Blue Jays Discussion: It's here! it's here! it's here! it's here! Baseball season begins!(WARNING:post 728)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Damn, watching Price pitching for the Red Sox right now really stings. I wish he was a Blue Jay. Oh well, hopefully another great season by our Blue Jays will take the sting away for good.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Price
Stroman
Dickey
Chavez
Floyd

Stroman
Estrada
Dickey
Happ
Sanchez

I'd take option 2 as of right now.

why?

and anyways:

Option P --- Option H

Price --------- Happ
Stroman --- Stroman
Dickey ------ Dickey
Sanchez --- Sanchez
Hutch ------- Estrada
Floyd -------- Floyd
xxxxxx ------ Chavez

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
That's a very misleading stat though, since if a pen arm blows the lead in the 6th it's a blown save but if they don't it's just a hold(assuming they don't pitch the final 3 innings as well). Also a team like ours who scores a lot of runs often lead by more and don't get a lot of saves. We went like what 2 months between saves at some point last year? We were 2nd last in saves last year with 34.

Looking at pen quality I would never use saves/blown saves/save %. Pretty much any other stat is better. Besides for wins/losses that is.

ERA we were 12th, FIP we were 15th, xFIP we were 4th. WAR we were 11th

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I hate the Red Sox; their fanbase, the ballpark, etc. I have a general distain for the city of Boston and the people who dwell in it. I also hate Dave Cameron...however...

I love Mookie Betts. He's tremendous. He's going to get more tremendousy (patent pending). He's 5"9 of baseball goodness. Fangraphs, Cameron particularly, love him. The fantasy community and baseball people love him. And for good reason..

Level: wOBA\wRC+
A: .414\160
A+: .433\166
AA: .441\177
MLB1 (230 PA): .361\129
MLB2: .351\119

However, however...

Player B:
A: .419\160
A+: .434\174
AA: .365\126
MLB1 (238 PA): .370\135

Player B is the apple of my eye. He too is 5"9 of baseball goodness. Player B is the same handedness, one year older than Betts, and plays a position of higher scarcity. Player B is also one of the most underrated players in terms of value in baseball.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
player B looks like Devon Travis. No AAA, mid 200 PA's, great numbers in that time, short, and a scarcer position.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
In all fairness Betts is an average-above average CF playing out of position because they have a super good defender there

That doesn't dampen the Travis excitement though. I do hope he can recover quick enough to assume the leadoff spot by the ASB.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I hate the Red Sox; their fanbase, the ballpark, etc. I have a general distain for the city of Boston and the people who dwell in it. I also hate Dave Cameron...however...

I love Mookie Betts. He's tremendous. He's going to get more tremendousy (patent pending). He's 5"9 of baseball goodness. Fangraphs, Cameron particularly, love him. The fantasy community and baseball people love him. And for good reason..

A: .414\160
A+: .433\166
AA: .441\177
MLB1 (230 PA): .361\129
MLB2: .351\119

However, however...

Player B:
A: .419\160
A+: .434\174
AA: .365\126
MLB1 (238 PA): .370\135

Player B is the apple of my eye. He too is 5"9 of baseball goodness. Player B is the same handedness, one year older than Betts, and plays a position of higher scarcity. Player B is also one of the most underrated players in terms of value in baseball.

But what does Keith Law think about them?

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Remember when people wanted to get rid of Cecil last year?

A couple years ago many wanted him gone as he looked like he may never be a major league pitcher again. Now he's one of the most dependable arms in the pen.

I know tying up money to a bullpen arm isn't seen as wise, but Cecil is one guy I'd like to see the Jays lock up on a multi-year deal.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
A couple years ago many wanted him gone as he looked like he may never be a major league pitcher again. Now he's one of the most dependable arms in the pen.

I know tying up money to a bullpen arm isn't seen as wise, but Cecil is one guy I'd like to see the Jays lock up on a multi-year deal.

I'd give him 3/18-21 and Storen 3/24-27 after this season (barring Janssen-esque injuries obviously). Cut Dickey's salary out, put Osuna and/or Hutch in the rotation and hopefully a guy like Stilson or someone else come out of nowhere to become a new 3rd arm in the pen.

Usually I don't like spending big on bullpens, but with the amount of youth we have in the rotation, we can afford a couple of shorter term guys with bigger contracts in the pen.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
When people stop saying the team is the exact same/better without Price I'll stop saying they're wrong.

In the regular season, I'll concede that we would be better with him in the rotation, but I think our added depth will still enable us to win the AL East.

In the playoffs, I don't believe we would necessarily be better with him. He was arguably our worst starter in the post season last year.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
In all fairness Betts is an average-above average CF playing out of position because they have a super good defender there

That doesn't dampen the Travis excitement though. I do hope he can recover quick enough to assume the leadoff spot by the ASB.

Mookie is a CF for sure. Also dabbles at 2B, if I recall correctly. Regardless, when I made the statement on scarcity, I still believe there are more well rounded CF than there are well rounded 2B. Though things have improved over the last couple years around baseball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad