Post-Game Talk: It's Getting Nazzy Up In Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
And you know this how? Nonis drafted smaller skilled players in Vancouver during his tenure. Cody Hodgson and Michael Grabner 10th and 15th overall.

Total speculation he would have drafted Ritchie, based off the Gauthier pick solely.

My understanding was the consensus was Nylander or Ehlers.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Burke Nonis were horrible...End of discussion.....we got rid of some of their picks for nothing...Biggs who we traded up to get was a toss in to get contract spaces. In that same purge we shipped off Finn as well. Percy looks like he will be the next to move on from. Nylander was a Shanahan pick ....He said so himself. So looking at our draft picks from the Burke/Nonis joke we have next to nothing.. other then two top 10 picks.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Burke Nonis were horrible...End of discussion.....we got rid of some of their picks for nothing...Biggs who we traded up to get was a toss in to get contract spaces. In that same purge we shipped off Finn as well. Percy looks like he will be the next to move on from. Nylander was a Shanahan pick ....He said so himself. So looking at our draft picks from the Burke/Nonis joke we have next to nothing.. other then two top 10 picks.

Absolutely terrible! :rant:

Surely, we would be a playoff team by now, if JFJ had been allowed to do a full rebuild! Who knows, maybe all of his picks would have busted. :dunno:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Absolutely terrible! :rant:

Surely, we would be a playoff team by now, if JFJ had been allowed to do a full rebuild! Who knows, maybe all of his picks would have busted. :dunno:

Looking at JFJ picks he did very well...much better than Burke. Remember JFJ was a scout and a very good one.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Looking at JFJ picks he did very well...much better than Burke. Remember JFJ was a scout and a very good one.

Yes, he did well, however, would he been able to sustain his record through a total rebuild? :dunno:

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010

JFJ could have done well here if ownership stopped meddling and if his pro scouts didnt fail him. Pretty good drafting record if you look at it.

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
Nice to see Naz get the hat trick, and that his teammates worked so hard to help him get it. The difference of the vibe around the team between this year and last is amazing, this current edition really seems to have that all-for-one feeling that was completely missing last year.

Also, does it seem like Grabner skating much better than earlier in the year. Seems the last few games are the first where I've seen him hit the afterburners and leave guys in his wake.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Kadri hat trick after they have been mathematically eliminated.
Great.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
I get that. Sending them out for a return far lower than the asking price would've been a better choice. In other words, I'm taking a position similar to Zeke when it comes to talent.

If your GM starts doing that, the other GMs will start taking advantage of him, and he won't be able to make trades that are decent value. Maybe when he asks for a 1st + A prospect, the other teams says "no, we'll give you a 2nd and a B prospect, take it or leave it." IMO, giving the impression that you're a strong-willed GM (ie. not going to fold during a negotiation and just take the best offer you can get) is worth more than a 4th/5th rd draft pick.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Is it just me or does it seem like in the last couple of years Kadri turns up his point production when the Leafs have nothing to play for and are either mathematically eliminated from the playoffs or on the verge of being eliminated?

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
Picked in late June with Nonis and the old scouting staff still in place.

Under Shanahan's direction of skill of hockey IQ. It's pretty disingenuous to suggest Nylander is part of the Burke era.

Unless of course you're referring to how he built the softest team in the NHL with no mental toughness who collapsed spectacularly year after year. One collapse which resulted in the 8th overall pick (Willy). In which case.. sure we can "thank" Burke for that.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Kadri hat trick after they have been mathematically eliminated.
Great.

It really doesn't matter at this point. Its better to have the kids finding chemistry with guys like Kadri. The team isn't going to suck next year as we have oodles of 3-4th liners in the system and some of those are looking to prove themselves as top 6.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Is it just me or does it seem like in the last couple of years Kadri turns up his point production when the Leafs have nothing to play for and are either mathematically eliminated from the playoffs or on the verge of being eliminated?

Last I saw on this, it's more the other way around.

If there's someone that fits that description, it's Gardiner. Granted, with him it's more a question of getting better and better as the season goes along, rather than as a consequence of pressure.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005

Nonis/Burke picks still in the system with value:

(Not including post Shanahan)

F. Gauthier
A. Bibeau
A. Johnson
M. Rielly
V. Loov
S. Percy
J. Leivo
G. Sparks
S. Carrick
N. Kadri

Hardly nothing, but not great. I am hopefull Hunter is able to deliver better, but at this point its very difficult to say we've drafted better as its only two drafts in.

Marner, Nylander are sure things but also falls into two top ten picks. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Also, the team was stripped of tangible assets when Burke came over and he has able to put assets in place that have been useful assets in trades.

He will always be black marked by the Kessel move, and the Biggs deal.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site

Kadri's best season came "when it mattered" and we actually made the playoffs.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I love comments about Kadri is some how playing better because were eliminated, when in reality he's been doing this the entire season.

Leaf of the Mind

BABS WAS BOB
Feb 6, 2015
Is it safe to assume that Burkie would have taken Ritchie over Nylander? I think it's likely. The less said about his actual size over skill picks the better.

I doubt Burke would have hesitated to sign Clarkson either. All the other things that never came to pass but were rumored, like bringing the Sedins or Luongo over, kind of suggest that he was never going to rebuild properly.

We'd still be stuck in a JFJ like dark age, capped out, with the occasional young guy here and there, always ready to be shipped out for veteran help.
I agreed with his free wallet philosophy but it felt like part of the reason we were dumpster diving was because the team was saddled with risky projects that never panned out (Komi/Lombardi/Lupul/Connolly). Add to that the lost Kessel 1st rounders, and it was such a risky way to build a team.
Burke only doubled down as soon as things got bad, and he seemed to be easily rattled by the media. They in turn seemed to look forward to antagonizing him more and more for the entertainment value.
He was incredibly bold in correcting the mistakes, but they were mistakes that never should have happened in the first place. He was what Brian Colangelo was to the Raptors, minus the charisma.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Under Shanahan's direction of skill of hockey IQ. It's pretty disingenuous to suggest Nylander is part of the Burke era.

Ummm… so when the Leafs went after Bolland again a few weeks later but missed… or signed Robidas to a 3 year deal… or traded D'Amigo and a draft pick for Frattin… that was under Shanahan's direction of skill of hockey IQ?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Based on the advice of one of the few scouts that wasn't fired by Shanahan.

Nonis draft record was terrible no matter how you look at it - as was Burkes.

Burke also drafted players like… Bobby Ryan, Chris Pronger, Kessler, the Sedins, Bieksa, Umberger, Jake Gardiner (in Anaheim).

Terrible is a stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad