Post-Game Talk: ITS OVER- Did we make a huge mistake on Pierre-Luc Dubois Thread?

“Would you rather that the Habs trade for Dubois or instead wait and try to sign him when he becomes

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
If he produces at only a 70pt pace I think the Kings will be a bit let down but won’t regret it if he also keeps bringing the physicality. But his reputation in terms of physical play and leadership is spotty, so it’ll have to be grown into.

Don’t discount how much happier he will be now that he’s left Manitoba.
He has never had more than 63 points in 7 seasons and he's extremely inconsistent. Great tools but he has a history of not responding well when things aren't going his way.

Don't discount how much happier he'll be? Hmmm... If he wasn't willing to physically engage in an elimination game with one year left before becoming UFA, it will be fun trying to motivate him with $68m over 8 years. He'll be happier until the first time he's held accountable by Todd McLellan.

I'm just glad all this drama is finally over with. A big contract was always his #1 priority. That's certainly his right but it's comical how so many here once again took the homecoming bait hook, line and sinker. It never fails.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I don't think I've posted in this thread until now. Would I have liked to add Dubois to the habs? Sure I would have but not at the asking price and the AAV he was seeking. He was not going to make or break this team. Good on HuGo for sticking to their guns.

The strangest thing in all of this was Chevel... wanting established NHLers. Nobody willingly wants to go play for the Jets. I foresee a mass exodus which has already been rumoured. So getting Vilardi, Iafallo and Kpari is going to make them a contender when they're gonna lose Hellebuck, Sheifele et al? I don't know but I just don't see it.

Anyhow, I'm so glad this is over and we didn't give up key assets for the petit gars de chez nous.
The Jets refusing to rebuild despite clearly needing to reminds me of Bergevin. Your top center and top goalie wants to leave and you want NHL players and not futures? Seems like a big miss. Cant see the Jets making these trades and being anything asides from a bubble team.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
yay-finally-yes-clapping-excited-6iugm2x5zoxupkzx.gif

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Reeks of Bergevin!!! LOL at the KIngs!
Brisson is very close with Luc Robitaille & Nelson Emerson… it’s not only MB

excerpt from The Athletic:

One truth the Canadiens were working with was that Dubois wanted to play in Montreal. But at some point in this process, I’m told, that changed. Playing in Montreal took a back seat to getting the contract Dubois wanted and going somewhere he perceived as being the shortest path to winning.

There were multiple complications for the Canadiens. And it is worth stressing that this is not a situation they asked for; this began when Dubois’ agent Pat Brisson said on live television a year ago that his client would like to play in Montreal. This should have been good news for the Canadiens, but what transpired since that time is that Dubois clearly realized he is not willing to play in Montreal at all costs. His contract was clearly more important.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Phil was a -1 that playoff run.......again, not taking anything away from him, he played the defensive role to a tee........against the big matchups.
A poster called him a #1 C during that run, and he had 1G and 3A meanwhile Suzuki had 16 pts in 22 games, so......................
Danault had the toughest match-ups. Like in the season he had a lot of Mcdavid-Draisatle match-ups and he did ok. Second center TO the player wasn't Tavares. That 3rd center not in the good chair wasn't made for 2nd center duty and yes Suziki took advantage.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
GREAT DEAL FOR THE JETS!

The guys they got are super gritty and come to play, lay it all on the line.

Pierre-Luc is a pretender.

Watch how long it takes for him to ask out of LA now... LOL

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
500k more AAV then I would have been comfortable with. And the pieces going back. Wow. No thanks.

I know size is at a premium, but you could argue that Vilardi alone is better than Dubois. This is an insane gamble by LA.

I’m reading a lot of comments by those blown away by the return.

I think it’s average, at best. Textbook quality over quantity in LA’s favour.

Vilardi - 2 years younger than Dach with similar production - not close to PLD. limited upside at this point. Imagine a less physical Dach in 2 years, without improvement.

Kupari - bust. I’m calling it.

Iafallo - 4M middle six player.

All 100% non-core, expendable, easily acquired type of players.

Footnote: I’m glad Montreal didn’t try to beat it. They don’t have the same types of expendable pieces. (Young, but losing patience)

Also, not saying i love the contract. Simply saying - I’m not impressed by what the Jets have acquired. LA just trimmed the fat.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Trashing PLD now is not cool. He had a good year, a strong year, and has upside for more.

Good luck to him. Shame he’s not a Hab but we didn’t have the pieces WPG wanted.

Guaranteed we would’ve celebrated that acquisition and contact should he have come here, so don’t even act otherwise.
It isn't cool now and it wasn't cool throughout this thread by mindless haters.

I'm disappointed we don't have Dubois on our roster and I'm not the least bit assuaged by the acquisition of Newhook instead.

It all has the feel -- especially in a reportedly deep draft -- of the Shaw acquisition, with CHI drafting DeBrincat with one of the 2nd round picks we gave up for Andrew.

I expect to see Newhook on the wing, most likely with Dach, but we will need a pure breed finisher on that line. I don't know who that can be?

With a line I'd like to see of Slafkovsky - Monahan - Anderson, that leaves two duos without a partner to complete their line; Caufield - Suzuki, Newhook - Dach.

Caufield - Newhook need a puck possession winger who can set up his line mates.

Newhook - Dach need a finisher who can play a little physical and, perhaps, boast some speed to keep.

It would be wrong to say we have high end players in the lineup, or high end players in the making, to complement both duos.

Maybe we select one in this year's draft and he eventually becomes that high end player we need and, maybe, one of the bunch already in the system pans out better than expected -- and beck eventually replaces Monahan?

In the meantime, Roy, from what we saw with him playing alongside Bedard, may represent that puck possession winger who can set up his line mates (and score goals, in his case) and, maybe, Heineman represents that finisher (NHL wrist shot) with some physicality and speed?

Caufield - Suzuki - Roy
Newhook - Dach - Heineman
Slafkovsky - Monahan - Anderson
RHP - Dvorak - Armia

Gallagher, Hoffman, Pezzetta

im so glad we dodged this.
L.A got worse with that trade
LA did not get worse at all. The Cap figure is a little high, though, but not insanely high.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Brisson is very close with Luc Robitaille & Nelson Emerson… it’s not only MB

excerpt from The Athletic:
Dubois just read fan support on this thread and figured it would be hell trying to be appreciated in this town. Enough reason to high tail it away from all the aggressively and the manic-depressive Montreal fan mentality.

WentWughes

Apr 16, 2023
I like PLD but I am glad Hughes did not give up something similar. Way too much assets and that contract is way too much. Acquiring Dubois for that load would be a huge step back.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Pierre is absolutely giddy w Newhook acquisition:

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Pierre is absolutely giddy w Newhook acquisition:

If Pierre likes it, then it's good enough for me.

Maybe Pierre knows something about Newhook that we don't, like the length of his stick..

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I'm happy we didn't pay that price to acquire him... too many character question marks to give up that much. An equivalent package from us + the 8 yrs/8.5M just isn't worth it for a player with a track record of emotionally checking out for stretches.

the idea of PLD was great, especially if he really was motivated to wear the jersey. He chose to sign long term in LA, good luck to him... good for the Jets too, nice to see them get a solid return for a player that quit on their city/franchise

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Dodged a bullet there. When the habs look for a marquee player to splash their cap space on, they should aim higher for cup purposes. The flexibility now remains to make a splurge when the time is right.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
I really like Dubois as a player and don't share the same criticism some others have for the way he's approached his departure from Winnipeg.

...But I'm really glad this is over. Good luck in LA and God Bless.

Same here. He did the Jets right by not pulling a Gaudreau.

As for the Habs rumors, better to fake interest and drive the price up. Vinny to Philly basically dismantled a perennial playoffs team and they are still suffering.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I don't think I've posted in this thread until now. Would I have liked to add Dubois to the habs? Sure I would have but not at the asking price and the AAV he was seeking. He was not going to make or break this team. Good on HuGo for sticking to their guns.

The strangest thing in all of this was Chevel... wanting established NHLers. Nobody willingly wants to go play for the Jets. I foresee a mass exodus which has already been rumoured. So getting Vilardi, Iafallo and Kpari is going to make them a contender when they're gonna lose Hellebuck, Sheifele et al? I don't know but I just don't see it.

Anyhow, I'm so glad this is over and we didn't give up key assets for the petit gars de chez nous.

Picture this, Vilardi is RFA next year. I wonder what he's gonna do. Ummm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad