Buffalo Bills It's the Off-Season. Go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
The problem is they're competing with the Vikings to do so
Edit: I think the discussion for Vegas is whether to wait at 44 and see who drops between Penix and Nix. In the latest PFF mock, Vegas stayed at 44 and took Penix.

In today's Athletic mock, they traded up to 21 for Penix.

I hope the Bills get Rousseau more at LE this season. Let Epenesa and Toohill split at RE and Miller can sub in when Rousseau moves inside to DT during rush downs.

Reactions: Dirty Dog and Husko

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
If I were at 28 in The Athletic mock, with the Bills needs, I think I'd go JPJ. Start him at LG this season and move over to center the season after.

Edit: I really like Darius Robinson, Chop Robinson, and Graham Barton.

D. Robinson projects as a LE type, and they've already got Rousseau who needs those snaps.

I really like Barton, who can play basically any position on the line and is a great athlete. JPJ is a shade better athlete and more powerful to take on inside rushers.

The hardest choice was with Chop Robinson. He's got the speed to play RE really well, and could be a game wrecker.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
If I were at 28 in The Athletic mock, with the Bills needs, I think I'd go JPJ. Start him at LG this season and move over to center the season after.
Or even just start him right at center from day 1 and keep McGovern where he's best at LG. But that's a decision for training camp. Either way I agree with you, when a prospect like that falls into your lap at a position you deem important where you don't have a set in stone long term answer, just take the player and move on. Set it and forget it, no regrets.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Or even just start him right at center from day 1 and keep McGovern where he's best at LG. But that's a decision for training camp. Either way I agree with you, when a prospect like that falls into your lap at a position you deem important where you don't have a set in stone long term answer, just take the player and move on. Set it and forget it, no regrets.
I added some to my original post to clarify my thinking on that pick.

JPJ will end up being rated higher than 28. So just like you wrote, you make the pick, insert the player into the lineup, and move on with filling needs in other ways.

Reactions: kirby11 and Husko

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011

Edit: I really like Darius Robinson, Chop Robinson, and Graham Barton.

D. Robinson projects as a LE type, and they've already got Rousseau who needs those snaps.

I really like Barton, who can play basically any position on the line and is a great athlete. JPJ is a shade better athlete and more powerful to take on inside rushers.

The hardest choice was with Chop Robinson. He's got the speed to play RE really well, and could be a game wrecker.
I've oscillated on this type of choice,
Specifically, Darius vs Chop vs WR (stated before I'm not drafting IOL early, don't want to relitigate), and I think the element they were missing most last year was speed off the edge. They were within a couple inches of sacking Mahomes many times, but not quite quick enough. So I think I go Chop here, knowing there's going to be an amazing WR prospect at 60. Darius is tough to pass up though, as he's such a unique prospect. These are probably the type of discussions they have all day long in draft prep.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Specifically, Darius vs Chop vs WR (stated before I'm not drafting IOL early, don't want to relitigate), and I think the element they were missing most last year was speed off the edge. They were within a couple inches of sacking Mahomes many times, but not quite quick enough. So I think I go Chop here, knowing there's going to be an amazing WR prospect at 60. Darius is tough to pass up though, as he's such a unique prospect. These are probably the type of discussions they have all day long in draft prep.
I don't disagree with any of this.

The Bills were easy to run against at times. So I could see Darius Robinson being discussed. I could also see a plan to trade up from 60 to get someone like Sweat and really bolster the defense's ability to stop the run out of a 4-2-5 alignment.

I could see Chop Robinson as the pick for the reasons you stated.

I also see WRs in the 3rd who could be good. Walker and Rice could be had if Beane trades back into the 3rd.

Lots for the front office to think about.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I don't disagree with any of this.

The Bills were easy to run against at times. So I could see Darius Robinson being discussed. I could also see a plan to trade up from 60 to get someone like Sweat and really bolster the defense's ability to stop the run out of a 4-2-5 alignment.

I could see Chop Robinson as the pick for the reasons you stated.

I also see WRs in the 3rd who could be good. Walker and Rice could be had if Beane trades back into the 3rd.

Lots for the front office to think about.
One of the strongest arguments I've read online lately with Darius Robinson to the Bills is that he is getting a lot of comparisons to Arik Armstead and the Bills were reportedly interested in signing Armstead.

It all comes down to what archetype of DE they want. They have gone after DEs like Darius (Rousseau, Epenesa, & Basham) and Chop (Miller & Floyd) recently.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
If they go DE early, I think I'd prefer that type of bendy/explosive rusher even if they're sacrificing some utility in terms of run-stopping. Mahomes is one of one in terms of sack evasion, but it seems like the Bills DEs have whiffed a ton on open sack opportunities the past few years--the first NYJ, DEN, and JAX games from last year come to mind as being frustrating with multiple potential 5-7+ yard losses turning into positive yardage through scrambles or broken play passes

Reactions: buffa dud

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If they go DE early, I think I'd prefer that type of bendy/explosive rusher even if they're sacrificing some utility in terms of run-stopping. Mahomes is one of one in terms of sack evasion, but it seems like the Bills DEs have whiffed a ton on open sack opportunities the past few years--the first NYJ, DEN, and JAX games from last year come to mind as being frustrating with multiple potential 5-7+ yard losses turning into positive yardage through scrambles or broken play passes
The Bills defense has had more success against Mahomes and the Chiefs with a cage rush that keeps Mahomes in the pocket and not with bendy guys trying to speed rushing wide and leaving lanes for Mahomes to escape.

:dunno:

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Alright let's get this party starting. Below is the link to the first round of the 2024 HF Bills Big Board. For those new to this exercise, you are voting for who you want the Bills to take. It's not a general big board and it's not a prediction. Your desires for the Bills.

As I mentioned previously, I have less time to run this this year. To that end, if anyone ever wants to do the next poll before I get to it, go for it! I usually leave polls up for at least one day.

I've included in the poll all top 10 non-QBs on Brugler's big board. From here, we'll add based on who folks vote to add. QBs are fair game, but I wasn't going to include them on the initial poll. Happy voting!
With 88% of the vote, MHJ is the winner. Dallas Turner the add with 75%.

New poll: 2024 HF Bills Big Board 2

1. Marvin Harrison Jr., WR, Ohio State (88%)

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Looking at that, I can only see round 1 guy where we pick starting D1/mid year is G, S, CB.
The outside receiver opposite Diggs right now is a guy who blocks good. You draft outside WR because not only do they start day 1 the only other guy you have that can catch out there who actuallt plays out there to any degree will be 32 next year and has fallen off a cliff two seasons in a row.

They have not prepared for this moment let alone that one. Who is making plays down field? And by down field I mean 8 yards away.

Draft WR.

Draft 2 of them

Draft 11 of them

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Thi
The outside receiver opposite Diggs right now is a guy who blocks good. You draft outside WR because not only do they start day 1 the only other guy you have that can catch out there who actuallt plays out there to any degree will be 32 next year and has fallen off a cliff two seasons in a row.

They have not prepared for this moment let alone that one. Who is making plays down field? And by down field I mean 8 yards away.

Draft WR.

Draft 2 of them

Draft 11 of them
This oversimplification of the Bills roster is getting old, Jeremy. You need a boundary reciever, yes. But the talent gap between a WR you get at 28 vs 60 is potentially insignificant compared to the talent gap between an edge you get at 28 and 60. Hell, the WR you WANT at 28 might be there at 60 because of the depth and diversity of this class. The DE you want at 28 won't be available at 32.

Edit: And keep in mind, I'm not only 100% fine with a WR at 28, I am desperately hoping my guy, AD, will be there and be the pick. But not picking a WR at 28 isn't necessarily a bad move.

Last edited:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Just ran my favorite mock so far this year.

Trades:

- Trade down from 28. Cincinnati trades 49, 80, and 115 for pick 28. They needed a receiver and went with Worthy. All the Bills top targets were gone (Robinson, DeJean, Barton, JPJ).
- Trade up with Bears from 80 to 75 using pick 163.
- Trade up with Washington from 115 to 100 using pick 133.

2-49) T'Vondre Sweat DT Texas
2-60) Kiran Amegadjie OT Yale
3-75) Devontez Walker WR North Carolina
3-100) Brendan Rice WR USC
4-128) Beaux Limmer C Arkansas
5-144) Tykee Smith S Georgia
5-160) Gabe Hall DT Baylor
6-189) Xavier Thomas DE Clemson
6-200) Sione Vaki S Utah
6-204) Carson Steele RB UCLA
7-248) Jordan Magee LB Temple

I like this draft because I was able to accomplish a bunch of things simultaneously:
- strengthen both lines
- get safety depth
- add boundary receivers
- get solid value

Adding Sweat fills a huge need at 1DT/NT. He's going to be immovable and free up the other Bills defenders. With the commitment to the 4-2-5, he's needed. Also adding Hall as a rotational pass rusher from the DT position was key. I was torn between Thomas and Braiden McGregor off the edge, but went with the faster player. It could've went either way.

This type of draft could go a long way to ensuring the offensive line stays a team strength. I like Amegadjie, a player who could start at LG and then eventually slide out fo LT or RT. He's got the type of raw ability that could result in a Jason Peters-lite type of player. Limmer is a high RAS C, and Beane likes those types.

For me, I like Walker better than any of the 2nd round boundary receivers. He's tall and fast but also had really good hands and a good feel for the position. He's raw in some aspects, but what he doesn't do well can be taught. Rice is my favorite prospect in the draft, doing many of the small things most receivers never do. I think he'll be a better pro than collegian.

Smith and Vaki are Bills style safeties and add needed depth and players for development. Steele is a short yardage hammer. Magee had the best RAS of the BPA in the 7th, and the Bills need depth.

Overall, I'd be really happy with this draft.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Trades:

- Trade down from 28. Cincinnati trades 49, 80, and 115 for pick 28. They needed a receiver and went with Worthy. All the Bills top targets were gone (Robinson, DeJean, Barton, JPJ).

6-200) Sione Vaki S Utah

I like this draft because I was able to accomplish a bunch of things simultaneously:
- strengthen both lines
- get safety depth
- add boundary receivers
- get solid value

Adding Sweat fills a huge need at 1DT/NT. He's going to be immovable and free up the other Bills defenders. With the commitment to the 4-2-5, he's needed. Also adding Hall as a rotational pass rusher from the DT position was key. I was torn between Thomas and Braiden McGregor off the edge, but went with the faster player. It could've went either way.

This type of draft could go a long way to ensuring the offensive line stays a team strength. I like Amegadjie, a player who could start at LG and then eventually slide out fo LT or RT. He's got the type of raw ability that could result in a Jason Peters-lite type of player. Limmer is a high RAS C, and Beane likes those types.

For me, I like Walker better than any of the 2nd round boundary receivers. He's tall and fast but also had really good hands and a good feel for the position. He's raw in some aspects, but what he doesn't do well can be taught. Rice is my favorite prospect in the draft, doing many of the small things most receivers never do. I think he'll be a better pro than collegian.

Smith and Vaki are Bills style safeties and add needed depth and players for development. Steele is a short yardage hammer. Magee had the best RAS of the BPA in the 7th, and the Bills need depth.

I love the idea of Sweat to the Bills. But, I wonder if the Bills see him as a fit for what they like in a 1T DT.

DaQuan Jones is 6'4" 320. Jordan Phillips is 6'6" 341. Poona Ford is 5'11" 310. Linval Joseph is 6'4" 329.

Sweat was 6'4.5" 366 lbs at the Combine.

It's kind of like the Darius vs Chop conversation at DE for me.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I love the idea of Sweat to the Bills. But, I wonder if the Bills see him as a fit for what they like in a 1T DT.

DaQuan Jones is 6'4" 320. Jordan Phillips is 6'6" 341. Poona Ford is 5'11" 310. Linval Joseph is 6'4" 329.

Sweat was 6'4.5" 366 lbs at the Combine.

It's kind of like the Darius vs Chop conversation at DE for me.
Great thoughts. Star Lotulelei (6-2/315) and Kawann Short (6-3/315) were McDermott's workhorse DTs in Carolina. Dwan Edwards was the primary backup and he was 6-3/305.

If they've got a type, then McKinnley Jackson is more of it than Sweat.

I like the idea of Sweat to the Bills as well. I think having a powerhouse 1T DT could help free up their other defenders. The current Bills defense has few players who can truly stack and stuff run plays on a consistent basis.

That is also why I like Darius Robinson. He's powerful and can stack an edge.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES

Trades:

6-200) Sione Vaki S Utah

- strengthen both lines
- get safety depth
- add boundary receivers
- get solid value

My only issue is we are cutting/losing some of those 11 picks. How many are going to make the roster? 5? 8? Maybe you want 11 and it's just good competition for camp, since if you draft 7 and think 7 will make it, what if one busts during camp. But, still... I'd rather see them draft 8 or 9 at the max.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
What I see so far:

QB: Allen, Trubisky
RB: Cook, Johnson, Gilliam
WR: Diggs, Samuel, Shakir, Hollins, Shorter, Isabella
TE: Kincaid, Knox, Morris
OT: Dawkins, Brown, Van Demark
OG: Edwards, Torrence, Anderson
C: McGovern

DE: Rousseau, Miller, Epenesa, Toohill, Jonathan
DT: Oliver, Jones, Ankou
OLB: Milano, Williams, Morrow
MLB: Bernard, Spector
NB: Johnson, Lewis
CB: Douglas, Benford, Elam
S: Rapp, Hamlin

ST: Bass, Martin/Haack, Ferguson

What I see Beane doing:

QB: I don't expect him to draft anyone else, position looks set
RB: draft a power back later or bring one in late on a bargain deal
WR: I think Beane adds a X receiver rounds 1-4
TE: possible a late round flyer on a blocking TE
OT: I think OT is a sneaky need, with Brown's contract upcoming. I expect Beane to take a OT for development in the draft, and might be earlier than expected.
G: late round draft add for development.
C: could be a 1st round addition with how this draft stacks up. That player could start at OG or McGovern goes back to OG.

DE: Unless Verse or one of the Robinson's are available, I think this position is a late add.
DT: I see Beane adding 2 DTs in the draft. It's a depth need, and they need someone to eventually replace Jones.
LB: depth addition in the draft.
NB: not a need
CB: possibly a late round addition for depth and development, a Wallace or Jackson type.
S: Beane probably adds another FA here, but could also be DeJean if he falls.

Overall, with the roster needs and what's available in the draft, I think Beane will go BPA in the 1st and see if someone unexpected falls near 28. He's got to add about 10 players, but because of what he did in free agency, he no longer needs to fill the roster will rookies. A Beane-special trade up could also be in the works.

Biggest needs, in order of what I see: DT, S, OL, WR, CB

Trades:

6-200) Sione Vaki S Utah

- strengthen both lines
- get safety depth
- add boundary receivers
- get solid value

My only issue is we are cutting/losing some of those 11 picks. How many are going to make the roster? 5? 8? Maybe you want 11 and it's just good competition for camp, since if you draft 7 and think 7 will make it, what if one busts during camp. But, still... I'd rather see them draft 8 or 9 at the max.
Rookies I drafted in my hypothetical mock in bold

QB: Allen, Trubisky
RB: Cook, Johnson, Gilliam, Steele
WR: Diggs, Samuel, Shakir, Hollins, Shorter, Walker, Rice
TE: Kincaid, Knox, Morris
OT: Dawkins, Brown, Van Demark, Amegadjie
OG: Edwards, Torrence, Anderson
C: McGovern, Limmer

DE: Rousseau, Miller, Epenesa, Toohill, Jonathan, Thomas
DT: Oliver, Jones, Sweat, Hall
OLB: Milano, Williams, Morrow, Magee
MLB: Bernard, Spector
NB: Johnson, Lewis
CB: Douglas, Benford, Elam
S: Rapp, Edwards, Smith, Vaki

ST: Bass, Martin/Haack, Ferguson

Cut a receiver, OL, or DE and add a CB, and it all works pretty easily. And now that I see this, I'd work to add a boundary CB later in the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad