Pre-Game Talk: Isles v Emotion Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I see them posting insults about attendance on Twitter, and it's funny because I know most of them will never be able to see a game in person unless they're visiting someone else's arena. Ok - so more of you want to go to games - that makes you, Joe Leaf fan, a better hockey fan than me, why?
I read a couple of years ago that it was cheaper for a Leaf fan to buy a pair of tickets for a Leaf game in Carolina, fly down, watch the game, stay overnight in a hotel, and fly back, than it was to buy a pair of tickets and go to a game in Toronto.

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
I read a couple of years ago that it was cheaper for a Leaf fan to buy a pair of tickets for a Leaf game in Carolina, fly down, watch the game, stay overnight in a hotel, and fly back, than it was to buy a pair of tickets and go to a game in Toronto.
Yup and that’s why you see a lot of leaf fans at road games, especially on the east coast. Much cheaper to drive or fly to a game in Buffalo or Ottawa, or even NJ or NY. Also because of the price of tickets, the arena in Toronto is very corporate and isn’t as raucous as other places. I was at the leafs Vegas game on Valentine’s Day and it was 40% leaf fans, was a great time.

No offense to the coli which is one of the best arenas in the league, but that game was a party from start to finish. Game ops there do a great job.

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
Isles fans should be feeling confident about tomorrow night - the leafs are down 2 d-men (Gardiner and Dermott, who got hurt tonight), down Kadri, and have the backup goalie Sparks in net.

Should be a great game regardless, and I’ll be there. The environment should be top notch.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
I am Leaf fan who lives in the city and goes to a lot of Ranger games, I found the above hysterical. I legitimately laughed. That said the Potvin Sucks chant mystifies me. I cannot understand how it still exists, I respect that they have kept something so absurdly random around for what, nearly 40 years? I love that without fail, at every Ranger game, you over hear at least two people asking what they're chanting, or someone explaining the chant. It's just so bizarre.

That said, the Devils fan version of the Potvin sucks chant is more cringeworthy than the News 12 "Dear John" video.
I view the Garden's Potvin Sucks chant as the ultimate respect. Still getting under their skin all these years later.

I actually respect Ranger fans more than these young Leaf fans. The kind of diatribe that they allow themselves to go into is amusing. Especially that their team haven't even won a round in a long time and 90% have never seen a Cup. They feel very entitled, mostly from getting high drafts picks for years for sucking for so long.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I'm not even sure if the Islanders get blown out by the Leafs and lose more ground then eventually drop out of first place will LL wake up out of his stupor.

As far as Tavares is concerned I'm expecting that same warm reception Islander fans gave to Hamonic the other night.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
my rule of thumb...be loud, and say what's on your mind without embarrassing the fan base. Make sure pajama boy knows he made a mistake for leaving. No throwing stuff on the ice, no burning jerseys, kill him with boos and chants.
I honestly think it will not bother him because sometimes I wonder if he is a robot and probably just not capable of showing much emotions other than during those big life event moment (wedding, child, family deaths, winning the SC and so on).

I do not have problem with people being honest with their feelings as long as expressed in a civil and tolerable manner and I also do not have any problem if any fans want to cheer for him. I only have problem with people pretend to be something they are not. Please though do not provoke any argument or fight with any Toronto visiting fans especially if they are with elderly people or children. Do not leave a bad impressions on your visitors.

As for the TML fans I do not think they should tell how Isles fans should react at all as they have no idea how most of the Isles fans felt in July and they need to quit making it worst by constantly putting down the Tavares less Isels team and putting the blame of JT leaving on the current Isles owners and Lou. First of all the owners can't control what JT wanted to do & they took a gamble because they did not want be the first one in a long time to trade a #1 overall pick away and risk losing season ticket sales and secondly most of the damages were done by previous owners & management group (GM/Coach). I bet if they traded JT the fan base will be real mad at them back then too.

Actually Lou has done a great job so far, He signed one of the best NHL coaching staff and drafted well in their first two rounds and brought in some vets that improved goal tending, the PK & team defense. Yes Snow did drafted a few players who turn out but he also had blundered on some of the drafts too and the worst thing he did was kept the same coach for way too long. The team would have done better too if they did not have the arena issue which again is not fault of the current owners. No other team in recent year has that kind of issue except Arizona so the other fans need to give the Isles fans some break.

I do not hate the TML team at all as Matthews and Marners are two of my favorite young players in NHL, just hope their fans can go easy on the Isles fan base and let tomorrow be. However Isles will remain my #1 NHL team followed closely by Tampa, SJ and Jets.

This team is a work in progress and as long as a foundation is there - a good system, the culture of teamwork and accountability, you can gradually add the right talent mix to complete the full transition into a championship team. Isles fans can look forward to a bright future because I think this is just the beginning of something good here.

Cheer your heart out for your Isles team tomorrow and this is the best way to support those players and coach who deserved so for their hard efforts this year. As for JT just treat him as a side show. He should no longer be your main focus but for the TML fans.

Last edited:

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Regardless of the outcome. W or L, I see a fall from NYI. Back to earth. They may be fighting for a WC spot come April. If I’m wrong, I will GLADLY eat crow.

Reactions: Newsworthy

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I honestly think it will not bother him because sometimes I wonder if he is a robot and probably just not capable of showing much emotions other than during those big life event moment (wedding, child, family deaths, winning the SC and so on).

I do not have problem with people being honest with their feelings as long as expressed in a civil and tolerable manner and I also do not have any problem if any fans want to cheer for him. I only have problem with people pretend to be something they are not. Please though do not provoke any argument or fight with any Toronto visiting fans especially if they are with elderly people or children. Do not leave a bad impressions on your visitors.

As for the TML fans I do not think they should tell how Isles fans should react at all as they have no idea how most of the Isles fans felt in July and they need to quit making it worst by constantly putting down the Tavares less Isels team and putting the blame of JT leaving on the current Isles owners and Lou. First of all the owners can't control what JT wanted to do & they took a gamble because they did not want be the first one in a long time to trade a #1 overall pick away and risk losing season ticket sales and secondly most of the damages were done by previous owners & management group (GM/Coach). I bet if they traded JT the fan base will be real mad at them back then too.

Actually Lou has done a great job so far, He signed one of the best NHL coaching staff and drafted well in their first two rounds and brought in some vets that improved goal tending, the PK & team defense. Yes Snow did drafted a few players who turn out but he also had blundered on some of the drafts too and the worst thing he did was kept the same coach for way too long. The team would have done better too if they did not have the arena issue which again is not fault of the current owners. No other team in recent year has that kind of issue except Arizona so the other fans need to give the Isles fans some break.

I do not hate the TML team at all as Matthews and Marners are two of my favorite young players in NHL, just hope their fans can go easy on the Isles fan base and let tomorrow be. However Isles will remain my #1 NHL team followed closely by Tampa, SJ and Jets.

I really enjoyed reading your post. One thing I would like to add is the thought of trading Tavares even if he went to management saying he's not coming back.

I totally agree with what you said about that.

Now the return would be better than Mark Stone however what happens if we fast forward to this season.

Can NY trade Tavares if they are in first place?

If the answer is yes because we know we can't re-sign him than why?

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Isles fans should be feeling confident about tomorrow night - the leafs are down 2 d-men (Gardiner and Dermott, who got hurt tonight), down Kadri, and have the backup goalie Sparks in net.

Should be a great game regardless, and I’ll be there. The environment should be top notch.

I'm actually feeling the opposite. The recent crap play has me down and has taken a bit of my excitement away from the game. Obviously not all of it, but some. This is different than when we met them earlier in the year. Everything's dried up and now we can't buy a goal, and the Leafs are scoring in bunches.

Oh well, hope I'm wrong.

I also have to watch this one on delay, which totally sucks. Just confirming, this isn't national right?

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
my rule of thumb...be loud, and say what's on your mind without embarrassing the fan base. Make sure pajama boy knows he made a mistake for leaving. No throwing stuff on the ice, no burning jerseys, kill him with boos and chants.
I doubt Tavares is ever going to think he made a "mistake" considering it is a place he fantasized about playing for years, if anything tonight is a game he has been dreading since he decided in 2017 that he was going to be on the Leafs in 2018

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Another fun fact about that game - an Islander fan was arrested for stealing a glove from the Islanders bench after the game ended.

Man arrested in theft of Isles' hockey glove
full picture is funnier, and I always wondered what his charge was
NYI.pic.jpg.644x0_q85.jpg

Reactions: bigtim1988

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Regardless of the outcome. W or L, I see a fall from NYI. Back to earth. They may be fighting for a WC spot come April. If I’m wrong, I will GLADLY eat crow.
Unfortunately, you are probably right. I hope we are both wrong. Team needed a jolt after playing their butts off for the whole season and management failed them.

Islander Class

Jun 30, 2018
South Carolina
Respect the Canadian national anthem

Absolutely THIS. Took a trip to Normandy a few years ago, and in addition to everything on the US/UK side- was deeply moved by Canada’s sacrifice. Among other things there were Canadian units that the Germans captured in the early days of the campaign that could have arguably blown the whole operation (at least helped the Germans figure out where to send their armor) had they talked- but instead were gunned down one by one by the Waffen SS. 19-23 year old kids. Some of our best allies (along with the Brits, Australians, etc.) when it really counts.

Not to mention Potvin, Trottier, Bossy, Gillies, Nystrom, Smith, Arbour, Torrey, Turgeon, Barzal, Trotz, etc. and countless other important Islanders through history... all Canadian. Think!!!

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Not to mention Potvin, Trottier, Bossy, Gillies, Nystrom, Smith, Arbour, Torrey, Turgeon, Barzal, Trotz, etc. and countless other important Islanders through history... all Canadian. Think!!!
Unfortunately, that may not be an available option with a certain percentage of the crowd, and if 500 people boo the story will be "Isles Fans Boo Canadian Anthem". Hopefully not - we'll see.

Reactions: Lame Lambert

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Unfortunately, that may not be an available option with a certain percentage of the crowd, and if 500 people boo the story will be "Isles Fans Boo Canadian Anthem". Hopefully not - we'll see.
The non-brain dead fans will just have to sing over the boos if it comes to it

Reactions: doublechili
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad