It's Not Easy Being Green, Mike Green Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I saw Green make two phenomenal plays on one shift, one in the D zone, then in the O. He also made multiple nice defensive plays tonight. Way to put it together Greenie!

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
Yeah, having 6 above average D-men really shows in these tight games IMO. Playing defense is mostly about not doing stupid-ass things and leaking soft goals

Previous we have 3 or 4 decent d-men, and a few AHLers. That doesn't get you deep in the playoffs

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Relying on 3 question marks is logical!? It's like everyone already forgot what a young inexperienced 3rd pair did for us last year.

Sorry, not how you stay employed if you're a GM with Cup aspirations.

Who is the question mark there? Orlov could play long ago. He didn't because of cap, and the mess with it thanks to McPhee. Guy got some injury concerns but he's still the best bet to subst Orpik as top-4 LD then the latter is done. From the system, of course.

Orlov's injury concerns are there but I wouldn't say that it's worse than Green's or Orpik's.

Then get back to my comment. I said Carrick/Bowey are injury replacement for Orlov/otherD. Which is perfectly fine in regular season, in my opinion.

Other D (3LD) could be Schmidt. And then you can have Gleason-type at deadline, just as we did this year.

So the only difference between this year and my plan for the next is Green->out and Orlov->in. From the cap standpoint it's a good plan.

Just wait and see how Orlov becomes good defenseman under the wing of Orpik and Karl Langway.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Have to mention, if Trotz manages to contain the team like this season... we shouldn't have much problems to get another top-4 LD when Orpik is done. Via UFA.

Karl Alzner will be able to mentor rookies himself in 4 years, I guess.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I saw Green make two phenomenal plays on one shift, one in the D zone, then in the O. He also made multiple nice defensive plays tonight. Way to put it together Greenie!

He also should have drawn a penalty on Glass. He made a great pinch and was about to snag the puck and create a chance and Glass just took him down to no call.

Good penalty to take on the Hagelin chance. Its much better to allow your goalie time to get set and take a penalty shot than it is to let a guy walk in from the blue line suddenly.

Again he played some very strong D overall and showed some grit.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
For clarity. There is no salary cap in the post season. Orlov could be activated at any time and play if the Caps wanted him to. It costs them nothing. That they called up Schmidt when Gleason was questionable tells us that Orlov is not going to play. That may be because he hasn't played at all this season or because he is still not healthy enough.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Who is the question mark there? Orlov could play long ago. He didn't because of cap, and the mess with it thanks to McPhee. Guy got some injury concerns but he's still the best bet to subst Orpik as top-4 LD then the latter is done. From the system, of course.

Orlov's injury concerns are there but I wouldn't say that it's worse than Green's or Orpik's.

Then get back to my comment. I said Carrick/Bowey are injury replacement for Orlov/otherD. Which is perfectly fine in regular season, in my opinion.

Other D (3LD) could be Schmidt. And then you can have Gleason-type at deadline, just as we did this year.

So the only difference between this year and my plan for the next is Green->out and Orlov->in. From the cap standpoint it's a good plan.

Just wait and see how Orlov becomes good defenseman under the wing of Orpik and Karl Langway.

Miss a season due to injury and yes you're a question mark. Carrick and Bowey aren't ready IMO. Carrick maybe never in DC. I don't see a spot for him. Keep a vet like Gleason or get another and rotate Schmidt/vet/Orlov next year I'd be ok with. Assuming anything more is largely risky IMO.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
He got a couple of games in Hershey and then was restricted to practice only because of the cap.

I don't think he isn't healthy.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He got a couple of games in Hershey and then was restricted to practice only because of the cap.

I don't think he isn't healthy.

I don't conclude that him getting a couple of conditioning games in the AHL before the end of the season when the Caps clearly had no plan to use him short of an emergency signals he is healthy.

He may be healthy, but he may also just be in a position get any worse if he plays. The problem with him is that his injury has only returned 50-60% of standard.

Its hard to know for sure. Its pretty clear that the Caps prefer Schmidt to Orlov right now.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Was Tom Poti finished when Dr. txpd said he was?
Was John Erskine finished when Dr. txpd said he was?
Is Dmitri Orlov not coming back this year because Dr. txpd says he isn't?

Erskine played in the preseason after you summarily dismissed his chances of playing on NHL ice ever again. You can nuance your question as much as you want, but you were wrong again.

Why would the organization risk playing Orlov at "50-60% of standard", whatever that even means? If you think the organization prefers Schmidt at this point, that's fine. Anything else is your standard mumbo-jumbo regarding injuries.

I'll give you credit for not giving up though, no matter how many times you've been proven wrong in the past.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think its very likely they prefer Orlov but haven't had a chance to prove it to fans because he got injured as Trotz took over.

Sure they like Schmidt a lot but who do we think is consensus rated higher as a prospect?

Maybe some have forgotten how Orlov looked in his last 20 games in DC. I don't think BMac has.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Mod Note: Keep from getting too personal. Referencing previous posts and opinions is OK as long as it doesn't creep into attack territory.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Was Tom Poti finished when Dr. txpd said he was?
Was John Erskine finished when Dr. txpd said he was?
Is Dmitri Orlov not coming back this year because Dr. txpd says he isn't?

Erskine played in the preseason after you summarily dismissed his chances of playing on NHL ice ever again. You can nuance your question as much as you want, but you were wrong again.

Why would the organization risk playing Orlov at "50-60% of standard", whatever that even means? If you think the organization prefers Schmidt at this point, that's fine. Anything else is your standard mumbo-jumbo regarding injuries.

I'll give you credit for not giving up though, no matter how many times you've been proven wrong in the past.

You're using two guys out of the NHL due to injury as part of your supporting argument? Seems more like you have a personal issue.

Orlov is without a doubt a HUGE question mark until it's proven otherwise on NHL ice. I think he plays again no doubt, but I wouldn't bet my job or the franchise on it (IT being he's a lock to play in the 2nd or 3rd pair to replace Green capably next season) if I were GMBM.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think its very likely they prefer Orlov but haven't had a chance to prove it to fans because he got injured as Trotz took over.

Sure the like Schmidt a lot but who do we think is consensus rated higher as a prospect?

Maybe some have forgotten how Orlov looked in his last 20 games in DC. I don't think BMac has.

I have the two pretty darn close to even honestly at this stage. Slight edges could be given to both in certain categories.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I have the two pretty darn close to even honestly at this stage. Slight edges could be given to both in certain categories.

You are probably right but these 7/8 types often just drift away... Schultz... Schilling.... Shh

Orlov looked fantastic a year ago. Maybe he stopped listening to Oates, or took it upon himself to show us his tools with the puck, but I was really looking forward to him under Trotz. I still am more than ever looking at how aggressive he has our Dmen.

I am tentatively penciling him into our 3RD slot for next year, paired up with Gleeskine.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
The problem with him is that his injury has only returned 50-60% of standard.

I'm sorry but you know this how exactly? Where did you get that number from? There is definitely video of Orlov taking slapshots in practice from a few months ago that at least seem close to 100% to my eyes.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You are probably right but these 7/8 types often just drift away... Schultz... Schilling.... Shh

Orlov looked fantastic a year ago. Maybe he stopped listening to Oates, or took it upon himself to show us his tools with the puck, but I was really looking forward to him under Trotz. I still am more than ever looking at how aggressive he has our Dmen.

I am tentatively penciling him into our 3RD slot for next year, paired up with Gleeskine.

He looked good, but I'm not gushing over him as much to say FANTASTIC. I could certainly see the SchGleelov trio rotating the 3rd pair next year.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'm sorry but you know this how exactly? Where did you get that number from? There is definitely video of Orlov taking slapshots in practice from a few months ago that at least seem close to 100% to my eyes.

It's a swag of course, sort of like you saying he's close to 100% taking slappers. I doubt you had a radar gun with before and after speeds right? Tex needs to start building in disclaimer language, like "probably or I suspect".

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
He looked good, but I'm not gushing over him as much to say FANTASTIC. I could certainly see the SchGleelov trio rotating the 3rd pair next year.

Fantastic = Red Koolaid perhaps and it was a small sample size, but something clicked. A light switch was thrown. He had just been more a steady eddie here, no PP time, and yet we all know he had as many offensive skills as anyone not named Green.

He never got the green light to bring it. I remember him dangling around defenders, basically putting on puck possession clinics at times.

I cannot be the only one that was impressed. Cannot!

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
It's a swag of course, sort of like you saying he's close to 100% taking slappers. I doubt you had a radar gun with before and after speeds right? Tex needs to start building in disclaimer language, like "probably or I suspect".

I said seems because obviously I don't know and I'm not going to pretend to know for certain.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Fantastic = Red Koolaid perhaps and it was a small sample size, but something clicked. A light switch was thrown. He had just been more a steady eddie here, no PP time, and yet we all know he had as many offensive skills as anyone not named Green.

He never got the green light to bring it. I remember him dangling around defenders, basically putting on puck possession clinics at times.

I cannot be the only one that was impressed. Cannot!

It's hard not to fall in love with the big shot, the occasional snarl and stick handling. The repeated caught out of position issue keeps popping into my head when I think about his play last time around. I'm not sure under Trotz he'll get the green light to bring it.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I said seems because obviously I don't know and I'm not going to pretend to know for certain.

This is what annoys me about the Internet. People will take issue with how something is specifically stated rather than the point. In this case, I believe his point is, Orlov isn't ready.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I believe his point is, Orlov isn't ready.

Which is a fine point and very well may be true. But unless someone around here has some inside knowledge that they don't want to share with the rest of us it is still an opinion and IMO saying, 'his injury has only returned 50-60% of standard' is stating a fact not an opinion. That would lead me to think someone knows something and isn't just making an educated guess.

Realistically even if he is healthy since he hasn't played even an AHL game in quite a while I don't see how he is even an option unless they are down to the bare bones organizationally on defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad