Blue Jays Discussion: It's here! it's here! it's here! it's here! Baseball season begins!(WARNING:post 728)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Speaking of those games being played in Montreal isn't weird how MLB scheduled Toronto play Tampa in their home opener on April 3rd, knowing that Toronto will be playing those two games in Montreal on April 1st and 2nd. Maybe it won't be a big deal but when was the last time any MLB team finished their exhibition schedule and started the regular season the very next day.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Who's going to be the 5th starter?

Seems like it's down to Sanchez or Floyd. My money would be on Sanchez. If he falters it's easy enough to shift him into the pen for the rest of the season, but he deserves the chance to see if he can make the jump to starting.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I take it Sanchez is the favourite? Would still rather see him in the 'pen, personally.

I think it's come down to Sanchez vs Floyd. I'm guessing they'll roll with Floyd and start with Sanchez in the pen.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Who's going to be the 5th starter?

Dickey. I think that Sanchez makes the team, and is our second best starter behind Stroman. Dickey is the worst pitcher on our starting staff and I think he gets the Buerhle treatment in October (i.e. gets left off the playoff roster). Not that I think that Dickey is horrible. He is a decent #5.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Bought OOTP 17 today

Went to extend Jose and he wants 5/132. I approve of the realism.

(Sadly, Edwin wants 6/162)

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

lakeland, fla. — edwin encarnacion has not asked for a five-year deal.

So says paul kinzler, his agent.

“i don’t like to negotiate in the newspaper, but since it’s out there (via sportsnet) i’ll answer,†kinzler said from phoenix.

“we have never put a number on the terms of the length of the contract. We have never discussed a dollar amount.â€

the sportsnet report compares encarnacion to dh travis hafner, two “aging, bad-bodied, one-dimensional dh types.â€

“edwin is strong as an ox, he doesn’t have a bad body,†said kinzler.

Jays president mark shapiro must decide what to do as encarnacion is eligible for free agency at the end of the season. As general manager of the cleveland indians, he signed hafner to a four-year, $57 million us deal.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Bought OOTP 17 today

So basically Jose is asking $26 per year, I wouldn't mind paying that money if it's 4 years and Edwin is asking $27 per year for 6 year - really? (I would rather trade him now), Smoak and Colabelo are good enough to carry the offence

It's not really going to make a big difference, in between Smoak and Colabello they are quiet capable of producing 90 RBI and 30-35 home runs (I am being conservative)

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Bought OOTP 17 today

What's different from 16? I bought 16 on sale and for as much as I manage to find time to play it, I'm not sure it's worth a $40 outlay for whatever incremental improvements exist over last year.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
So basically Jose is asking $26 per year, I wouldn't mind paying that money if it's 4 years and Edwin is asking $27 per year for 6 year - really? (I would rather trade him now), Smoak and Colabelo are good enough to carry the offence

It's not really going to make a big difference, in between Smoak and Colabello they are quiet capable of producing 90 RBI and 30-35 home runs (I am being conservative)

Replacing Edwin with Smoak and/or Colabello is a huge downgrade. Huge.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
lol at EE agent trying to sell that his client doesn't have a bad body. This guy is hurt a lot. And looks out of shape every time I see him.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Blue Jays Reddit is of the opinion that Floyd is the 5th starter, while Sanchez goes to AAA to start and work on his not fastball pitches.

Sanchez's problem, as I understand it, is that he'll get behind on pitch count/give up hits or runners or runs, and thus turn to his heater while ditching his other pitches. In other words, until he gets his breaking ball and 3rd pitch (forget which one) down pat, he's essentially a one pitch pony. That one pitch is just stupid good. If he's a starter at this level,he won't improve his other pitches nearly as well if the pressure is on to win (rather than triple A, where the focus is "work on your changeup!" of whatever).

This is what I've read/gleaned from others, not through watching games or through stats...but has Sanchez's other pitches improved drastically? It's nice to reward a talented, hard working home grown guy, but is it worth having Sanchez as the 5th guy versus 3 months of focusing on increasing his repertoire?

Accoding to http://www.brooksbaseball.net/tabs....rtDate=03/30/2007&endDate=03/22/2016&s_type=2, Sanchez threw a fastball 80% of the time (62.5 sinker, 17.4 four seem l).

Last edited:

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
If Justin Smoak can put it together and hit some breaking balls... My god.

I've been a supporter of Smoak for quite some time. I am slightly biased when it comes to Smoak, but I do have a gut feeling that this is the year he puts it all together. He just needs everyday at bats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad