Sportsnet: "It's something that can potentially happen in the future " Milan Lucic on playing for Canucks

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
What? Lucic’s is a year longer and has a full NMC for the duration of the contract.

The fact that he’s younger doesn’t mean he is better.

Again you want us to take the worse player on a clearly worse contract just for funsies? What in the world is the incentive for Van here?

Sorry. You homer glasses are cutting of circulation to your brain.

Erickson is not better than Lucic. They are both in bad contracts and Erickson being 3 years older hurts his value.

No sane team would trade for either. Erickson contract is as bad as Lucic.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
The Oilers aren't getting rid of Lucic and his full NMC without adding something significant along with him... especially with another expansion draft on the horizon. Oiler fans can try and down play it all they want but that's just the reality of it. His NMC makes him all but Untrade-able given the expansion situation.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Lucic is well aware he hasn’t been good at all. And I think he knows his time remaining is short in edm. Question is can the new gm in edm (whoever they hire) unload his contract? Doesn’t seem possible

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019
Unless some GM has gone insane, I'm pretty sure none of them would consider taking Lucic unless he agrees to waive his NMC, because his NMC would use up one of the few protected expansion draft spots they are allowed.

Now, assuming Lucic waives his NMC - he is a very, very limited player. He doesn't skate particularly well, certainly not fast enough to keep up with most NHL skaters. He had a season pace of 6.2 goals over 82 games. He was on pace for almost 21 points over 82 games. 1/3 of his goals and close to 1/3 of his points came on the power play.

Eriksson is merely a complimentary player at this point. He has never been physical, he has gotten by on his skating and IQ. Those are the kinds of skaters that can usually contribute late into their careers. He's retained most of his skating ability, and is still a smart defensive forward. That's basically his role at this point. He is certainly not worth 6 million per. Maybe 2 million. But he is a useful player in limited role.

He isn't comparable at this point to Lucic. One of these guys is used to kill penalties. The other had 0 minutes of PK time for the entire season.

Now, add in the fact that Lucic has 4 years left on his contract at 6 million. That's a lot more than 3 years. It's a whole year longer. It's a less serviceable player on a worse contract. So even if Lucic waives his NMC it will still be difficult to trade him, even taking back an awful contract like Eriksson.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

Erickson is not better than Lucic. They are both in bad contracts and Erickson being 3 years older hurts his value.

Except it's a year shorter.

And his NMC has already expired and NTC is way reduced next year.

And his buy out is super, super low for his cap hit after July first.

The player you can argue one being better, I guess, that's subjective. The contract? No way.

serp

Jan 17, 2016

No sane team aquires either player for the player ittself . So age doesn't matter there if you don't care about the player. Why does it matter how old the dead weight is ? It doesn't . Lucic contract is much worse though so yes Oilers would have to pay to trade their dead weight for other teams because Lucic is one of the worst thanks to the NMC

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver

No it really isn’t. One is a year longer and had a full NMC for the duration and the player needs to be protected for the next expansion draft.

Just stop, you’re embarrassing yourself at this point.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I can assume you that we dont give up any assets to take on Loui Eriksson and his equal bad contract!

McD likes Lucic and Luc prevent other teams to face wash him every shift! that happened with Hall, Rnh and Ebs before!
So i rather keep him or retain a bit , every team has at least one bad contract. The cap going up in a hurry and the prospect pool are decent.

I wouldnt give up our future for a short boost, its like take a dump in the pants, its warm and cousy for a moment!

Please tell me you understand that it would save Katz literally millions of dollars if he traded for Eriksson and bought out his front loaded already almost paid for contract compared to Lucic's.

It may not sound appealing to you, but to a businessman like Katz, saving millions of dollars can very well be worth a mesely 2nd rnd pick.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Canucks fans trying to say Erickson contract is not as bad as Lucic is funny.

He only got 9 more pts than Lucic. He is 3 years older and his wheels have fallen off. He is just like Lucic. Too slow for the current game

If he went on waivers no one picks him up

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017

He only got 9 more pts than Lucic. He is 3 years older and his wheels have fallen off. He is just like Lucic. Too slow for the current game

Go to bed Bob Nicholson

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017

You're right. Our apologies. Just keep Lucic

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Lucic (1.5 million retained) + the 8th pick for Eriksson + the 10th pick. Now that would be an interesting deal.

Nah. Canucks can get as good of a player/ prospect at 10th.

I don't think the dropoff is until the 12-13th pick.

However if someone like Byram was available at 8th then I'd go for it and swallow Lucics extra year

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World

Stunning news

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia

are you just ignoring the fact that one needs to take up an expansion draft slot and has one more year

no one gives a f*** about the caliber of players either of these guys are (though i'd still say eriksson is a better player) and it's not really a point of discussion. eriksson could literally have 0 points in 82 games with the worst shot differentials in the league and i still wouldn't trade him for lucic.

Last edited:

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
are you just ignoring the fact that one needs to take up an expansion draft slot and has one more year

no one gives a **** about the caliber of players either of these guys are and it's not really a point of discussion. eriksson could literally have 0 points in 82 games with the worst shot differentials in the league and i still wouldn't trade him for lucic.

Canucks fans are arguing a point that has been agreed is moot. Lucic can waive his nmc Nd not take up a spot. He wont be taken but there is very little evidence if asked he wont waive.

So banging on about his NMC is sort of like pissing into the wind.. sort of silly.

On nearly every bad contract list a certain oiler player and a certain. Canuck player always appear.

You guys are just arguing which girl is uglier. The are both butt ugky

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Only way Canucks picks up Lucic is if gives up his NMC, otherwise they will be dumb as fuuuuu (Benning so who knows)

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Canucks fans are arguing a point that has been agreed is moot. Lucic can waive his nmc Nd not take up a spot. He wont be taken but there is very little evidence if asked he wont waive.

So banging on about his NMC is sort of like pissing into the wind.. sort of silly.

On nearly every bad contract list a certain oiler player and a certain. Canuck player always appear.

You guys are just arguing which girl is uglier. The are both butt ugky

I'd like this if I could. Agreed 100%. Both are ugly and bad.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Dreger doesn't think Travis Green wants Lucic because of the speed of the game, since Lucic is a slug. I would tend to believe this since Green is a smart coach and is trying to coach a faster game and team, which the slug doesn't fit. I don't think there's much to this story. More wishful thinking from Oiler fans

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Dreger doesn't think Travis Green wants Lucic because of the speed of the game, since Lucic is a slug. I would tend to believe this since Green is a smart coach and is trying to coach a faster game and team, which the slug doesn't fit. I don't think there's much to this story. More wishful thinking from Oiler fans

Yeah,Green would scratch Lucic after one game.Guy looks like a giant turd floating around aimlessly until he’s flushed off the ice.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site

Both contracts are horrid! Both would entail a good sweetener to remove them from roster. Don’t think anyone can argue that... They have literally fallen of the map and are more of a burden then useful now.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
If the Oilers trade the 8th plus Lucic for Sutter. I would be happy. Sutter could still be a 3 c. Kinda..
From a Canucks POV I'd actually do that. Move back from 10 to get an additional 2nd rounder. Come out of the draft:
8OV: Boldy
10OV-trade back: Broberg, Soderstrom, Heinola
2nd round: 2 of: Thomson/Kroczak & Terry/Legare

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad