they'll be better for it. My new theory is one of the reasons we've struggled to find impact players is we have too many average vets in the way of seeing what we've really got with our youth. Won't be a problem this year.
I don't really see that being the case.

They have had plenty of young impact players, especially this year with Kincaid and Torrence being day 1 starters and Bernard and Cook being impact players in year 2.

The biggest issue they have had with impact is that their draft misses or underinvestment have been consolidated in positions that are becoming huge needs. Epenesa and Basham did not become impact players because of average vets in front of them, for instance.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
2.) They found Hyde and Poyer......annnnnnd that's it. Rapp wasn't good. Neal isn't good. Hamlin isn't good, but fine for a 4th/5th safety I suppose. They've never converted a hybrid to a true safety. Marlowe was OK for a few years as the 3rd safety. Could they find another Hyde and another Poyer? Sure, but it's nothing to rely on, IMO

I mean that’s two for two on their first try of finding safeties!

3.) 2 WRs early is overkill. Going into the season, we have: Diggs/Shakir/Shorter/Harty. One more rookie and one more veteran UFA who can block is fine. If there's a good one late -- by all means, go for it.

I don’t think Harty will be back but that does make a difference for sure.

4.) I will still maintain that I would like to see our top 3 picks be DLine, Safety and WR. Maybe even in that order. Hell, we do 2 DLine and a safety and I'm OK with it.

Needs to be mainly offense for me to write them a mean letter :). But yea, dline is a big need and tough to fill outside of early in the draft

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
I don't really see that being the case.

They have had plenty of young impact players, especially this year with Kincaid and Torrence being day 1 starters and Bernard and Cook being impact players in year 2.

The biggest issue they have had with impact is that their draft misses or underinvestment have been consolidated in positions that are becoming huge needs. Epenesa and Basham did not become impact players because of average vets in front of them, for instance.

I wouldn’t put AJ with Boogie.

AJ is 6th in his rookie class in DE sacks and 9th overall. He has 1 less sack than the second overall pick.

AJ has been solid after his first year for where he was picked.

1.) You thought the SB was entertaining? I thought it was terribly dull and sloppy until the end of the 4th and OT. Damned near fell asleep at points.

The found Poyer and Hyde… and then didn’t need to find another starting safety. Those 2 signed knowing they’d start. Bills wouldn’t be able to sign a comparable player because they would be in competition against 2 of the best in the game.

If we move on from one of them and it’s an open starting spot, then it would be interesting to see what Beane can bring in.

All the other guys they brought in at S have been perfectly capable for the roles they needed and were expected to play.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I wouldn’t put AJ with Boogie.

AJ is 6th in his rookie class in DE sacks and 9th overall. He has 1 less sack than the second overall pick.

AJ has been solid after his first year for where he was picked.
Even in his best year, he was down the depth chart at DE and it wasn't because mediocre vets were in the way. It was because AJ did not outplay guys and created the need to sign vet FAs like Lawson and Miller.

Reactions: buffa dud
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad