Sportsnet: "It's something that can potentially happen in the future " Milan Lucic on playing for Canucks

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Great then we can have the 2 biggest Finnish busts in recent history PLUS the worst contract in the NHL w Lucic.

Where do I sign up ?

I’d rather use our cap space on obtaining futures/prospects like Pool Party rather than overpaying depth players on multi-year deals like Gagner, Del Zotto, Beagle, Roussel, etc. This type of move would be an upgrade for Benning.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Carey Price will be just as useless as Lucic before his contract is up...and that's 10.5M useless, not 6M. Same with Weber, same with a lot of other player on higher and longer contracts.
6M isn't the worse dollar amount - not sure why there's so much lip service about it. It's not like Lucic makes 10M
In Lucic’s case, it’s because (1) he is useless right now in the NHL but still uses up a roster spot, (2) he eats up valuable cap space, (3) his NMC makes him extremely difficult to trade, (4) he cannot be sent to the AHL, (5) his contract is almost buyout-proof, and (6) he must be protected during the next expansion draft.

Neither Price nor Weber have all those negatives. Weber would be very easy to trade right now (not that Montreal would want to), and Price quite likely still has many productive years still ahead.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Really odd interview. Lucic was asked if he still dreams of playing for Canucks.

I for sure thought he would say something like my focus is with the Oilers etc etc etc...

Instead he drops these nuggets

- it's something that can potentially happen in the future

- it hasn't gone well in Edmonton

- whatever happened since 2011 between Vancouver and I , it's all water under the bridge

- He then goes into detail about the Canucks team and talks about Benning and coach Travis Green and how he loves their young core and prospects

- says he has always dreamt of playing for Canucks

Maybe he knows something and that the Canucks andOilers are in discussion.

What would your proposal be to bring Milan home.

Obviously this is one of if not the WORST contract in the NHL so if Milan is going to Vancouver then Eriksson is going to EDM imo.

Eriksson is the way better player and has 1 year less that Lucic in his term for his contract so Edmonton would have to add.

Eriksson is still very good defensively and can do well in a proper situation. He scored 2 goals and 1 assist today for Tean Sweden vs Russia.

To Van
Lucic
2nd rnd pick 2019

To Edm
Loui Eriksson

once

Erickssons contract is as bad as lucid and he is older. We are not adding a second. There was only 9 pts difference and lucic plays tougher

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
If I were running the Oilers (I’m not), I wouldn’t add one red cent to Lucic to get Eriksson. They both suck out loud, and Eriksson is older.

They’re equally likely to be terrible for either team. One year isn’t a huge difference.

Straight up, sure, why not? If you have to add anything, it makes a lot less sense.

Eriksson has one less year though, easier to move in a subsequent deal.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Have mention this trade for 6 month now! Nucks fans have want to get rid of Loui for a couple of years now! Lucic is really a good fit for the nucks(when they also get rid of loui), they need one with some respect out there to protect their young talent. The Nucks team doesnt going anywhere for a long time so the extra year arent hurting them.

Oilers expected top six duty from Lucic but he arent that player anymore but he will be a useful bottom six for the Nucks + the leadership and protection he give for a young team with no toughness.

It will be a player vs player trade, Oiler with Chia gone will not throw any assets to trade Lucic for a similar contract, perhaps they take a chance on Loui, that he can hold him self in a top 6 position and a change of scenery!

Its more a win trade for the Nucks to get Lucic because you get other aspect then points out of him, for Oilers its a bit of a gambling with Loui, it doesnt hurt us losing Lucic either because we have toughness enough in the team. Kass, Nurse etc.

Could be a win win trade, anyway no one losing anything either!

serp

Jan 17, 2016
If I were running the Oilers (I’m not), I wouldn’t add one red cent to Lucic to get Eriksson. They both suck out loud, and Eriksson is older.

They’re equally likely to be terrible for either team. One year isn’t a huge difference.

Straight up, sure, why not? If you have to add anything, it makes a lot less sense.

Eriksson only had a NMC his first two seasons while Lucic has it for the full duration of the contract or at the very least until after the expansion draft. So yes Oilers would have to pay the Canucks to take that contract for Eriksson.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Erickson is as bad as lucic and contract is as bad. Milan is younget

NMC vs No NMC is a big deal. And no if Lucic waives it to go to the Canucks it wouldn't automatically be gone forever. Lucic would have to agree to that too.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
It would be a dream to sit in the Canucks press box with their overpaid bums and AHL journeymen.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
NMC vs No NMC is a big deal. And no if Lucic waives it to go to the Canucks it wouldn't automatically be gone forever. Lucic would have to agree to that too.

Not sure who's comment you are reading. But Erickson and Lucic have both equally bad. Not sure why you are talking about NMC as Erickson contract is a built in NMC

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Except Lucic needs to be protected in the expansion draft, Loui does not.

They aren't "equally worse".

Lucic can waive it in the expansion draft..regardless of Seattle takes him. Does not mean they will. So you are arguing from a week point of view there. He wants Vancouver and Seattle is closer to Vancouver than edmonton

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Lucic can waive it in the expansion draft..regardless of Seattle takes him. Does not mean they will. So you are arguing from a week point of view there. He wants Vancouver and Seattle is closer to Vancouver than edmonton

Can waive it does not automatically equal WILL waive it.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia

Not really because its out of the teams control. If Lucic doesn't waive your stuck exposing a better player than him.

With the ED looming, I'd have to think that would end any interest in Lucic from any team. Unless they are trading back a contract with the same problem.

Feb 19, 2018
Have mention this trade for 6 month now! Nucks fans have want to get rid of Loui for a couple of years now! Lucic is really a good fit for the nucks(when they also get rid of loui), they need one with some respect out there to protect their young talent. The Nucks team doesnt going anywhere for a long time so the extra year arent hurting them.

Oilers expected top six duty from Lucic but he arent that player anymore but he will be a useful bottom six for the Nucks + the leadership and protection he give for a young team with no toughness.

It will be a player vs player trade, Oiler with Chia gone will not throw any assets to trade Lucic for a similar contract, perhaps they take a chance on Loui, that he can hold him self in a top 6 position and a change of scenery!

Its more a win trade for the Nucks to get Lucic because you get other aspect then points out of him, for Oilers its a bit of a gambling with Loui, it doesnt hurt us losing Lucic either because we have toughness enough in the team. Kass, Nurse etc.

Could be a win win trade, anyway no one losing anything either!

There will 100% be an add to Lucic. You’re setting yourself up for disappointment if you think otherwise.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
There you have it folks. Oiler fans still happy w. Lucic and dont want to get rid of him even for just an extra 2nd rnd pick. They'd rather just keep the 2nd round pick and put their trust on their very successful scouts and player development team.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad