It's Re-Tooling Time

BC Ben

Mar 26, 2010
True North
1) Buy out Ballard and Booth
2) Let the door hit Raymond on the way out
3) Trade Luongo for whatever we can get and let Schneider run with the #1 duties without having to worry about someone behind him or the circus that surrounds that situation
4) Replace AV... Replace the PP coach (his entries are brutal)
5) Promote Corrado to the big club full time (I love that the Nucks emerged with a pair of solid, if non-flashy kids on the back end... see Tanev)
6) See what Jensen can bring on the bottom six
7) Find another Malhotra - if we continue to play a puck possession game, we NEED possession at the faceoff. Gawd, was that ugly watching this team fail so miserably at the dot and start every play chasing.
8) Give the STH some relief on pricing!!!

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
1) Buy out Ballard and Booth
2) Let the door hit Raymond on the way out
3) Trade Luongo for whatever we can get and let Schneider run with the #1 duties without having to worry about someone behind him or the circus that surrounds that situation
4) Replace AV... Replace the PP coach (his entries are brutal)
5) Promote Corrado to the big club full time (I love that the Nucks emerged with a pair of solid, if non-flashy kids on the back end... see Tanev)
6) See what Jensen can bring on the bottom six
7) Find another Malhotra - if we continue to play a puck possession game, we NEED possession at the faceoff. Gawd, was that ugly watching this team fail so miserably at the dot and start every play chasing.
8) Give the STH some relief on pricing!!!

This changes nothing. Essentially we'll be a fringe playoff team next year with divisional re-alignment. I don't see this team finishing better than LA, Anaheim or San Jose in the division. We might qualify as a wildcard team because Division B appears fairly weak, but it certainly isn't a gimme anymore.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
I don't think the 4-0 sweep was an indicator of how close this series was. Could've been 2-2 heading back home.

Game 2 - Hansen hits the empty net
Game 4 - Better PK

This is the perfect off-season to shed some players who weren't contributing. Bye Raymond, Ballard, Roy, Luongo and possible Booth.

Gillis needs to go back to our puck possession/skill game. The "tough" Canucks are a bad team.
Add it a 3C who is great on the PK and faceoffs.
Add in bottom 6 depth that can PK and play C/W.
Add in a puck mover who can play with Edler.
Add in a coach who doesn't let the players run the room.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I don't think the 4-0 sweep was an indicator of how close this series was. Could've been 2-2 heading back home.

Game 2 - Hansen hits the empty net
Game 4 - Better PK

This is the perfect off-season to shed some players who weren't contributing. Bye Raymond, Ballard, Roy, Luongo and possible Booth.

Gillis needs to go back to our puck possession/skill game. The "tough" Canucks are a bad team.
Add it a 3C who is great on the PK and faceoffs.
Add in bottom 6 depth that can PK and play C/W.
Add in a puck mover who can play with Edler.
Add in a coach who doesn't let the players run the room.

So completely ignore our offense? :help:

I guess we need a FOURTH straight playoff exit due to poor offense.

abdew29

Aug 4, 2011
Toronto
How about?

To VAN
2013 2nd
2014 1st
2014 2nd
2014 3rd
Nikolai Kulemin
Mikael Grabovski
Matthew Finn
Stuart Percy
Tyler Biggs

To TOR
Ryan Kesler
Kevin Bieksa
2013 1st

Don't flame please, just trying to create conversation. ;)

BC Ben

Mar 26, 2010
True North
This changes nothing. Essentially we'll be a fringe playoff team next year with divisional re-alignment. I don't see this team finishing better than LA, Anaheim or San Jose in the division. We might qualify as a wildcard team because Division B appears fairly weak, but it certainly isn't a gimme anymore.

Sorry - forgot to add the obvious replacement of departing players with the money saved on Booth/Ballard/Luongo/Raymond, and the cash savings from pulling youngsters up (i.e., Tanev, Corrado, Jensen, Kassian).

Who exactly those replacements are, I don't know... In fact, knowing the FA pool the next couple of seasons doesn't give me much hope that we can find those top liners we need to improve our offense, but my list is the immediate start - all of which are completely doable and would set the framework to improvements.

CrazyJ

Apr 21, 2012
Vancouver
I would like to see all the coaching staff (except Melanson) gone. Team needs some new systems and a coach who will be more vocal and demand a greater level of accountability. Too much of the players managing themselves has been going on, it was working, but clearly isn't working now.

Lapierre, Raymond, Ballard, Ebbet, Weise, Sestito, Pinizotto, Malholtra, Roy, and Barker can all go. At least let 3/4's of them go, none of them have impressed me enough to think they can't be replaced with better options.

Big moves - Look to move Edler and Burrows (according to Cap Geek they would be the easiest to move), but only move them for QUALITY players. No picks and prospects, need to find teams that are interested in trading quality players for quality players.

Always hurts to think about moving players that we like and are good, but the core needs a shake up. Perhaps trading the Sedins go-to linemate will force them to change up their style a bit.

Kassian needs to be top 6 all year next year, he needs a true chance to suceed or fail. He wasn't brought in to be bottom 6 and needs to be given true opportunity.

Schroeder needs a permanent spot on the team, or trade him. His AHL development time should be over.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
So completely ignore our offense? :help:

I guess we need a FOURTH straight playoff exit due to poor offense.

I like you don't believe that Sedins (or our offense) will be the main catalyst to a cup.

I believe our best shot with this core is to play a puck possession game (with a heavy forecheck/neutral zone trap) and rely on Schneider.

We simply don't have to offensive weapons to outscore teams in the playoffs, with a decreasing cap we're not going to improve that aspect. I think we have the defensive players to grind out a championship.

heutZe

Sep 15, 2010
Norway
I do not think we need to blow this team up just because of a couple of bad playoff-appearances, but change is needed, there is no doubt about that.

The first thing we need is to get a new coaching staff with a new approach and fresh ideas on how to use our players. Preferably with an offensive philosophy. The past few seasons have thought me that the Canucks will most likely not win the cup at the end, so we might as well play entertaining hockey while we're at it?

The most important thing this new coaching staff will need to do is to instill DISCIPLINE. I don't care if people call the Canucks soft divers, just make the players stop losing their head and taking stupid penalties all the time. We have lost too many playoff series because of it.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Sorry - forgot to add the obvious replacement of departing players with the money saved on Booth/Ballard/Luongo/Raymond, and the cash savings from pulling youngsters up (i.e., Tanev, Corrado, Jensen, Kassian).

Who exactly those replacements are, I don't know... In fact, knowing the FA pool the next couple of seasons doesn't give me much hope that we can find those top liners we need to improve our offense, but my list is the immediate start - all of which are completely doable and would set the framework to improvements.

Rather than the UFA pool, these are some trades (abbreviated) from recent years that come to mind:

Goligoski for Neal
Wideman for Horton
Tyutin for Zherdev

These trades have varying degree's of success, but it's the best template for how we can add another legit offensive forward. UFA is to expensive and uncertain and buying on the cheap doesn't always work. We hit with Ehrhoff (I know he's a D but same thing), but missed with Booth. With the emergence of Tanev and Corrado we can afford to move one of our top 4.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Darren Pang was talking about this and it seems Bob Mac also mentioned the team appears like a mish mash of players.

MG seems more intent on scoring advanced stats steals than building a team that fits together.

Finally someone else sees this.

A team should be more than the sum of its parts - and when those parts don't fit together we see first round exits.

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
Finally someone else sees this.

A team should be more than the sum of its parts - and when those parts don't fit together we see first round exits.

I don't care what a players' corsi, fenwick or whathaveya is, if they play well together, they play well together. In the long run, that's what matters.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Here's my question...
WTF was the point of committing to Schneider over Luongo and bringing the drama it did only to change course and waste Schneider's prime yrs with a rebuilding team?

This team is clearly going to retool and rejig... not blow up anything. I'm expecting a minimal return for Luongo, a buyout, and then an aggressive attempts of a significant trade... like an Edler for good young forward (Kane-type player)...

It would make zero philosophical or practical sense to blow the team up... This team will compete for the division again next yr, and live and die again next year on the PP and goaltending. It's up to Gillis now to plug those deficiencies. Not enough skilled forward depth... we haven't had a significant 2nd PP unit since... what, Demitra Wellwood? heh heh

Hal 9000*

I don't care what a players' corsi, fenwick or whathaveya is, if they play well together, they play well together. In the long run, that's what matters.

People put too much stock in advanced stats, in fact, people put too much stck in basic stats too. We've seen it with this team since Mike Gillis brought in the "money puck" idea.

Apu

GotOutOfABinTime!
Mar 20, 2009
Poco
We all know this year's going to be a "deep" draft according to scouting reports. It will be interesting on what's coming in 2014 and 2015.

I am going to give it a year before deciding whether continuing to retool or tank, as the Sedins' contracts come off the books and their numbers retired for good (if the team suffers another early round exit in 2014).

Of course that is assuming Ballard and Booth's contracts are bought out and Luongo being traded.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
People put too much stock in advanced stats, in fact, people put too much stck in basic stats too. We've seen it with this team since Mike Gillis brought in the "money puck" idea.

I can't stand advanced stats. Don't care about them once soever. All you need to do is watch the games. Get a team that can play a certain style, with a good coach ala our 2011 Cup run. Forget advanced stats.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I wonder how the Sens would feel about Sedins for Zibanejad, Cowen and Cece/this years 1st, Sedins would waive to play with Alfredsson and Karlsson and this would give the Sens one hell of a team for a last cup run for Alfredsson, Sedins would re-sign there given their a big Swedish team. Canucks get a great young power forward center who is nhl ready and had a great rookie season and playing solid in the playoffs, we get younger, bigger and pieces coming up for the future. We could cash in on Edler and Schneider and this team has a now and a future. Sens could be the one team that could make this happen, their loaded with young talent, tons of it and they have the cap room and Sedins would love to play with Alfredsson, this could be something that works out best for us , Sedins and the Sens, Sedins there would put them as cup favs.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Problem is, most of those "savings" simply make us cap compliant next year. Doesn't free up a ton of money to spent on UFAs, not that there are really any that I'd want to spend a lot of cash on anyway ...

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011
I wonder how the Sens would feel about Sedins for Zibanejad, Cowen and Cece/this years 1st, Sedins would waive to play with Alfredsson and Karlsson and this would give the Sens one hell of a team for a last cup run for Alfredsson, Sedins would re-sign there given their a big Swedish team. Canucks get a great young power forward center who is nhl ready and had a great rookie season and playing solid in the playoffs, we get younger, bigger and pieces coming up for the future. We could cash in on Edler and Schneider and this team has a now and a future. Sens could be the one team that could make this happen, their loaded with young talent, tons of it and they have the cap room and Sedins would love to play with Alfredsson, this could be something that works out best for us , Sedins and the Sens, Sedins there would put them as cup favs.
Absolutely ridiculous, made me reply.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006

Yeah, it's been the most successful period in franchise history.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
I can't stand advanced stats. Don't care about them once soever. All you need to do is watch the games. Get a team that can play a certain style, with a good coach ala our 2011 Cup run. Forget advanced stats.

Maybe you should tell all the NHL teams that invest heavily in their use that they're wasting their time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad