It's Easy To Be A Great Coach When You Have The Greatest QB EVER !!!

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
In the history between these two teams, the have Broncos beat the Pats in every decade except for 2010s when the Pats finally got over the curse of Denver by going 7-3 for the decade. The Pats went 3-6 agains the Broncos in the 2000s. Belichick’s Patriots are 10-10 against Denver. You have to go back to the Boston Patriot days prior to 2010 when the Patriots were at least respectable against the Broncos. Trust me, it’s a one sided rivalry except for that brief 10 years.

Prior to the the last decade (2010-2019), the Broncos have the the much better record by far. The Patriots went 19 years without a win against Denver at one point. 1980 to 1999. Losing 12 straight games against Denver.

You got the gif because...(cough cough), you moved the goalposts from your original post and I am too old to play the HF game.

Bold statement. Belichick is on record as saying he won’t coach into his 70s. He’s currently 68 yrs old.

PS. I think your last sentence would have been better if you said “hero” or maybe even “Nero”.

Honestly I couldn't go back that far because it's way before my time. I was just simply going from 2000 onward.

Reactions: 4Orr

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Honestly I couldn't go back that far because it's way before my time. I was just simply going from 2000 onward.

I fully understand, I wasn’t poking at you at all. Unfortunately, I am old enough and I remember the agony of all those games. The Broncos make me cry. :laugh:

But if you think about it. Find any team with a 10-10 record against a Belichick led Patriot team. I think it might be difficult. I think Denver was the only team that had a winning record against Brady until last year. which is now a tied record. Brady didn’t play in the 2000 win against Denver, Bledsoe was at the helm. So that makes Brady 9-9 overall against Denver as a Patriot.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I fully understand, I wasn’t poking at you at all. Unfortunately, I am old enough and I remember the agony of all those games. The Broncos make me cry. :laugh:

But if you think about it. Find any team with a 10-10 record against a Belichick led Patriot team. I think it might be difficult. I think Denver was the only team that had a winning record against Brady until last year. which is now a tied record. Brady didn’t play in the 2000 win against Denver, Bledsoe was at the helm. So that makes Brady 9-9 overall against Denver as a Patriot.

Harbaugh is 4-6 (Including two postseason wins in NE) against Belichick. And the two postseason losses to NE were barely losses at that.

Reid is 4-3 against Belichick as Chiefs coach. 2 of the 3 losses were in the postseason. One of them in OT. Reid is 4-7 against Belichick overall. One of the losses was the SB as Eagles coach.

Mike Shanahan was 5-2 overall against Belichick. That goes back to your Denver point.

Rex Ryan had success against him. Mangini did too. Herm Edwards is another.

Pete Carroll should be 4-0 against Belichick. He's 3-1. We all know about said one loss. Lol.

Tony Dungy was 4-5 against Belichick overall.

Tom Coughlin was 3-2 against Belichick. Including 2 SB wins.

Obviously some of these coaches had better teams. But it proves Belichick can be beaten. Players win games. Coaches lose them as he says (Not to say Belichick lost all those games on his own).

All of their SB's (Sans SB 53) came down to the last possession.

One could make an argument Belichick's teams were robbed in SB 42 (For sure), & 46 (In this one I think they were just outplayed. But some still say robbed). But on the other hand, they got pretty fortunate in SB 49 & 51. There's a thin line between winning and losing.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Harbaugh is 4-6 (Including two postseason wins in NE) against Belichick. And the two postseason losses to NE were barely losses at that.

Reid is 4-3 against Belichick as Chiefs coach. 2 of the 3 losses were in the postseason. One of them in OT. Reid is 4-7 against Belichick overall. One of the losses was the SB as Eagles coach.

Mike Shanahan was 5-2 overall against Belichick. That goes back to your Denver point.

Rex Ryan had success against him. Mangini did too. Herm Edwards is another.

Pete Carroll should be 4-0 against Belichick. He's 3-1. We all know about said one loss. Lol.

Tony Dungy was 4-5 against Belichick overall.

Tom Coughlin was 3-2 against Belichick. Including 2 SB wins.

Obviously some of these coaches had better teams. But it proves Belichick can be beaten. Players win games. Coaches lose them as he says (Not to say Belichick lost all those games on his own).

All of their SB's (Sans SB 53) came down to the last possession.

One could make an argument Belichick's teams were robbed in SB 42 (For sure), & 46 (In this one I think they were just outplayed. But some still say robbed). But on the other hand, they got pretty fortunate in SB 49 & 51. There's a thin line between winning and losing.

Great research. Thanks for this, there’s some good info in this post. Few things I didn’t know.

I don’t want to give the impression that I think the Patriots are unbeatable because I don’t. I lived through the terrible times from the 70s to the 1990s. I also understand dynasties die and the Patriots are currently floating but almost dead. It was fun while it lasted and congrats Buffalo!

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Great research. Thanks for this, there’s some good info in this post. Few things I didn’t know.

I don’t want to give the impression that I think the Patriots are unbeatable because I don’t. I lived through the terrible times from the 70s to the 1990s. I also understand dynasties die and the Patriots are currently floating but almost dead. It was fun while it lasted and congrats Buffalo!

9 SB trips under Belichick and Brady. 6 SB wins. Likely will never be matched again.

They will have to take two steps back before taking three steps forward. But if they get a franchise QB, I think they can be back in championship contention in 2022 or 2023. By no means are they in need of a complete rebuild. Assuming Belichick is coach. If he retires, and McDaniels or someone else takes over, who knows. Coaching is so big in the NFL.

I'm not a huge Pats fan by any means. I'm an Eagles fan. But I respect what they've done. Every time they won the division (Sans maybe 09, 13, and 19) they were looked at as a serious SB threat. That's abnormal. Plenty of teams win division titles, but you just know deep down they aren't a serious SB threat. They get to the postseason. But are ultimately outclassed by superior competition.

Last edited:

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Did someone really post that the Pats have had very good or elite D for the last 20 years? The D was a dumpster fire for a while after the backbone of the first dynasty moved on.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Everyone always points to this. But this was a team that was coming off a 19-0 season sans a miracle catch. They had one of the easiest schedules in 2008. They had great talent on defense. And they happened to go 1-4 against playoff teams. The one win was in a blizzard at home against the Cardinals.

Belichick is a great coach. But he's really lost it as a GM. The drafts have been horrendous lately. The trades have stunk. And I don't get the Newton signing. You sink or swim with Stidham. And if you sink, you know to draft a QB in 2021.

Your point as well is probably that having a star QB doesn't automatically = great success. True. But Belichick is a few tiers ahead of McCarthy. That much is obvious.

I'm not saying Belichick isn't an all time great coach. He clearly is. I'm saying his drafts have been subpar since 2015. That is showing now.

My guess is Kraft wanted the team to remain competitive.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I don't think Brady carried Belichick the coach. Belichick's ability to see the bigger picture is unparalleled. I do recall an Ochocinco story where he was shocked at the kind of cussing he took from the coach, said it was unlike anything he'd seen, so I do think Brady allowed Belichick the time to implement a culture that may not have come to fruition otherwise.

Where Brady 100% covered up for Belichick was in team building, specifically on offense.

Last edited:

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Did someone really post that the Pats have had very good or elite D for the last 20 years? The D was a dumpster fire for a while after the backbone of the first dynasty moved on.
I wasn’t the one that made the statement but I am curious.

Point out what years under The Belly that NE’s defense was a dumpster fire? It’s not even a dumpster fire this year and he lost about 5 defensive starters due to opt out, nevermind in season injuries and positive cv19 tests.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
I wasn’t the one that made the statement but I am curious.

Point out what years under The Belly that NE’s defense was a dumpster fire? It’s not even a dumpster fire this year and he lost about 5 defensive starters due to opt out, nevermind in season injuries and positive cv19 tests.
They were poor for a good stretch. When we had a team that was an offensive juggernaut we had a D that was pretty damn poor.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Even if you want to say he's overrated as a coach, Belichick the GM is fantastic.

Also regardless if one thinks Griese should in the PFHOF, they still had 5 other HOF'ers on those 70s squads. Lets not act like Shula was working with the bare minimum.
Actually I think BB the coach is far better than BB the GM. The Pats drafting record is pretty average.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

Although they ranked 25th or below from 2010-13 in yards allowed the defense still ranked 15th or higher in points allowed. ( in 3 of those years they were in the top 10) Hardly a dumpster fire.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
They were poor for a good stretch. When we had a team that was an offensive juggernaut we had a D that was pretty damn poor.

Not according to the numbers. The worst defensive years under the Belly was 2000 and 2002. The rest of the time they were between above average to elite. The reoccurring theme with any Belichick defense is they give up tons and tons of yards but rank within the top defenses in points given up. They had a couple a bum years in comparison to themselves but were never and I quote “dumpster fire” unless we have different definitions of the word.

I don’t see anything here that sticks out as a dumpster fire defense with 2013 being the exception but they were still solid, just not great.

Bill Belichick Record, Statistics, and Category Ranks | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Also Belichick was for what it's worth passable in Cleveland. He was the last coach to have them 4-1 until Stefanski pulled it off. They had Nick Saban as a defensive coordinator.

Some people do better their second time around. Andy Reid was pilloried for not winning the big game in Philly. He went to KC and won a title.

BB deserved much more credit in Cleveland, they were a complete mess when he took over. They had completely bottomed out the year before under Bud Carson, and had them rebounding and a looking like they could be in the playoffs or perhaps win the division. Then 2 things happened. The Bernie Kosar ordeal, which BB took the heat for and the announced team move. To dismiss his time there as mediocre became a lazy narrative. If BB had a stable franchise and a QB he would have won there as well.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
2008 was a great job by BB. He drafted a kid who hadnt started a game since hs and went 11-5 while replacing the goat coming off then greatest season ever for a QB.

The defense was not great, harrison was on IR and all but retired with Bruschi right behind him. They had the corpses of Roosevelt Colvin, Junior Seau, and Mike Vrabel and not to mention the ginormous bust and just a bad teammate that was Adalius Thomas. That defense would have been nasty 4 years earlier
You leave out the fact that the 2008 defense added an absolute defensive stud in Jerod Mayo, Seymour played a full season and the "corpses" you mentioned were old in 2007.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Just simply not true. I even posted about it on the last page.
All the main playmakers, especially on offense, were there. The 2008 team scored 179 less points than 2007. If Brady had of played they would have gone 14-2 or 15-1.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
You leave out the fact that the 2008 defense added an absolute defensive stud in Jerod Mayo, Seymour played a full season and the "corpses" you mentioned were old in 2007.
Seymour was.such a malcontent that he got his ass traded at the end of the season.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
All the main playmakers, especially on offense, were there. The 2008 team scored 179 less points than 2007. If Brady had of played they would have gone 14-2 or 15-1.
They lost some guys on both sides of the ball, but they probably would have won at least 12 or 13 games because that's just how good BB and TB are

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
How is New England and B.B. doing without Brady so far?
Not well, but if we are judging BB, it should obviously be stated that his original plan was to replace Brady with Jimmy G. They got stuck being pulled in 2 directions. Brady short term and Bill long term

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad