Sportsnet: "It's something that can potentially happen in the future " Milan Lucic on playing for Canucks

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Really odd interview. Lucic was asked if he still dreams of playing for Canucks.

I for sure thought he would say something like my focus is with the Oilers etc etc etc...

Instead he drops these nuggets

- it's something that can potentially happen in the future

- it hasn't gone well in Edmonton

- whatever happened since 2011 between Vancouver and I , it's all water under the bridge

- He then goes into detail about the Canucks team and talks about Benning and coach Travis Green and how he loves their young core and prospects

- says he has always dreamt of playing for Canucks

Maybe he knows something and that the Canucks andOilers are in discussion.

What would your proposal be to bring Milan home.

Obviously this is one of if not the WORST contract in the NHL so if Milan is going to Vancouver then Eriksson is going to EDM imo.

Eriksson is the way better player and has 1 year less that Lucic in his term for his contract so Edmonton would have to add.

Eriksson is still very good defensively and can do well in a proper situation. He scored 2 goals and 1 assist today for Tean Sweden vs Russia.

To Van
Lucic
2nd rnd pick 2019

To Edm
Loui Eriksson

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
There were small tidbits during the season that Lucic could potentially be traded. Obviously never came to pass.

Would be interesting if it was the Canucks that were the ones interested.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Ericsson's deal ends a year sooner + has a NTC from here on out.

Lucic has a full NMC for 2 more years.

Edmonton needs to add something significant.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Yes please

Lucic + 2nd + Bear for Sutter

I dont see a scenario of Lucic and Eriksson being on the same team with their contracts.

Unless Edmonton wants to do something crazy like attach their 1st rnd pick with Lucic.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
There were small tidbits during the season that Lucic could potentially be traded. Obviously never came to pass.

Definitely could see them interested as of Benning and Lucic have a relationship from Bostin days.

I could also see then targeting Lucic to provide a safer environment for Pettersson and Hughes.

However , It would have to be Eriksson going the other way

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
After Ericsson's next bonus he's owed a lot less then his cap hit. I think closer to half his salary for real dollars. Not sure how Lucic deal is structured but Eriksson can be moved to cap floor team alot easier then taking on Lucic deal. Want no part of Lucic no thanks.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Is 1 less year on Eriksson's contract worth a 2nd rounder?

Yes because his contract is more than halfway paid out.

It would be much much cheaper to buy out Eriksson.

He could also still play and contribute to Oilers in PK and PP2. Fantastic around the net. Lucic is just a warm body at this point.

The question is...

Is the 2nd rnd pick worth it for the Canucks to be straddled w Lucics contract and have him take up a roster spot for 8 min a night

yababy

Jun 26, 2015

I think the Canucks could use a Lucic for Pettersson.
Wasn't Petey run a little roughshod because there's no protection?

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
I think the Canucks could use a Lucic for Pettersson.
Wasn't Petey run a little roughshod because there's no protection?

Could be. I think Lucic lost his passion to even play a big game in Edmonton. Change of scenery could boost it so he could just go back to enforcing in some sense.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
1 year less, doesn't have to be protected in the expansion draft since he doesn't have a NMC, and in total owed $13 million for the remainder of his deal compared to Lucic's $19 million. Canucks would be idiots if they accepted just a 2nd round pick.
If Lucic waiveshis NMC for VAN then he wont have to be protected either.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Could be. I think Lucic lost his passion to even play a big game in Edmonton. Change of scenery could boost it so he could just go back to enforcing in some sense.
No team is going to trade for Lucic and expect him to be anything more than a 4th liner at best. Which means he has arguably the worst contract in the NHL

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Think about it Nucks fans. With Lucic you guys have a shot at LaFreniere/Raymond

Avs44

May 16, 2011
If Lucic waiveshis NMC for VAN then he wont have to be protected either.

That's a common misconception that is not quite true. There is only one scenario in which a NMC or NTC guaranteed inherently can disappear when a player is traded, and that is if they are traded before their clause becomes active. For instance, when Subban was traded by Montreal his NTC was not set to kick in on his new contract until July 1st. Nashville thus had the option of unilaterally not honouring the NTC for the remainder of the contract (and they chose not to), voiding its existence.

However, Lucic's NMC is very much active right now. Which means the only way that NMC disappears is if he additionally explicitly agrees to get rid of it. The Canucks can say that Lucic has to agree to also get rid of the NMC from the remainder of the contract before they trade for him, and they can refuse to sign an agreement that they, the Canucks, will recognize the NMC, but if the Canucks don't agree to maintain the NMC in the contract Lucic has the right to simply refuse to be traded at that point. Basically, Lucic gets final say on if his NMC disappears or not, on top of choosing where he can be traded. Capfriendly mentions it here here. But his clause doesn't just inherently disappear if he's traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad