Blue Jays Discussion: It's here! it's here! it's here! it's here! Baseball season begins!(WARNING:post 728)

Status
Not open for further replies.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
omg i have looked at this OOTP many times but haven't bitten yet. Seems fun eh

OOTP is awesome - now that they have a 3D game engine (albeit its a bit glitchy right now) I think I like it more than Football Manager.

Although it did crash on me so I lost my 4-1 start to the year :(

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Blue Jays Reddit is of the opinion that Floyd is the 5th starter, while Sanchez goes to AAA to start and work on his not fastball pitches.

Sanchez's problem, as I understand it, is that he'll get behind on pitch count/give up hits or runners or runs, and thus turn to his heater while ditching his other pitches. In other words, until he gets his breaking ball and 3rd pitch (forget which one) down pat, he's essentially a one pitch pony. That one pitch is just stupid good. If he's a starter at this level,he won't improve his other pitches nearly as well if the pressure is on to win (rather than triple A, where the focus is "work on your changeup!" of whatever).

This is what I've read/gleaned from others, not through watching games or through stats...but has Sanchez's other pitches improved drastically? It's nice to reward a talented, hard working home grown guy, but is it worth having Sanchez as the 5th guy versus 3 months of focusing on increasing his repertoire?

Accoding to http://www.brooksbaseball.net/tabs....rtDate=03/30/2007&endDate=03/22/2016&s_type=2, Sanchez threw a fastball 80% of the time (62.5 sinker, 17.4 four seem l).

walker said sanchez to the minors hasn even been discussed.

but yes, his curve has looked tremendous so far.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Blue Jays Reddit is of the opinion that Floyd is the 5th starter, while Sanchez goes to AAA to start and work on his not fastball pitches.

Sanchez's problem, as I understand it, is that he'll get behind on pitch count/give up hits or runners or runs, and thus turn to his heater while ditching his other pitches. In other words, until he gets his breaking ball and 3rd pitch (forget which one) down pat, he's essentially a one pitch pony. That one pitch is just stupid good. If he's a starter at this level,he won't improve his other pitches nearly as well if the pressure is on to win (rather than triple A, where the focus is "work on your changeup!" of whatever).

This is what I've read/gleaned from others, not through watching games or through stats...but has Sanchez's other pitches improved drastically? It's nice to reward a talented, hard working home grown guy, but is it worth having Sanchez as the 5th guy versus 3 months of focusing on increasing his repertoire?

Accoding to http://www.brooksbaseball.net/tabs....rtDate=03/30/2007&endDate=03/22/2016&s_type=2, Sanchez threw a fastball 80% of the time (62.5 sinker, 17.4 four seem l).

This is something I have always wondered. Isn't it up to the catcher to call the pitches? There has to be a trust issue if a pitcher continually "overrules" the call and goes to his decision. Am I wrong on this or am I missing something important? I am genuinely curious about this.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
This is something I have always wondered. Isn't it up to the catcher to call the pitches? There has to be a trust issue if a pitcher continually "overrules" the call and goes to his decision. Am I wrong on this or am I missing something important? I am genuinely curious about this.

If you have 2 people on, and sanchez is down 0-3 right now in the count.

Do you want him to throw a plus plus plus fastball or a minus changeup?

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010

Depends on the catcher/pitcher dynamic. Some backstops will throw down, and the pitcher will follow. This usually happens after an extended rapport or with control savvy guys who like to defer to the catcher. Other relationships have the catcher providing 1 or 2 or even 3 options and they start the sequence from there. It's about trust yes, but it's also about knowing what works. That heavy sinker of his, while easy to sit on, can overpower alot of hitters. Last year Sanchez wasn't nearly as confident in his breaking pitches. As a catcher you read off that. If he's not confident, you're not confident in throwing it down. You play off each other in that way. Just because he's waving the catcher off doesn't always mean there's an issue with trust. More like confidence. Some days the grip on your curve/change is better than others etc. That being said, I think Sanchez has worked hard to atleast be consistent with his breaking stuff. Even if they're still not plus pitches, it atleast implants the thought into the batters head that he can throw another pitch or two in the zone.

Last edited:

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Just Wilner speculation. He's been pushing the Sanchez has to be in the bullpen narrative since Floyd's first ST appearance. Just took the opportunity to toss it into the tweet about Stro.

But he's a gamechanger out of the pen! So is Storen. And Floyd held batters to a .260slg in his 7 appearances last year. Not exactly chump meat. He loves to make it out to be a massive loss for the pen though.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
If Floyd is healthy, then I agree he should be starting.

I'm not sure it's Sanchez who should lose the starting spot for him, though.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Sanchez cruising today. 6ip, 4h, 3k, 0bb. Not the Mets full roster but he can only help himself with an outing like this.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
When is Stroman supposed to throw isn't this twice Sanchez has thrown since Stromans last start? Or was his day the off day and they just simulated it for him?

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
table_flip.jpg

Garlando

May 5, 2014
Kingston, Ontario
OOTP is awesome - now that they have a 3D game engine (albeit its a bit glitchy right now) I think I like it more than Football Manager.

Although it did crash on me so I lost my 4-1 start to the year :(

OOTP is amazing! Haven't purchased this year's edition yet but it looks really fresh! Sorry to hear about the crash but it should get better as they update throughout the year.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Please be precautionary
Please be precautionary
Please be precautionary
Please be precautionaryPlease be precautionary
Please be precautionary
Please be precautionary
Please be precautionary
Please be precautionary
Please be precautionary

****ing fat Bartolo Colon, you ass

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
I've been a supporter of Smoak for quite some time. I am slightly biased when it comes to Smoak, but I do have a gut feeling that this is the year he puts it all together. He just needs everyday at bats.

He's not going to get it with Gibbons having a platoon in mind at 1st base.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Hazel Mae ‏@thehazelmae
Gibbons said Tulo got hit on knuckles of right hand. Swollen in dugout and was "cut up a bit" Gibbons said. Gone for X-rays. No results yet.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Damn. Please let it be a short term injury. He was in great form too.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Hazel Mae ‏@thehazelmae
Gibbons said Tulo got hit on knuckles of right hand. Swollen in dugout and was "cut up a bit" Gibbons said. Gone for X-rays. No results yet.

Wow. She really knows how to take a hatchet to information.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/...precautionary-x-rays?ls=roto:MLB:topheadlines

Tulo was forced to exit Wednesday's game against the Mets after he was hit in the hand by a pitch. He was specifically hit in the knuckles and suffered some contusions, but Blue Jays manager John Gibbons says it isn't considered serious. Still, the team is sending him for X-rays just to be on the safe side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad