It is time for enforcers again!

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
With Bettman, Parros and DoPS not willing to cut dirty play out of the league, I feel it is time to once again start having enforcers. It is not only about the last incident, but DoPS have been really bad for a long time. If I owned a team, I wouldnt want my stars to be hurt. If I was a coach I would want a guy who stands up for my guys and is actually feared by other teams on my bench. Thoughts?

If you call the actual rule book, and enforce stiff penalties, goons aren't required. NFL is a more physical game, has plenty of borderline to dirty plays, and you don't see players looking for on-field retribution or the need to police things. If players go over the line they get significantly larger fines and suspensions.

Myles Garrett got an indefinite suspension that ended up being 6 games for removing Rudolph's helmet and hitting him with it. Six games out of 16 is equivalent to 31 games of an NHL season. Levy those sorts of punishment to offending players and the antics of Wilson will go away. Or he will.

Reactions: zeeto

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
In all fairness Panarin literally jumped on Wilson’s back and bear hugged him, what exactly did Artemi think was going to happen? Wilson has a track record of being dirty but Panarin messed with the bull and he got the horns. Live and learn.

this isn't gonna be a popular position, but it's kind of how I saw it as well.

the punch wilson threw on the ice was not good. not egregious either, and probably a fine. if you want to get your nose dirty and go after wilson, you kind of have to accept the fact that he's probably not going to let you go.

i did like larry brooks' take on it however. Clowns are always entertaining.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
If you call the actual rule book, and enforce stiff penalties, goons aren't required. NFL is a more physical game, has plenty of borderline to dirty plays, and you don't see players looking for on-field retribution or the need to police things. If players go over the line they get significantly larger fines and suspensions.

Myles Garrett got an indefinite suspension that ended up being 6 games for removing Rudolph's helmet and hitting him with it. Six games out of 16 is equivalent to 31 games of an NHL season. Levy those sorts of punishment to offending players and the antics of Wilson will go away. Or he will.

You don't?'
I guess if you don't watch then you don't see it. you take liberties with a quaterback and linemen will do what good teamates do and stand up for a teamate.

also in the nfl guys bite, eye gouge, bend fingers in the scrum because they can get away with it. if you think this is bad, i left out the really nasty stuff.

or and in case you missed it, in hockey the chaos is kept iside the boards, with large men playing at speed with clubs in their hands and malice is their dark dark hearts and the contact need not come through the front porch.

when the O an D lines play with cop billy clubs in their hands, then we can make comparisons,

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
The NHL lawsuit for CTE does.
fights are almost exclusively consentual and if someone wants to get in front of a judge and say " honestly, I had not idea that trading barefisted blows was associated with a negative health prognosis" they are more than welcome to.

knowing the risks and retroactively regretting you accepted the risk are two different kettles of fish.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Honestly i don't think an Enforcer stops Wilson . I think more of a Matt Cooke type might if the league doesn't finally end this shit . Wilsons runs and injured a player you send out your cheapshot artist to run the knees on a Caps player. Idk if thats a good idea though.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
No, it's time to say "No extracurricular stuff after the whistle, period". Other sports do just fine without this clown show, why can't the NHL? If the league decides that so much as shoving someone after the whistle means a penalty you will see this nonsense disappear in a matter of weeks. But no, they allow it for no reason other than "We have always done it this way".

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
If that was the case, the NHL would completely ban fighting.

this idea has been floated by the pearl clutchers repeatedly.

the NHL and the PA are PARTNERS. The PA by every available metric wants to keep the right to self police. if the NHL wants to force fighting out of the game, they have but one choice; lock the players out over it. that's not to say it can't happen because if there is one thing the league is great at, it's lockeing the players out.

that's not going to happen any time soon.

so you pearl clutchers who lament the barbarity of it all can all go back to hoping a player dies in a fight in order to usher in a version of the game that you might find more palatable.

concerns for player safety my ass.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
fights are almost exclusively consentual and if someone wants to get in front of a judge and say " honestly, I had not idea that trading barefisted blows was associated with a negative health prognosis" they are more than welcome to.

knowing the risks and retroactively regretting you accepted the risk are two different kettles of fish.

"Judge they made me do it. I wanted to keep my jerb, but now my brain is scrambled"

"Unsafe working environment, here take a billion".

Organized fighting in the NHL won't happen again now that people have proven it is extremely hazardous. You can't have players in the roster who only punch people and the argue that you don't create a work environment with organized violence.

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
Or just don’t put yourself in that situation in the first place? You know, use some intelligence? Wilson is a piece of garbage, don’t get me wrong, but Panarin did himself no favors by jumping on Wilson’s back. What do you know about my moral code? Maybe keep your mouth shut when it comes to implying shit.
hey man, blame the victim not the abuser, love your way of thinking.

your the kind of dude who says "hey girls if you didn't dress like this then MAYBE the guy wouldn't harass you"

Reactions: MardyBum

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Between the salary cap, the instigator rule, and the 50 contract limit, one-dimensional face punchers are long gone. It doesn’t necessarily stop a guy like Wilson either, even if you did. Having big, physical guys who can also play will never go out of style. If the Rags aren’t smart enough to bring in a few guys who can push back, their skill players will play scared.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
If NHL doesn't do a good job protecting players from bad acts then the players need to deal with it themselves. I love seeing a good fight.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Find a good one. Reaves and Deslauriers chip in goals.

I played with one guy who was about 6'3" and hit like 3 times per shift. It felt like the ice was empty, I could skate wherever I wanted to and the puck would almost magically pop out of the corner to my stick (and then a lot more softly than I'd admit into the goalie's glove). To me an aggressive power forward who punishes isn't the same as an enforcer.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
"Judge they made me do it. I wanted to keep my jerb, but now my brain is scrambled"

"Unsafe working environment, here take a billion".

Organized fighting in the NHL won't happen again now that people have proven it is extremely hazardous. You can't have players in the roster who only punch people and the argue that you don't create a work environment with organized violence.

if " they" could make players fight, explain BGL in his sunset years.

And its the players, the VERY people who would suffer the consequences who want to keep the right to self police in the game. Not just the fighters ( like they still exist) virtually ALL PA members want to retain the prerogative to settle beefs on the ice. And as partners with the league, if fighting is to go, it will need to go with the consent of the PA.

if only we could discern where the PA sits on this thorny issue.

And as for the last statement, if this were true, UFC and Boxing would be on the block LONG before hockey.

those must be some VERY VERY strong pearls.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
hey man, blame the victim not the abuser, love your way of thinking.

your the kind of dude who says "hey girls if you didn't dress like this then MAYBE the guy wouldn't harass you"
Yikers

At which point did I say Wilson isn’t to blame? He is to blame, I’m simply suggesting that maybe Panarin shouldn’t have jumped on Wilson’s back without expecting retaliation from someone who is a historically dirty player and that he has his share of blame for putting himself in that situation. When you’re one of the smallest players in the league you don’t go after a guy like Wilson.

It’s clear you’re the kind of dude who can’t think critically so this conversation doesn’t need to go any further, not that it can anyways. Have a good one.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
No, it's time to say "No extracurricular stuff after the whistle, period". Other sports do just fine without this clown show, why can't the NHL? If the league decides that so much as shoving someone after the whistle means a penalty you will see this nonsense disappear in a matter of weeks. But no, they allow it for no reason other than "We have always done it this way".

The league will never do that. They can’t even call every penalty because “game management”.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Funny. That kinda sounds like Wilson...

Yeah, it's pretty funny how some people want more Tom Wilson's in the league to deal with the current Tom Wilson.

"We need enforcers to deal with dirty players!" Enforcers:

You know - because enforcers weren't the ones out there doing stupid shit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad