It's Easy To Be A Great Coach When You Have The Greatest QB EVER !!!

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Bill (Belichick) is the best coach of all time and Bill (Walsh) is the most influential (west coast offense/coaching tree/coaching habits). That is the way I see it.

Reactions: DoyleG

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Bill (Belichick) is the best coach of all time and Bill (Walsh) is the most influential (west coast offense/coaching tree/coaching habits). That is the way I see it.
I think Shula was the best. As Bum Phillips once said :

"He can take his'n and beat your'n and take your'n and beat his'n."

I agree, 100%.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
LOL. He had Unitas at the VERY END of his career - after he stopped being a starter.

As for Bob Griese... Have you ever looked at his stats? He has a career passing rating of 77.1.
It was a completely differe era they played in. You cant compare passer ratings from the 60s and 70s to today. That's just ridiculous. Griese is a HOF QB though. Don Shula had 3 HOF QBs he coached. I dont want to here about poor Don Shula and the QBs he had to work with.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
It was a completely differe era they played in. You cant compare passer ratings from the 60s and 70s to today. That's just ridiculous. Griese is a HOF QB though. Don Shula had 3 HOF QBs he coached. I dont want to here about poor Don Shula and the QBs he had to work with.
I agree, he got the most out of Griese who was overrated - even Fran Tankenton said Griese should NOT be in the HOF. Shula also lost his best players to the WFL - Warfield, Csonka and Kiick.

As for Unitas, he wasn't even the starter in SuperBowl III - he was an OLD man.

As for Marino, he could NOT win the big game. Again, it is why he almost didn't get drafted in the first round - IIRC 5 QB's were drafted before him and his choking.

Last edited:

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I agree, he got the most out of Griese who was overrated - Fran Tankenton said Griese should NOT be in the HOF. Shula also lost his best players to the WFL - Warfield, Csonka and Kick.

As for Unitas, he wasn't even the starter in SuperBowl III - he was an OLD man ling past his prime.

As for Marino, he could NOT win the big one.
The point is Shula had plenty of talent to work with over his career

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Of course he did. But he didn't have Tom Brady - who is the GOAT.

Again, we'll see how great a coach BB is now that Brady is gone.
Yeah exactly, we will see. You seem a little premature to dance on BB grave. My guess is the Patriots will be absolutely fine this season

Reactions: ORRFForever

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I agree, he got the most out of Griese who was overrated - even Fran Tankenton said Griese should NOT be in the HOF. Shula also lost his best players to the WFL - Warfield, Csonka and Kiick.

As for Unitas, he wasn't even the starter in SuperBowl III - he was an OLD man.

As for Marino, he could NOT win the big game. Again, it is why he almost didn't get drafted in the first round - IIRC 5 QB's were drafted before him and his choking.

If you're a troll, you suck at your job.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
He didnt win a Super Bowl with Unitas or Marino. So not so sure about this statement.
LOL! Good Lord... Unitas was an OLD man when Shula started coaching him.

As for Marino, he never won big games... Not in college, not under Shula, not under Jimmy Johnson. Marino couldn't perform when everything was on the line. As I said, that's why 5 teams passed him over in his draft.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
He didnt win a Super Bowl with Unitas or Marino. So not so sure about this statement.
P.S. There was NO such thing as a Superbowl for MOST of Unitas' career. The one he played in - Superbowl III, he was the 2nd string QB and only got in at the end of the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad