Pre-Game Talk: Isles v Emotion Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevynadams42

May 2, 2010
I'm gonna go with the under here. There will be tension, there will be harsh words, but people don't fight much at hockey games anymore....except maybe in Philly. I remember the last Isles/Rags game at the Coliseum and was ready for the yellow jackets to be ushering ppl out left and right, and I didn't see one punch thrown. Honestly, when was the last time we've seen a fight at a game? I've seen one at Barclays but that wasn't really hockey related.

(but I'm not really all that confident in that prediction....things could go south very quickly, of course)

There won't be any fights. Leaf fans (Canadians (of which I am both)) are far too timid. Additionally, the kind of people who fight at hockey games don't make expensive travel plans for a weeknight regular season hockey game. Moreover, maybe it's just me -and maybe I am more cognizant of it because I both live here and generally avoid confrontation- but no Canadian is getting risking getting arrested and possibly never allowed back in this country over a hockey game.

kevynadams42

May 2, 2010
Are they really claiming that? Lol. This isn't a Capuano/Weight year, and this won't be an empty building. For many of them it will be their first experience at the Coliseum with a near playoff atmosphere and we will be way louder

I'm a Leaf fan. I went to Game 6 of the Isles/Caps series in 2015, the first final game at the Coliseum. Aside from it being an incredible hockey game, and my former fav Leaf Nikolai Kulemin scoring the winner on a bizarre play (JT got destroyed right before the goal), I am pretty sure my ears are still ringing. I have only experienced two louder sporting events.

Fwiw Isles fans threw those plastic beer bottles at the caps as they left the ice.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
I'm a Leaf fan. I went to Game 6 of the Isles/Caps series in 2015, the first final game at the Coliseum. Aside from it being an incredible hockey game, and my former fav Leaf Nikolai Kulemin scoring the winner on a bizarre play (JT got destroyed right before the goal), I am pretty sure my ears are still ringing. I have only experienced two louder sporting events.

Fwiw Isles fans threw those plastic beer bottles at the caps as they left the ice.

Another fun fact about that game - an Islander fan was arrested for stealing a glove from the Islanders bench after the game ended.

Man arrested in theft of Isles' hockey glove

Reactions: sabremike

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Are they really claiming that? Lol. This isn't a Capuano/Weight year, and this won't be an empty building. For many of them it will be their first experience at the Coliseum with a near playoff atmosphere and we will be way louder
Yep, I never really thought there was a Leafs presence at games...like ever. MTL fans sure but never Toronto.

And it's going to be loud and crazy tomorrow.

Leaf fans wouldn't understand.. they can brag there team has 7K more fans per game but if you were listening on TV you would never know that we had 7K less off volume as it sounds like they have 2K not 20K at their games.

Reactions: The Lighthouse

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Did they fix this? Or was this thing really just lipstick on a pig?

Are the sightlines the same?

Everything is exactly the same except for: 1) Metal fins glued to the outside of the arena; 2) Arena painted dark, so it's now "Nassau Coliseum, Brooklyn Edition;" 3) Around 2,000 seats removed by where the end of the 2nd section was - you can walk around the entire length of the arena on the inside where those seats were; 4) different food options; 5) banners rearranged.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Yep, I never really thought there was a Leafs presence at games...like ever. MTL fans sure but never Toronto.

And it's going to be loud and crazy tomorrow.

Leaf fans wouldn't understand.. they can brag there team has 7K more fans per game but if you were listening on TV you would never know that we had 7K less off volume as it sounds like they have 2K not 20K at their games.

I see them posting insults about attendance on Twitter, and it's funny because I know most of them will never be able to see a game in person unless they're visiting someone else's arena. Ok - so more of you want to go to games - that makes you, Joe Leaf fan, a better hockey fan than me, why?

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Pierre MaGuire: "Guys, the fans are throwing fake snakes on the ice. They're saying Tavares is a "snake". This is really something!"

Followed by some information about where one of the players went to high school - information that no one asked about.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I sure hope that Isles fans at the game tomorrow "ignore" Tavares as much as possible and instead cheer for the good stuff here like for "Mat Bar-zal..."

kevynadams42

May 2, 2010
Given the bathroom situation at Nassau, it's as if the fans stole most of the bathrooms when it opened.

I got a souvenir soda at Nassau in the last season (thought it would be a good keepsake). It was translucent baby blue plastic thinner than old film and the bottom was a paper soda cup's bottom glued to the plastic. So bush league that it was more hysterical than offensive.

Reactions: periferal

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I finally watched that News12 video tonight while sitting in my car at my kid's soccer practice. I was alone in a corner of the lot and figured I was safe to watch The Most Embarassing Video Ever.

I've gotta say - it wasn't really that bad. What others thought was "cringey" I thought was maybe more campy or a little corny. Maybe I was just expecting worse. But it was basically just fans, not actors, reading what they wrote, badly, and hamming it up. Big deal. I'm actually more offended that Leafs fans were so offended by it. Get a grip.

Fans should do what will best help the Isles tomorrow night. I don't really care what TOR fans/media think, because they've already made up their minds and pre-written their stories and will be offended no matter what. Wankers.

Reactions: The Lighthouse

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
I finally watched that News12 video tonight while sitting in my car at my kid's soccer practice. I was alone in a corner of the lot and figured I was safe to watch The Most Embarassing Video Ever.

I've gotta say - it wasn't really that bad. What others thought was "cringey" I thought was maybe more campy or a little corny. Maybe I was just expecting worse. But it was basically just fans, not actors, reading what they wrote, badly, and hamming it up. Big deal. I'm actually more offended that Leafs fans were so offended by it. Get a grip.

Fans should do what will best help the Isles tomorrow night. I don't really care what TOR fans/media think, because they've already made up their minds and pre-written their stories and will be offended no matter what. Wankers.

I've been feeling the same way since I watched it. What is the big deal? If I'm not mistaken, at one point this franchise was using its Stadium Series as thirds with white patches sewn over the Stadium Series logo on the shoulder. If this is the most embarrassing thing that happens this season, we're ok.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Everything is exactly the same except for: 1) Metal fins glued to the outside of the arena; 2) Arena painted dark, so it's now "Nassau Coliseum, Brooklyn Edition;" 3) Around 2,000 seats removed by where the end of the 2nd section was - you can walk around the entire length of the arena on the inside where those seats were; 4) different food options; 5) banners rearranged.
Fins? To make it go faster, or was someone just a big fan of the '57 Chevy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad