Buffalo Bills It's the Off-Season. Go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Not getting that 3rd for Edmunds really f***ed Beane's game plan. There's no way he trades a 3rd if he didn't expect one back. I don't see how they find a safety in the draft and a WR and a DE with two picks in the top 140.

Edit: IMO, if they can't trade down, they almost definitely just don't draft a WR until late.
The Bills usually keep 6-7 rookies.

The Bills have 11 picks in this draft. I will not be surprised if Beane were to be aggressive in moving up from 128 and/or 133 with the 3 5ths, 3 6ths, and the 7th that they own.

I also won't be too surprised if this is the year that Beane trades back in the first to get back into the 3rd round that way. He has options.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
QB: Allen, Trubisky
RB: Cook, Johnson, Evans/FA/draft pick
FB: Gilliam
WR: Diggs, Hollins, Shorter/Shavers
WR: Shakir, Draft pick
SWR: Samuel, Hamler/Isabella
TE: Kincaid, Knox, Morris
LT: Dawkins, Van Demark
LG: Edwards, Anderson
C: McGovern, draft pick
RG: Torrence
RT: Brown, Doyle/Gouraige

DE: Miller, Epenesa, Jonathan
DT: Jones, FA/draft pick
DT: Oliver, Ankou
DE: Rousseau, Toohill
LB: Bernard, Morrow, Spector
LB: Milano, Williams
NCB: Johnson, Lewis
CB: Douglas, Elam, draft pick
CB: Benford, Ingram/draft pick
S: Edwards, Hamlin/FA/draft pick
S: Rapp, FA/draft pick
K: Bass
P: Haack/Martin
LS: Ferguson

Already not a lot of glaring holes before the draft. Lots of time left in the offseason and another $10M in cap space coming June 1 when any remaining free agents are no longer considered for the compensatory picks.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
QB: Allen, Trubisky
RB: Cook, Johnson, Evans/FA/draft pick
FB: Gilliam
WR: Diggs, Hollins, Shorter/Shavers
WR: Shakir, Draft pick
SWR: Samuel, Hamler/Isabella
TE: Kincaid, Knox, Morris
LT: Dawkins, Van Demark
LG: Edwards, Anderson
C: McGovern, draft pick
RG: Torrence
RT: Brown, Doyle/Gouraige

DE: Miller, Epenesa, Jonathan
DT: Jones, FA/draft pick
DT: Oliver, Ankou
DE: Rousseau, Toohill
LB: Bernard, Morrow, Spector
LB: Milano, Williams
NCB: Johnson, Lewis
CB: Douglas, Elam, draft pick
CB: Benford, Ingram/draft pick
S: Edwards, Hamlin/FA/draft pick
S: Rapp, FA/draft pick
K: Bass
P: Haack/Martin
LS: Ferguson

Already not a lot of glaring holes before the draft. Lots of time left in the offseason and another $10M in cap space coming June 1 when any remaining free agents are no longer considered for the compensatory picks.

Looking at that, I can only see round 1 guy where we pick starting D1/mid year is G, S, CB.

Reactions: Digable5

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Not getting that 3rd for Edmunds really f***ed Beane's game plan. There's no way he trades a 3rd if he didn't expect one back. I don't see how they find a safety in the draft and a WR and a DE with two picks in the top 140.

Edit: IMO, if they can't trade down, they almost definitely just don't draft a WR until late.
Any time I stay at 28 in my PFN, PFF, and other mocks, there's never a receiver with the value of 28 available. It's either trade up for Thomas, or trade down.

What worries me the most about 28 is if no one drops and Beane can't find a trade down partner. The trade down options for a 2nd and 3rd are there, if someone wants to trade up.

I've had plenty of mock drafts where the BPAs are Newton, Murphy, and Guyton.

I do hope Nix drops and some teams that misses out on a QB tries to trade up.
The Bills usually keep 6-7 rookies.

The Bills have 11 picks in this draft. I will not be surprised if Beane were to be aggressive in moving up from 128 and/or 133 with the 3 5ths, 3 6ths, and the 7th that they own.

I also won't be too surprised if this is the year that Beane trades back in the first to get back into the 3rd round that way. He has options.
I am a huge fans of Beane trading down and if possible, multiple times.

I also think this is the year to keep more than 6-7 rookies. The Bills have had to walk away from talent the past few years, and even had true rookies plucked off the practice squad. I'd like to see Beane fortify the back end of the roster with younger players who could develop. The team needs more unlikely development. Levi Wallace, Taron Johnson, Dane Jackson, Christian Benford, Matt Milano, etc.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Devontez Walker is available pretty consistently around pick 80. If Beane can trade down, and get a pick in that area, I like him better than Franklin, Mitchell, or Worthy.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Any time I stay at 28 in my PFN, PFF, and other mocks, there's never a receiver with the value of 28 available. It's either trade up for Thomas, or trade down.

What worries me the most about 28 is if no one drops and Beane can't find a trade down partner. The trade down options for a 2nd and 3rd are there, if someone wants to trade up.

I've had plenty of mock drafts where the BPAs are Newton, Murphy, and Guyton.

I do hope Nix drops and some teams that misses out on a QB tries to trade up.

I am a huge fans of Beane trading down and if possible, multiple times.

I also think this is the year to keep more than 6-7 rookies. The Bills have had to walk away from talent the past few years, and even had true rookies plucked off the practice squad. I'd like to see Beane fortify the back end of the roster with younger players who could develop. The team needs more unlikely development. Levi Wallace, Taron Johnson, Dane Jackson, Christian Benford, Matt Milano, etc.
I think the sites' rankings are behind. AD Mitchell will be a top 20 pick and could very well go before BJT.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
FWIW my money is strongly on DL and WR as our first two picks if we don't trade down. Easy alignment of draft value, team need, and positional importance.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I think the sites' rankings are behind. AD Mitchell will be a top 20 pick and could very well go before BJT.
Brugler seems to be the most comprehensive draftnik there is now, so I go by his rankings and then the final PFF rankings.

He's got Mitchell at 35 right now but I suspect he'll be ranked about 25 from his combine and pro day results.

The Athletic just put up another mock. Darius Robinson was the pick, but JPJ, Barton, Morgan, and Chop Robinson were available. They also had a trade up for Penix, which might happen but I see Penix as an Andy Dalton level QB prospect so I don't know if that type of trade happens.

If those 4 players were available, I'd take any of them at 28. A small trade back gets the Bills an extra 4th, and still gets them the player they want.

Again hoping for a team that really likes a QB to overpay to trade up. Vegas could be that team.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021

Will be interesting to see his comments on this when he does his next press and if they appealed it.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Looking at that, I can only see round 1 guy where we pick starting D1/mid year is G, S, CB.
I think DE (especially if Miller is still a far cry from his pre-ACL self) and DT are two positions where you can get players who you might not say are starters, but that get significant snap shares as rookies.

Ed Oliver led all Bills DTs in defensive snap percentage in 2023 and he played only 68.1% of snaps.

Greg Rousseau led all Bills DEs with 54.57% of snaps.

Losing Floyd (53.82%), maybe Lawson (29.94%), maybe Phillips (36.57%), Settle (35.35%), and Joseph (15.02%) and only adding a real depth guy in Toohill at DE means that they still have a lot of DL snaps to replace. Some of that will be from more snaps (hopefully) for guys like Jones and Epenesa. But, they need to get younger, cheaper, and better along the DL than they are today.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
If we're looking for trade-down spots, I'd be looking at teams with an earlyish 2nd that might miss out on the top 4 QBs and want to trade up to grab one of the next tier on a 5th year option:

(34) Patriots if they don't take one at at 3 (but in that case they probably just punt to 2025, right?)
(44) Raiders
(45) Saints (lol at them actually thinking long term)
(47) Giants

Not a lot of great options as the board currently sits.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
If we're looking for trade-down spots, I'd be looking at teams with an earlyish 2nd that might miss out on the top 4 QBs and want to trade up to grab one of the next tier on a 5th year option:

(34) Patriots if they don't take one at at 3 (but in that case they probably just punt to 2025, right?)
(44) Raiders
(47) Giants

I was looking at Vegas.

Vegas 44 and 77 are fair value for 28

Saints don't have a 3rd. I'm not sure I'd want what they'd offer.

Giants 47 and 70 are fair value, though I'm not sure I see them moving on from Jones for Penix or Nix.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I was looking at Vegas.

Vegas 44 and 77 are fair value for 28

Saints don't have a 3rd. I'm not sure I'd want what they'd offer.

Giants 47 and 70 are fair value, though I'm not sure I see them moving on from Jones for Penix or Nix.
If it's the Giants specifically I wonder if Rattler would be their target. Sort of a poor man's Allen in terms of profile (lots of unpolished talent). But yeah, I don't know if any of these guys are worth jumping up for the 5th year option for.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
I would be most interested in OL, DL or WR early in the draft.

S might get consideration because one of the top options could drop to 28 and because I'm not confident with those on the roster. But, there are still a lot of safety options on the market. And, the Bills have proven they can find contributing DBs in later rounds. Also, I think Ingram could get consideration over Elam this training camp and be the next Dane Jackson.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

(44) Raiders
(47) Giants

I think someone wanting to jump up and get a QB is only one reason to jump up into the late 1st. There are always teams that move up into the last 5-10 picks in the 1st round to grab a guy they want who they fear won't fall to them.

A QB falling just tends to add to the desire to move up and means that you can sometimes squeeze them for a little better return.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I think Vegas might make a move. Telesco was an intern with the Bills right before I got there, so we never met, but I know that he got the same sort of insights, though he was a summer time intern since he was already in college.

He's no dummy and the Raiders won't make the historically typical Raiders moves with him as the GM.

I see the Raiders making a really strong move for McCarthy. They've got the draft picks to get to pick 5 or 6 without killing the rest of their draft year or next year. He's got the physical talent and the mental ability to be for the Raiders what Herbert is for the Chargers.

If that doesn't happen, I can see them looking at Nix or Penix. QB IQ is a high trait with the Bills and Colts, where he scouted. But I don't know if either is good enough to warrant a trade up from 44.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I think Vegas might make a move. Telesco was an intern with the Bills right before I got there, so we never met, but I know that he got the same sort of insights, though he was a summer time intern since he was already in college.

He's no dummy and the Raiders won't make the historically typical Raiders moves with him as the GM.

I see the Raiders making a really strong move for McCarthy. They've got the draft picks to get to pick 5 or 6 without killing the rest of their draft year or next year. He's got the physical talent and the mental ability to be for the Raiders what Herbert is for the Chargers.

If that doesn't happen, I can see them looking at Nix or Penix. QB IQ is a high trait with the Bills and Colts, where he scouted. But I don't know if either is good enough to warrant a trade up from 44.
The problem is they're competing with the Vikings to do so

Reactions: ValJamesDuex
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad