It's Not Easy Being Green, Mike Green Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Definitely would not want the Caps paying $6M for a 3rd pairing Dman. If they can work it out where they can get him for a significant amount less then I think they should keep him.

The question is, would he take $4.5M?

He's not a third pairing dman. He may get third pairing ice time, but he's so much better than a 3rd pairing dman it's not even funny.

Having a guy like him on our 3rd pair is such a great thing to have, and honestly in my opinion, is one of the major reasons we're doing so well in the playoffs. Most other teams have your run of the mill 5D and 6D. We have a 6D and a guy in Green who is a top-4 dman in every sense of the word.

NYR has arguably the deepest D in the league and our d corps has played right with them. Replace Green with Orlov and I doubt you can say that... and I like Orlov.

Last edited:

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
He's not a third pairing dman. He may get third pairing ice time, but he's so much better than a 3rd pairing dman it's not even funny.

Having a guy like him on our 3rd pair is such a great thing to have, and honestly in my opinion, is one of the major reasons we're doing so well in the playoffs. Most other teams have your run of the mill 5D and 6D. We have a 6D and a guy in Green who is a top-4 dman in every sense of the word.

NYR has arguably the deepest D in the league and our d corps has played right with them. Replace Green with Orlov and I doubt you can say that... and I like Orlov.

Agreed. I love the depth and want to keep it. :)

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
anyone else remember how great orlov looked 11 months ago?

He certainly has potential to fill some of what Green provides. Sure the injuries are a factor but they have been for Green as well.

Orlov may be the only player that improved under hard headed O. He looked awesome at times especially with the puck.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012

He certainly has potential to fill some of what Green provides. Sure the injuries are a factor but they have been for Green as well.

Orlov may be the only player that improved under hard headed O. He looked awesome at times especially with the puck.

So replace Gleason with him. Done.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Might as well be 11 years ago at this point. Not even worth discussing until he proves he can play again in the NHL.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
having Green is a real advantage. Keep him you can. Caps have been so far ridiculously lucky that Orpik, Alzner, Carlson and Niskanen missed a total of 4 games.

one more reminder. Green had 45pts. 5th on the team and 4th in points per game during the RS.

its not outrageous that a top 5 team scorer makes a good check. for a defenseman to score top 5 on his team averaging under 20 mins is outragious

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
having Green is a real advantage. Keep him you can. Caps have been so far ridiculously lucky that Orpik, Alzner, Carlson and Niskanen missed a total of 4 games.

one more reminder. Green had 45pts. 5th on the team and 4th in points per game during the RS.

its not outrageous that a top 5 team scorer makes a good check. for a defenseman to score top 5 on his team averaging under 20 mins is outragious

1. Green's PP points are replaceable in the regular season.
2. Who cares about regular season.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Orlov is done. How long has he been injured ? He hasn't played a single game for us this year. I'm not even sure he can still play in the NHL.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
So replace Gleason with him. Done.

Did you save, over?

But Green appears to not want a partner like him. He wants protection. And dare I think he is right in requesting it.

So we retain Green, keep a Gleaskine, trade Orlov, keep Schmidt in Hershey for a few more years, and have all our offense on D be RH shots. Me? I think having a strong LH shot on D is a good idea.

When I see Green competing for the cup to traditional NHL standards, I will have no idea retaining him. Winning a cup takes blood sweat and tears. I am just not seeing the hitting, shot blocking, crease clearing that I see his teammates bringing. I see him unleashed in the offensive zone more and yeah is skating around a lot with the puck lately. Is he still getting the weakest of the opposition lines to skate against?

Expect every game going forward to be 2-1 and 1-0 with few PPs. I don't see him being a difference maker in those types of games. Expect those same games every playoffs going forward.

I keep him at 4.5M. I cannot let a soft opponent that doesnt hit him change my stance.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Orlov is done. How long has he been injured ? He hasn't played a single game for us this year. I'm not even sure he can still play in the NHL.

Pretty much everything heals at his age, unless it's so dire that we'd hear about it already.
At one time, Fehr's career seemed a lot more problematic.
I'd be (very) surprised if this remains a long term problem.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
That offense is really coming through this postseason.

He has been fantastic in the offensive zone. It's not his fault nobody but Ovi can finish their lunch.

Hell, he's even set up Ovi on the doorstep a couple times and even he couldn't finish it.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
He has been fantastic in the offensive zone. It's not his fault nobody but Ovi can finish their lunch.

Hell, he's even set up Ovi on the doorstep a couple times and even he couldn't finish it.

Yepp. When you have a guy doing a great job offensively when you already stink overall offensively - and he's also a guy who is part of a defense that is doing the best job in the NHL right now.... you keep that.

Lock up one of/if not the best D in the NHL and let the Kuzy's, Burro's, Vrana's, Wilsons, Latta's, etc all develop under Nicky B and Ovi. :yo:

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Have you noticed that last night on the caps second pp green played most of a power play for the first time in these playoffs? Yes. Carlson has 5 pts. 3 pp and 2 esg. You seem to be blaming Green for not scoring on the pp while he's not even on the ice. At even strenth Carlson has 2pts and Green 2 pts in a lot more ice time than what Green is getting.

Look at the total ice time. Carlson 25 shots. Green 23 shots.

Is this in support of your comment that Carlson has been "horrible" offensively? I havent seen any of the 2nd round games as im out of the country, only seeing highlights and that sort of thing.

I said before this series that the Caps would need 52 to generate offense and im happy it sounds like thats the case....thru 3 games

I hope it continues but like clockwork the pro-52 crowd see some good play for a few games and just assume he is a Norris guy again and that the large swings in his play we have seen for the better part of 5 years are over.

We have seen this before....he looks good...he looks bad....he looks good...he looks bad

I have little faith that if he is a teams top defenseman he can take the grind and still produce. I think the pro-52 crowd needs to brace themselves because he is gone after this season. I just dont see how they could keep him without moving one of the D that are ahead of him

I cant see him taking the kind of pay cut needed to stay in DC. Even if they move guys like 21/20 they arent spending 5+ mil on Green with two players ahead of him on the depth chart. Adding to that someone is going to pay him a lot of money and I dont see a 29/30 year old guy (with concussion/injury history) passing up a couple more million a year to play in DC

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Green's played well this post season. I think it's tough to argue he hasn't.

But again, it doesn't really matter. You still set your number at which you can bring him back. Post season solidity shouldn't change that short of a Conn Smythe caliber performance. Only a higher-than-expected cap ceiling should.

If you want to maintain a high-quality third pair, I'd go after Czech Roman Polak. Solid vet who can skate and plays with snarl. I think his game would fit very well with the Caps' system. Pair him with Orlov/Schmidt and you're in business.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Orlov as 3RD will be alright. He can move up the lineup if any top-4 D is injured. If he is injured himself it's a chance for Carrick and Bowey.

That's so logical.

Relying on 3 question marks is logical!? It's like everyone already forgot what a young inexperienced 3rd pair did for us last year.

Sorry, not how you stay employed if you're a GM with Cup aspirations.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

But again, it doesn't really matter. You still set your number at which you can bring him back. Post season solidity shouldn't change that short of a Conn Smythe caliber performance. Only a higher-than-expected cap ceiling should.

If you want to maintain a high-quality third pair, I'd go after Czech Roman Polak. Solid vet who can skate and plays with snarl. I think his game would fit very well with the Caps' system. Pair him with Orlov/Schmidt and you're in business.

This makes sense to me if/when Green goes. NO WAY do I turn the 3rd pair over to two inexperienced guys. I want at least one vet. If Gleason has anything left, even he with one of the young guys is more favorable IMO.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

if we can get rid of Laich and maybe Brouwer keeping Green is a lot easier.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
if we can get rid of Laich and maybe Brouwer keeping Green is a lot easier.

Only marginally, as you then need an additional two bodies in the forward ranks. Those two were the 3rd and 7th highest forwards in TOI/G on the Caps, so that's a top 6 forward and a third line forward, essentially. Kuz is getting a massive raise and Johansson a significant one. The idea is that moving on from high-salaried Green, coupled with some paring of the forward ranks, gives you the space you need.

Low demands and/or a higher cap ceiling makes retaining Green easier.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Only marginally, as you then need an additional two bodies in the forward ranks. Those two were the 3rd and 7th highest forwards in TOI/G on the Caps, so that's a top 6 forward and a third line forward, essentially. Kuz is getting a massive raise and Johansson a significant one. The idea is that moving on from high-salaried Green, coupled with some paring of the forward ranks, gives you the space you need.

Low demands and/or a higher cap ceiling makes retaining Green easier.

Brouwer getting 3rd highest TOI/G for forwards and now doing nothing in the playoffs - we could literally replace him next year with a cheaper option and get the same type of production.

BTW, good alternative to CapGeek I just found:

www.generalfanager.com

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Brouwer getting 3rd highest TOI/G for forwards and now doing nothing in the playoffs - we could literally replace him next year with a cheaper option and get the same type of production.

BTW, good alternative to CapGeek I just found:

www.generalfanager.com

Unfortunately that's not how it's likely to happen. Brouwer isn't producing but he's doing a lot of things the coaching staff likes, or he wouldn't be getting ice time. He plays "the right way" and is The Leader of Men. Some O and better puck possession would be nice no doubt, but plugging in any old minimum salary player isn't happening.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Okay, 9 of 11 games we've scored 2 or less goals and are up 3-1 in the second round.

It's time.. LOCK UP THE DEFENSE! GET ON BOARD EVERYONE!

I'm not even saying it is arguable anymore... this is the best defense in the NHL. This is a Stanley Cup caliber winning defense when it comes to getting it done on both ends of the ice.

So happy being a Caps fan right now! These are the games we used to ALWAYS lose.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad