Blue Jays Discussion: It's here! it's here! it's here! it's here! Baseball season begins!(WARNING:post 728)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I see it one way.

Bautista clearly interfered with Forsythe.

However, reading the rule doesn't seem clear to me. It needs to be more black and white.

Aub, can you explain the rule clearly as depicted?

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
The problem is that the rule, as written says that if you do a "bona fide" slide (all three parts), you won't be called for interference.

And while in an extreme example (like, if Bautista reached out intentionally), sure, but Bautista was sliding with his hands up and his hands just so happened to run into Forsyth. And the rule clarifies that the slider is allowed contact if the fielder is in the slider's legal pathway.

So...does Bautista's legal pathway include where he holds up his hands? Is it up to Forsyth to get out of the way?

Either way, they need to clarify the rule imo.

EDIT: Rewatched it, that one angle Bautista clearly reaches out. The problem is that this seems legal according to the new rule...so we need a clarification.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
For those that haven't seen the slide:

He clearly grabbed him.

He also turned his entire body away from the bag while he was doing it.

Jose Goofed.

Can we move on? There will be 59 more losses for us to be upset about.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
He clearly grabbed him.

He also turned his entire body away from the bag while he was doing it.

Jose Goofed.

Can we move on? There will be 59 more losses for us to be upset about.

I think it appears that way cause that GIF slows down when he makes contact with the foot to make it appear prolonged.

Here's another view:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I think it appears that way cause that GIF slows down when he makes contact with the foot to make it appear prolonged.

Here's another view:

I still see it.

He makes a clear quick grab of his leg.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
He was in arms length of the bag and was out. As Jose said, why would he stay on the bag if he was out?

He moved away from the bag while he was still sliding.

Complete your slide, get up and walk back to the dug out.

Clear as day.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
That was awesome. I always say we need more games decided by video replay interpretations of esoteric rules. Yeah!

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
He was in arms length of the bag and was out. As Jose said, why would he stay on the bag if he was out?

that's where the rule is stupid. I have 2 issues with the rule

He shouldn't have to stay on the base when he's out. He should have to make a slide where he could potentially stay on the base if he needs to(i.e, not slide 3 or 4 feet past the base in an attempt to contact the field hard)

A little contact should be allowed, the whole point of the rule is to not violently hurt the fielder. If you slide into the base, before the base and your slide is such that you can stay on the base(if you needed to) then a little soft contact with the fielder should be allowed.

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Rule 6.01(i) -- Sliding to Bases on Double Play Attempts
If a runner does not engage in a bona fide slide, and initiates (or attempts to make) contact with the fielder for the purpose of breaking up a double play, he should be called for interference under this Rule 6.01. A "bona fide slide" for purposes of Rule 6.01 occurs when the runner:

(1) begins his slide (i.e., makes contact with the ground) before reaching the base;
(2) is able and attempts to reach the base with his hand or foot;
(3) is able and attempts to remain on the base (except home plate) after completion of the slide; and
(4) slides within reach of the base without changing his pathway for the purpose of initiating contact with a fielder.

The rule FYI

The only clear violation was (3) ... I don't think sticking his arm out would constitute changing his pathway to the base.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Certainly a learning process with this play. You can tell Bautista didn't have a damn clue about the technicalities so I don't fault him. It's a damn shame that it decided the game. You have to wonder how often this will happen over the next few months and if it will reach a boiling point with the players...

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Would everyone agree at least that it was really dumb of the MLB to enact a rule 1 week before the season starts without using it in any preseason games first?

Misunderstandings and failures of the application of the rule were pretty much guaranteed when they did something as stupid as that.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Would everyone agree at least that it was really dumb of the MLB to enact a rule 1 week before the season starts without using it in any preseason games first?

Misunderstandings and failures of the application of the rule were pretty much guaranteed when they did something as stupid as that.

We actually won one of our last pre season games on this rule.

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
He moved away from the bag while he was still sliding.

Complete your slide, get up and walk back to the dug out.

Clear as day.

That's not what interference in baseball is though. Contact isn't an issue. Going through the bag a bit was probably what made them go crazy about the arm.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Lol just lol.

This is the way the world works now, it sucks....

He did grab him and interfered, so the call was correct however it's dumb that is how it's being called now

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org

Here's another view:

honestly when you look at it like that it looks like he's making a fist so his hand doesnt get stepped on / injured (and if he makes contact in doing so, okay, whatever, thats how slides work)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad