_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Southeast

ba-dum-tss.jpg

digger18

Feb 23, 2009
Williams Lake B.C.
Henrik was our best player last year in the playoffs.

When the team was down 2-0 in game 3 who stepped up and created the goal to get the team back in it? Unfortunately Schneider picked a bad time to have his worst game of the season.

The support players on this team have done absolutely nothing in the last 3 years. Even if the Sedins were scoring a goal a game it wouldn't be enough to get out of the 1st round.

The problem with this team continues to be it's overly emotional 'leader' Kevin Bieksa. When he's your leader and the only example he sets is a complete lack of composure and discipline and continues to take stupid penalty after stupid penalty, you're in trouble. Sure doesn't help either when he plays the most minutes on defense and been on the ice for every single 5 on 5 goal of the series either.

Bieksa needs to go. He's essentially Shane O'Brien with a bit more offense and a little less off ice fun.

I agree on Bieksa...However,

During the Canuck's last 3 seasons of playoff hockey Henrik Sedin is -12....and Daniel Sedin is -11.

Those numbers say it all....They are more of a threat to be scored on during playoff hockey, than they are to score. Why???? because they are unwilling to pay a physical price to get the job done offensively, and they are a complete liability defensively! Its pretty tough to back check, or get to the front of the net when they are constantly being knocked over, and then stuck behind the play getting up off their behinds along the half wall, (the perimeter, where they refuse to leave)
We need leaders who are going to do whatever it takes to fight through checks, and actually have the balls to carry the puck into the slot (dirty areas).

Alflives*

I agree on Bieksa...However,

During the Canuck's last 3 seasons of playoff hockey Henrik Sedin is -12....and Daniel Sedin is -11.

Those numbers say it all....They are more of a threat to be scored on during playoff hockey, than they are to score. Why???? because they are unwilling to pay a physical price to get the job done offensively, and they are a complete liability defensively! Its pretty tough to back check, or get to the front of the net when they are constantly being knocked over, and then stuck behind the play getting up off their behinds along the half wall, (the perimeter, where they refuse to leave)
We need leaders who are going to do whatever it takes to fight through checks, and actually have the balls to carry the puck into the slot (dirty areas).

Nope. It's not that they are unwilling; it's they are not able to. Their physical skills limit them from playing that type of game. The Canucks top minute players (excepting Kesler) are all limited by their physical size (shape) to be perimiter players. It was highly successful, when there were so many power plays, but no more.

digger18

Feb 23, 2009
Williams Lake B.C.
Nope. It's not that they are unwilling; it's they are not able to. Their physical skills limit them from playing that type of game. The Canucks top minute players (excepting Kesler) are all limited by their physical size (shape) to be perimiter players. It was highly successful, when there were so many power plays, but no more.

Can you explain to me why the Sedins get a physical Mulligan, yet a 5'8" Brendan Gallagher can play like a warrior shift in, and shift out? he plays with no fear and that sees him deep in the opposing goalies lap a dozen times per game. He battles through the checks of players twice his size to get there!

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Can you explain to me why the Sedins get a physical Mulligan, yet a 5'8" Brendan Gallagher can play like a warrior shift in, and shift out? he plays with no fear and that sees him deep in the opposing goalies lap a dozen times per game. He battles through the checks of players twice his size to get there!

It's cause he's a (Vancouver) Giant!

Alflives*

Yes, I like him too -excellent player. The Sedins are SLOW and slight. Gallagher is shorter (yes) but stocky and fast (quick too). He is able to get knocked down and still cover (most of the time) his defensive responsibilities. The Sedins, if involved physically will get knocked over or off stride, and get trapped. It's a function of their physical limitations, not desire to compete. That being said, I am a fan of Henrick, but not so much his brother - especially at 6mil.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Yes, I like him too -excellent player. The Sedins are SLOW and slight. Gallagher is shorter (yes) but stocky and fast (quick too). He is able to get knocked down and still cover (most of the time) his defensive responsibilities. The Sedins, if involved physically will get knocked over or off stride, and get trapped. It's a function of their physical limitations, not desire to compete. That being said, I am a fan of Henrick, but not so much his brother - especially at 6mil.

No, they really aren't. They are much more solid that many members of our team, including guys like Hamhuis and Garrison. Check it out next team you see with them their t-shirts on.

They are very underrated in the strength department.

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
No, they really aren't. They are much more solid that many members of our team, including guys like Hamhuis and Garrison. Check it out next team you see with them their t-shirts on.

They are very underrated in the strength department.

Agree with this statement, they may have solid upper bodies unfortunately they aren't the strongest on there skates and are knocked off the puck quite frequently.

nekyvGkOPaiWICTscLl6

Jul 14, 2009
Sudbury
Garrison is one of the strongest d-men we have downlow, not sure what you're talking about.

Not that this is indicative of anything, but have you seen the dude's calfs? They're ridiculous.

solitary

Mar 30, 2009

Look at what $6,100,000 gets you around this league nowadays. The Sedins are on great contracts.

Also it is spelled Henrik, not sure how some people that are willing to share their opinions are unable to spell the players name :shakehead

LolClarkson*

Agreed. We seem to have a few youngsters on cheap contracts (Tanev, Corrado) that would be perfect to pair with a guy that can play 30+ plus minutes a night. Keep Garrison/Hamhuis, and probably trade Edler and Ballard.

We also lack a truly defensive defenseman. Someone who plays hard, physical defense but doesnt have to put up points. I was hoping for Greg Zanon when was a FA, but the Avs picked up him for pennies.

Gillis doesn't like defensive D men. He basically said it one night on after hours in 2011.

If you can get hybrids, why not go for them ? If Garrison could hit the net, he would truly be a hybrid D man.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
I would not be surprised at all if the Sedins bounce back next year provided the team makes some smart changes.

Our depth was not as good as we thought it was this year. I think a lot of it stems from having our most poorly put together blue line in a long time. There was a severe lack of chemistry on defense this year. There was never any semblance of a solid 1 through 6 unit. It felt like it was being held together with a band-aid.

Mike Gillis' built an amazing team three years ago but the number of players playing out of their preferred position, Keith Ballard sitting in the press box, are all leaving me scratching my head. At times I also wonder if Gillis and AV are on the same page.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I would not be surprised at all if the Sedins bounce back next year provided the team makes some smart changes.

Our depth was not as good as we thought it was this year. I think a lot of it stems from having our most poorly put together blue line in a long time. There was a severe lack of chemistry on defense this year. There was never any semblance of a solid 1 through 6 unit. It felt like it was being held together with a band-aid.

Mike Gillis' built an amazing team three years ago but the number of players playing out of their preferred position, Keith Ballard sitting in the press box, are all leaving me scratching my head. At times I also wonder if Gillis and AV are on the same page.

I agree. I don't think Gillis and AV are on the same page anymore. AV is not coaching the type of hockey Gillis subscribes to. That's why I think AV is gone regardless of this series outcome.

The twins are fine, they're struggling because our offensive depth has been streaky at best and non-existent at worst. When you rely on one line to produce all the offensive fire power, well, it's a poor plan either way.

I can't think of a stretch of even 5 games where our D pairings were all the same. That's just setting yourself up for failure right away. I'm glad Garrison and Hammer look great together but HamJuice should have been given more than 4-5 games to meld again which would have allowed Garrison to play elsewhere.

solitary

Mar 30, 2009

The bottom six could see major improvements.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
I agree. I don't think Gillis and AV are on the same page anymore. AV is not coaching the type of hockey Gillis subscribes to. That's why I think AV is gone regardless of this series outcome.

The twins are fine, they're struggling because our offensive depth has been streaky at best and non-existent at worst. When you rely on one line to produce all the offensive fire power, well, it's a poor plan either way.

I can't think of a stretch of even 5 games where our D pairings were all the same. That's just setting yourself up for failure right away. I'm glad Garrison and Hammer look great together but HamJuice should have been given more than 4-5 games to meld again which would have allowed Garrison to play elsewhere.
That is not a valid excuse for their complete disappearance all series.

If they don't get it done tonight then I would love for AVs last act as coach to be benching them for the 3rd.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
The bottom six could see major improvements.

Mostly at center, which is what people have been saying for months.

Roy was a good move, to try and get some skill, didn't work.

Big part of the problem is the Canucks can't seem to develop bottom 6 players. They have Hansen and that's about it.

Malholtra was a pretty awesome 4th line center. But you know what would have been better, a guy the Canucks drafted who was playing for half Malholtra's salary. Probably not as effective, but if you get a solid guy in there it is good enough.

Instead they have a bunch of lousy signings and waiver rejects.

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver

Most of the fans knew that we weren't.. .but we thought there'd be a Chris Higgins/Lappiere type trade on the way. Gillis has 2 strikes, one more failed summer and he's gone.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
didn't at one point gillis wanted an uptempo style play which he did give a.v aquiring erhoff+others and the 2011 team was an offensive juggarnanut? sedins had a career high in pts. might as well can them both. gillis hasnt made a bold move as of late.

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
Most of the fans knew that we weren't.. .but we thought there'd be a Chris Higgins/Lappiere type trade on the way. Gillis has 2 strikes, one more failed summer and he's gone.

First off, given the chance to make one of those trades over the other without hindsight, the vast majority of this board would do the Roy trade and be ecstatic in the process.

Secondly, Higgins and Lapierre are still on this team. In addition to Hansen, they augmented a bottom six that regularly featured Oreskovich, Tambellini and Glass. I think the depth of the '10-'11 team is beginning to be bathed in the golden light of time passed. Isn't it possible that that team was implementing a system that has since seen it's efficacy eroded under league-wide scrutiny?

hockeywoot

Oct 29, 2010
China
First off, given the chance to make one of those trades over the other without hindsight, the vast majority of this board would do the Roy trade and be ecstatic in the process.

Secondly, Higgins and Lapierre are still on this team. In addition to Hansen, they augmented a bottom six that regularly featured Oreskovich, Tambellini and Glass. I think the depth of the '10-'11 team is beginning to be bathed in the golden light of time passed. Isn't it possible that that team was implementing a system that has since seen it's efficacy eroded under league-wide scrutiny?

This.

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
I wish we still had Torres. We need someone to piss of the other team. The nucks look like sissys out there.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Feb 5, 2006
Calgary
First change that needs to be made is the coach. Gillis needs to consult with the new coach (hoping for Boucher here) before he starts making trades and signings.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Coaching change needs to happen, 100% no question. But second thing is this team needs to sort out its Jekyll & Hyde identity. What type of team are we? Are we a puck possession and cycle based team built around the Sedins? Are we a fast and gritty forecheck team built around Kesler? Are we a defensively stifling, sit back and counter team built around hyper-structured systems? Problem I find is this team doesn't know what its identity is and so lurches from one style of play to another and players are brought in that don't really complement one style or another. Perhaps this will be addressed by the new coach - I certainly hope it will be - and then the coach and Gillis need to get on the same page 100%. No more Keith Ballard situations - "Hey AV here's a top for Dman for you." "No thanks MG, I don't like him". Pick a direction and then systematically work towards it. No more dysfunction ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad