Confirmed with Link: It's Started! (Management firings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Is all of this any surprise in Pittsburgh and the sport of Hockey and its media? There has always been very few legit media sources when it comes to Hockey and this town.

Everyone is all up the Steelers asses and when they need something to talk about they will come up with some click bait article on the Pens to get some "cred"

Rinse repeat.

Last edited:

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Friedman says he thinks the Penguins are willing to wait on Dubas over the holiday weekend. He believes it's Dubas' job if he wants it, but it's not closed yet. He noted he believes a chunk of FSG is at the Grand Prix in Monaco this weekend, so if they need to sign off or be involved in-person, that's another reason for a possible delay to next week.

Friedman added that if it's not Dubas, he believes Mathieu Darche is still involved but is not sure if he's the only one.

He and Marek both talked about the possibility of Dubas still keeping an eye on Ottawa and just how long the Penguins are willing to wait for a decision.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Tick tick tick... draft is like a month away...
Eh, the people are in place to continue doing their scouting and Dubas was prepping for the draft already with Toronto. He'll just combine the scouts' reports with what he has from Toronto, establish some priorities, define the kind of prospects he wants, and the scouts will cull their list from there. Maybe he wants some additional prospect interviews since the Pens are picking in a different spot than where Toronto was (through a pick from Boston) and since he has a third round pick, which he didn't have in Toronto.

If this is wrapped in the next 7 days, they're fine.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Eh, the people are in place to continue doing their scouting and Dubas was prepping for the draft already with Toronto. He'll just combine the scouts' reports with what he has from Toronto, establish some priorities, define the kind of prospects he wants, and the scouts will cull their list from there. Maybe he wants some additional prospect interviews since the Pens are picking in a different spot than where Toronto was (through a pick from Boston) and since he has a third round pick, which he didn't have in Toronto.

If this is wrapped in the next 7 days, they're fine.
All Dubas has to do is take 30 seconds to scan the SOO Greyhounds roster to make his picks.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Dubas should join the Pens instead of the Sens.

History of winning, alltime great players, chance to rebuild a team his way with his own core instead of a team that already has their core players set, Pens you can write with so he can write on a piece of paper "Pens sens Ottawa golfing in the first round".

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Tick tick tick... draft is like a month away...
I don’t care about the draft too much - even if Dubas took the job yesterday he’s probably not doing away with the scouting department and their work until after the draft.

However, as pro Dubas as I am, he either wants the job or he doesn’t. If he needs time to consult his family, okay. But if this is a “wait and see what the Sens do” situation, let’s go with Darche and not offend someone who actually wants the job.

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
I don’t care about the draft too much - even if Dubas took the job yesterday he’s probably not doing away with the scouting department and their work until after the draft.

However, as pro Dubas as I am, he either wants the job or he doesn’t. If he needs time to consult his family, okay. But if this is a “wait and see what the Sens do” situation, let’s go with Darche and not offend someone who actually wants the job.
I do wonder about this. Hope Darche still is willing to accept if Dubas doesn’t. I know this is how interviews go and what not but still.

Reactions: Lustaf

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

True enough.

I was just (unrealistically) hoping beyond hope that this thing could be wrapped fast enough to chuck the whole scouting department out to the curb before they get to the draft. But that's probably not prudent for a variety of reasons... even if I think it's probably warranted.

I know this team has had weak draft capital for years. But even with that in mind the results have been... not good.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Yeah, I don't think the draft adds pressure. Sully and the scouting dept. probably already have a list of guys they're gonna target. If anything, the closer we get to the draft with this still up in the air, the chances the team deals the pick drop precipitously. Though, I don't really care, because the 14th overall is in that no man's land between valuable 1st rounder and meh value for like a 20th+. You're probably looking at somebody like Conor Garland's tier if you deal the pick, and I gotta say, not stoked to land yet another $5 million AAV middle-6 guy who is small and only good for 40-50pts. :laugh:

Reactions: BillyOcean

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
I'm not crazy about FSG basically waiting for Dubas until he makes up his mind, especially if he's not fully convinced about taking the position. I'd give him the holiday weekend but I'd pivot to Darche after Monday if he still hasn't decided.
That's sort of my interpretation of what I heard

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
It’s almost like these venture capital machines are just like any other dumb idiots.

I can’t wait until they trade a beloved player because they made fun of FSG’s favorite podcast during practice.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Am I the only one that does not want Dubas?
I understand people not being sold on his resume. But the more I hear out of Toronto the more I think he was also held back from some stuff. It would be nice to have a GM who isn't extremely old and eccentric like Rutherford or extremely out of touch and paranoid like Hextall. By all accounts everybody who works for Dubas has good things to say about him.

This hire could dictate the entire rebuild.
I'm glad they're being maximally patient and thorough. Losing a few days is nothing in the grand scheme.
Yea, if you're sure on somebody then you use all the time it takes.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
It’s almost like these venture capital machines are just like any other dumb idiots.

I can’t wait until they trade a beloved player because they made fun of FSG’s favorite podcast during practice.
The funny thing about all this hoopla with interviews is that in my experience some of the best workers at places where I've worked were people who might not necessarily interview that well.

Nobody has any idea what they're going to get when they hire people. They want to think they know and that all the due diligence they do over hires makes a difference, but it doesn't. It's all luck in the end. I've seen people who interview well but are shitty employees and the reverse. Most companies have no idea wtf they're gonna get when they hire people, but they like to pretend they do.

Hockey is a little different because there's a clearer body of work to look at when it comes to hiring a gm, but even there I don't think a lot of orgs really know what they're gonna get.

Hell, look at JR. Old school gun slinger GM and that hire was not viewed as a brilliant one at the time. And he ended up being one of the best GMs we've ever had, at least for a few year stretch lol.

Nobody knows with this shit how it'll turn out

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
He’s a Canadian with young kids who hasn’t worked in the US…I see nothing wrong with him taking time to make this important decision that will relocate his family

Reactions: Zirakzigil

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
For me, the Marlies being 6th last year in the AHL despite the big club making the playoffs 7 years straight (and having to trade picks to contend), speaks volumes about Dubas' ability to guide a rebuild.
Not to mention the sheer amount of man-games Marlies players have given to the big club, while being useful pieces. Compare that to what the Marlies were and did for the Leafs before Dubas. It's night and day.
Say what you want about what he could do these next 2-3 years the Pens are still trying to win, but we're mega unlikely to win it all. What Dubas could really help with is what happens after that. And there's no reason to think Darche is better qualified to handle that than him.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
He’s a Canadian with young kids who hasn’t worked in the US…I see nothing wrong with him taking time to make this important decision that will relocate his family
From his perspective I get it from the Pittsburgh Penguins perspective however we need to get a guy in place here. We have to be prepared for the draft and potential trades and such. If it all gets done Tuesday or Wednesday then I can see that, if it goes beyond that then maybe move on to something or someone else.

Reactions: Andy99

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
For me, the Marlies being 6th last year in the AHL despite the big club making the playoffs 7 years straight (and having to trade picks to contend), speaks volumes about Dubas' ability to guide a rebuild.
Not to mention the sheer amount of man-games Marlies players have given to the big club, while being useful pieces. Compare that to what the Marlies were and did for the Leafs before Dubas. It's night and day.
Say what you want about what he could do these next 2-3 years the Pens are still trying to win, but we're mega unlikely to win it all. What Dubas could really help with is what happens after that. And there's no reason to think Darche is better qualified to handle that than him.
If we get him I am curious what the new young blood will be like. I don't care what people say about them as they seem a little unhinged and suuuper obsessed.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Mark Madden mentioned and apparently it was also mentioned by Paul steigerwald that Edzo might somehow be involved. Can't say I'd be keen on that.

Reactions: Pens x and Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad