Confirmed with Link: It's Started! (Management firings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Elephant in the room with Rossi is that he's just not a stable person. He went from ridiculous unreliable Trib reporter for years, went on a mental health leave, came back to the Athletic and was actually somewhat reasonable to all of our shock.. and then went on another mental health leave and now he's back and he's just as ridiculous as he was in his Tribune days.

This is completely correct. If you admit having severe cognitive/mental health issues you should be doubted more. I've had mental health issues - may again, someday - and when I've been in the throes of it the volume on everything (even stuff unrelated to the issue itself) is turned up 10x.

I'm not saying Rossi can't be a good reporter with ADHD and whatever else. He just should have lost the benefit of the doubt.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This is completely correct. If you admit having severe cognitive/mental health issues you should be doubted more. I've had mental health issues - may again, someday - and when I've been in the throes of it the volume on everything (even stuff unrelated to the issue itself) is turned up 10x.

I'm not saying Rossi can't be a good reporter with ADHD and whatever else. He just should have lost the benefit of the doubt.

I mean that's a given, you have to have mental health issues to post on this website.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Yep. Mental health being important doesn't mean being put in places where your instability can affect others because it's not fair that you have something wrong with you. It means, or should mean, that there are avenues to help you.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Yep. Mental health being important doesn't mean being put in places where your instability can affect others because it's not fair that you have something wrong with you. It means, or should mean, that there are avenues to help you.
One of the best things to help going through dealing with mental issues is having a support person throughout your day. And what I mean by that is not just one person. But finding a person you can trust at each avenue through your day.

I had to swan dive into the treatment pool a few years back after a huge life melt down and get a lot of help and ended up on the other side with some medications and a support group. But you also need people to use as sounding boards through your day. You need that person at work can trust to pull you aside when your googly eyes start spinning and have some real talk.

You need that friend you can catch a coffee or beer with after work before you head home or go into the rest of your day. And if you have a significant other you need them to understand sometimes at home you need your significant other and others you need them purely as a sounding board and explain they need to compartmentally separate those two things at times.

I used to take mental health for granted and it’s just something you can put your head down and bull in a China shop through problems and it’s only people that can’t do that who fall apart. Then life smack battled me across the face. :laugh:

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
One of the best things to help going through dealing with mental issues is having a support person throughout your day. And what I mean by that is not just one person. But finding a person you can trust at each avenue through your day.

I had to swan dive into the treatment pool a few years back after a huge life melt down and get a lot of help and ended up on the other side with some medications and a support group. But you also need people to use as sounding boards through your day. You need that person at work can trust to pull you aside when your googly eyes start spinning and have some real talk.

You need that friend you can catch a coffee or beer with after work before you head home or go into the rest of your day. And if you have a significant other you need them to understand sometimes at home you need your significant other and others you need them purely as a sounding board and explain they need to compartmentally separate those two things at times.

I used to take mental health for granted and it’s just something you can put your head down and bull in a China shop through problems and it’s only people that can’t do that who fall apart. Then life smack battled me across the face. :laugh:

Right, but that's an attititude around substantively getting better.

Rossi's mental health stuff has largely been "please give me sympathy points."
I don't have sympathy for people who aren't willing to do the work to get better.

We'll see if this gets him fired.

Reactions: BillyOcean

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office

I don't have sympathy for people who aren't willing to do the work to get better.

That’s true. And I do agree that eventually the rope does need to run out for someone when they just refuse and refuse to right the boat. My only criticism of that point goes also to myself. Sometimes you don’t even realize you need help until you’ve completely painted yourself in the corner to make yourself confront that your mental state has gone to absolute shit. I just refused to accept my wings of wax were melting as I flew faster and faster toward the sun till I was in free fall.

But people that do try to weaponize their problems to turn the table with the intent of bringing people into their corner do frustrate me to almost no end. They are the most frustrating type of people. I try to have patience for almost everyone to varying degrees. Those personality types are extremely difficult to have patience for.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007

I get being critical of the guy for his work, but the dude apparently went through pretty severe issues with his speech, tremors, and more.

Sorry, but that's a lot more than acting out for sympathy points or being a narcissist. That's actual neurological conditions that he had to get treatment for.

I think we can criticize reporters without attacking their mental health or any other issues they may be dealing with.

Reactions: mephisto1812

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I get being critical of the guy for his work, but the dude apparently went through pretty severe issues with his speech, tremors, and more.

Sorry, but that's a lot more than acting out for sympathy points or being a narcissist. That's actual neurological conditions that he had to get treatment for.

I think we can criticize reporters without attacking their mental health or any other issues they may be dealing with.

He is an unreliable reporter because his mental health is unstable.

He defamed numerous people because his mental health is unstable.

Until he gets better he should not have a platform, or he needs to be checked rigorously.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
He is an unreliable reporter because his mental health is unstable.

He defamed numerous people because his mental health is unstable.

Until he gets better he should not have a platform, or he needs to be checked rigorously.
Yohe was a co-author on this story. We don't know which of them contributed the Blueger information, which so far has been the only information demonstrably proven false. Could there be other inaccuracies? Absolutely. But there is no way to know which of them is responsible unless further information is revealed.

Also, defamation falls under two very specific definition as libel and slander. There is a specific clause that allows for "mistake of fact" that often protects reporters from this very issue. Blueger has no case because he was in no way damaged by this report. The only who could remotely look into anything is Hextall and Burke, and the previously mentioned protections would likely prevent any case from occurring.

Finally, and most importantly, you're observing someone from afar through impersonal mediums. You have no way of knowing his mental health, or that of anyone who does not directly share their very specific issues with you. Even doctors refuse to diagnose anyone or comment on anyone who is not their patient.

Hold reporters to a standard of accuracy and trust. That's fine. But it is cruel to suggest someone is mentally unstable without knowing anything about them.

Reactions: vodeni

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Yohe was a co-author on this story. We don't know which of them contributed the Blueger information, which so far has been the only information demonstrably proven false. Could there be other inaccuracies? Absolutely. But there is no way to know which of them is responsible unless further information is revealed.

Also, defamation falls under two very specific definition as libel and slander. There is a specific clause that allows for "mistake of fact" that often protects reporters from this very issue. Blueger has no case because he was in no way damaged by this report. The only who could remotely look into anything is Hextall and Burke, and the previously mentioned protections would likely prevent any case from occurring.

Finally, and most importantly, you're observing someone from afar through impersonal mediums. You have no way of knowing his mental health, or that of anyone who does not directly share their very specific issues with you. Even doctors refuse to diagnose anyone or comment on anyone who is not their patient.

It is cruel to suggest someone is mentally unstable without knowing anything about them.

Okay. I'll classify him as a fabulist reporter who makes stuff up.
You, not his doctor/therapist, spoke openly about his symptoms.

Nice semantics game though.

And lol that we don't know whether Yohe or Rossi wrote the Blueger part. Come on.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I don't really care if it makes me seem like an asshole pointing out the obvious. Rossi makes his issues definitional. He at one point had ADHD or something as his pfp, and his bio was all his diagnoses, and then at the same time his bio said something akin to "my mental health doesn't define me." Bro you literally defined yourself by your problems. The point is that we can SEE the problems through his work. You don't get to act like an unstable person in public, be held up as a professional and then be immune to criticism. You have to pick a lane. I don't think he is qualified for his job.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Okay. I'll classify him as a fabulist reporter who makes stuff up.
You, not his doctor/therapist, spoke openly about his symptoms.

Nice semantics game though.

And lol that we don't know whether Yohe or Rossi wrote the Blueger part. Come on.
I shared what he has shared publicly. Symptoms that are not indicative of mental illness, by the way.

But you do you. Just trying to encourage a little civility in an uncivil world.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I shared what he has shared publicly. Symptoms that are not indicative of mental illness, by the way.

I'm not saying Rossi is a bad person. I would believe he was, actually, if his struggles weren't documented. I am saying he is not trustworthy and has shown a pattern of instability aside from about a year (2019ish) of being markedly more stable and level headed in his columns and reporting.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

Trust me, the way to get better from mental health issues is not through enablement. That's the easy way out.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
FSG is the Ron Hextall of ownership groups with their patience in finding a GM.

It’ll get to the point where we will waste another season this time because “the new GM didn’t have enough time.”

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007

I'm not saying Rossi is a bad person. I would believe he was, actually, if his struggles weren't documented. I am saying he is not trustworthy and has shown a pattern of instability aside from about a year (2019ish) of being markedly more stable and level headed in his columns and reporting.
My point is mental illness does not equate to instability or being untrustworthy.

Are there people who have mental health issues and that affects their job performance? Sure. But not always.

There are millions of people who do their jobs successfully every day despite battling depression, anxiety, ADHD or countless other challenges.

There are also millions of people who are just bad at their jobs.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
My point is mental illness does not equate to instability or being untrustworthy.

Are there people who have mental health issues and that affects their job performance? Sure. But not always.Are there people who have mental health issues and that affects their job performance? Sure. But not always.

There are millions of people who do their jobs successfully every day despite battling depression, anxiety, ADHD or countless other challenges.

There are also millions of people who are just bad at their jobs.

Yes. Unlike tens of millions of people who have overcome their personal demons to do a good job, Rob has not.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I generally dislike when professionals speak about their personal life in their work space because of this. I’m not diminishing mental health issues. I think North America is especially woeful at dealing with MHI. But Rob Rossi’s job performance is his job performance regardless of any health issues. If those health issues are keeping you from doing your job properly, ethically, morally, etc… get the issues taken care of first.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
FSG is the Ron Hextall of ownership groups with their patience in finding a GM.

It’ll get to the point where we will waste another season this time because “the new GM didn’t have enough time.”
We're about to choose arguably the best candidate available, a proper POHO, and AGM. Not really the time to slam FSG, just because they're a week slower than you'd like in May.
They were ready to choose like a week ago, but Dubas got fired.

Just try to be happy for once lol. Won't kill you.

TKalltheTime

KILLER PARTIES, ALMOST KILLED ME!
Jan 5, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
It’s not just that Yohe & Rossi are easy targets to make fun of and hell usually go out of their way to make themselves look like f***ing clown shoes. It’s the fact that these townie super losers have a long track record of over a decade worth of lies and bullshit being “reported” that stains their names, and that initiates an instant eye roll and makes me think the person who pays to read this shit is an instant moron. These fat sacks of shit are and will always be f***in’ losers.

Here is all you need to know about this whole steaming pile of shit "story"... this f***in coward basically has "comments turned off" on his twitter. What a down & out f***in loser.

IMG_4152.png

Reactions: Gurglesons

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Rossi's recent health thing is a neurological disorder. It's not a mental illness.

Hate on the guy for being a hack writer (even before this), don't blame it on his condition.

And what in the world happened to our dedicated thread where we could bash the shit out of our terrible media folks?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Blu, blu, where for art thou, TeddyBlu?

Deny thy Hextall and refuse thy trade.
Or if thou wilt not, be but my sworn winger
And I’ll no longer be a Penguin.

Tis but thy GM that is my enemy:

Thou art thyself, though not a Blues.

What’s Blues? It is nor person nor place

Nor thing nor verb nor any other word

Belonging to a Blues. O be some other team.

What’s in a team? That which we call a GM
By any other name would be as incompetent;

So teddy would, were he not teddy call’d,

Retain that dear roster spot which he owes

Without that title. Teddy, doff thy team,

And for that team, which is no part of thee,

Take all myself.

- Sidney Crosby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events