Post-Game Talk: It's Getting Nazzy Up In Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
we would have made the playoffs this year if we played our best players.

a greed...

Connor Carrick? Connor Brown? Wow, talk about two found wallets.... Amazing. This Brook Laich guy too, in the dressing room? Found bank vault.

tokyoite

I changed my name from "nipponjin" last summer.
Feb 22, 2015
Tokyo metropolitan area JPN
While I am not totally opposed to winning, I do find it annoying that Grabner and PAP are generating points. Honestly, why didn't we just trade both of them for 4th or 5th round picks if demand was weak?

Scoring should be exclusively generated by our youngsters.

our asking price was too steep, that's why the Isles balked.

horner

May 22, 2007
Yea, I get what you're saying. It will still be very disappointing to end up with a 6th or 7th overall pick.

Other than Mathews, I will be happy with
Laine
Pulj
Dubois
Tkachuk
Sergachev
Chychrum
Nylander

We will still get a grt player
With our management and coaching staff they will get the most out of him.

The fact that Babs has these kids for 20 games under his wing is grt for next season.

I think he is even surprised with the talent that we have.

And I for one don't believe this is a fluke. We have beaten and held our oun against some really good teams.

Florida that was our second game against them. Nobody can tell me that they weren't ready for us.

And it shouldn't be a surprise around the league by now.

And we have Babs and his coaching staff plus Lemaire. We have never been in better hands.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
a greed...

Connor Carrick? Connor Brown? Wow, talk about two found wallets.... Amazing. This Brook Laich guy too, in the dressing room? Found bank vault.

Are Carrick and Brown considered found wallets? We drafted one of them years ago and developed him and traded for the other. I'm being pedantic though, good players to have.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Are Carrick and Brown considered found wallets? We drafted one of them years ago and developed him and traded for the other. I'm being pedantic though, good players to have.

Sssh.

Between Brown, Kadri, Rielly, Sparks, Nylander… you'll ruin the Nonis/Burke and the infrastructure they built didn't know what they were doing narrative.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Sssh.

Between Brown, Kadri, Rielly, Sparks, Nylander… you'll ruin the Nonis/Burke and the infrastructure they built didn't know what they were doing narrative.

I'm pretty sure it's what they did in between that was the problem. Mike Millbury and John Ferguson Junior drafted players too you know.\

I don't think I have to list those things/players to show how it would fit the narrative.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Sssh.

Three of the five you mentioned were top ten picks. Top ten picks drafted after seasons in which the management that you're defending planned on making the playoffs and competing. Not to mention the 2OA that was traded away.

The other two plus Komorov are the only ones that have made it from the remaining 6 rounds over 7 years.

The only thing that that regime did for this organization positively, was inadvertently start the rebuild early and landing the top ten picks mentioned. Only by its own incompetence were they able to blunder their way to this final result though.

Metal God

Aug 12, 2010
Toronto
Remember how some people were furious when we didn't re-sign Bolland
dodged a bullet

Remember this gem by Steve Simmons?

The top priority for Maple Leafs management should not be to determine who will coach the club next season — it should be to get David Bolland signed.

Overpaying for David Clarkson and Dion Phaneuf was deemed necessary by Leafs management, badly as the Clarkson signing has gone thus far. But if it takes overpaying to keep Bolland, they have to do it. His value cannot be statistically quantified. But his value should be unquestioned.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/04/05/re-signing-bolland-should-be-leafs-top-off-season-priority

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Yeyy another meaningless win, that worked so well in the last 7 8 yearssss..we shoud sign grabner parenteau to 5 year deals, give kadri 1st line center money and so on..yey we wooon

No matter where we are in the standings, I always cheer for my team to win a game. No matter what, I want the team to win. If our scouting department can't find hockey players at the position we draft at, then they're the problem.

There are no such things as Hockey Gods, however, if there were, I'd expect them to make sure we'd lose big time when we're suppose to be competitive in a few years. This would be as a result of all the tankers that are openly cheering for losses now.

If 1st overall draft picks could single handedly make a team into a Stanley Cup champion, then, Edmonton and Pittsburgh should have been competing to win the Stanley Cup for the last few years! Yet, Edmonton is still competing for the 1st overall draft pick, and, Pittsburgh is just barely making the playoffs this year.

If we win a game, then this is great, IMHO. If we end up losing more than we win, then, that's all good too as long as it is legitimate. No matter where we draft, our scouting department has to do their jobs and get us quality hockey players. Who knows, maybe Matthews ends up being another Daigle! You just never know.

I prefer the Detroit model rather than the Edmonton one! :rant:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I'm pretty sure it's what they did in between that was the problem. Mike Millbury and John Ferguson Junior drafted players too you know.\

I don't think I have to list those things/players to show how it would fit the narrative.

History on HF boards is judged in absolutes.

100% crap is the narrative. Current regime is perfect. Until the next one.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
History on HF boards is judged in absolutes.

100% crap is the narrative. Current regime is perfect. Until the next one.

You can only judge on results. We have the results of the previous one. This regime will be judged accordingly when results are shown in the appropriate time table.

Plenty of people absolutely hated the 'current' regime at the time when Burke and Nonis were at the head of the table, for the record, especially in the last year or so of their own regimes. It was pretty bad.

Last edited:

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
Sssh.

Nylander was a Shanahan pick, and Sparks is nothing special at all.

Good on Burke for making good use of two top ten selections in Kadri and Rielly though. Especially considering that we were supposed to be a playoff team by Rielly's draft year.

Brown was also a great late round pick, likely why Morrison is still around.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Good on Burke for making good use of two top ten selections in Kadri and Rielly though. Especially considering that we were supposed to be a playoff team by Rielly's draft year.

accuracy never meant much to that poster when it tries to make it's point

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
We absolutely dummied both Florida clubs on this road trip, even if we only have the one victory to show for it.

I have to say, even though our draft position is at stake, I'm really impressed with the way we've played since the trade deadline. Only one poor outing against Ottawa since then.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

Picked in late June with Nonis and the old scouting staff still in place.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Burke was adored here, and even now there are posters around here who think he would of done a great job if given more time.

Let's not pretend that didn't happen.

tmlmatus

Dec 29, 2013
Toronto
We absolutely dummied both Florida clubs on this road trip, even if we only have the one victory to show for it.

I have to say, even though our draft position is at stake, I'm really impressed with the way we've played since the trade deadline. Only one poor outing against Ottawa since then.

If anything it has me excited for next season, unlike last year.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Nonis would've picked Ritchie if he had autonomy lets be real here.

And you know this how? Nonis drafted smaller skilled players in Vancouver during his tenure. Cody Hodgson and Michael Grabner 10th and 15th overall.

Total speculation he would have drafted Ritchie, based off the Gauthier pick solely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad