New York Islanders: Isles Sign Martinek

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Panic trade? Pnut, they have needed to pull a trade for a defenseman for YEARS. The problem at hand simply highlights the organization's complacency and or idiocy. Having to reach out to Martinek at all is an embarrassment. They knew it was going to take too long to develop the defensive prospects to fill all the holes on the blue line, yet they ignored the issue hoping they could bandaid their way into the playoffs this year...

And it has blown up in their faces. There is no 'brash' in doing something they needed to do for this long. At this point it would be more like, 'about ******* time.'

Or perhaps they don't want to trade away pieces until they know what they have. Perhaps they don't want to rush into making hasty decisions on getting one defender who isn't going to solve all of our defensive woes as quickly as most of you seem to think.

A goaltender is an instant impact, one defenseman is not going to have the same impact immediately.

Plus, all these poor decisions have the team in playoff position right now.

Because no one ever traded for a top 4 defenseman. Ever.

If you expect a team whose plan has already been laid out as not needing/wanting/going to go after a defenseman to suddenly do so because one of their players goes down for a short period of time, you're insane.

I'd like you to go through the history books and see how likely it is for trades to occur in October. Then narrow that down to players who are considered top 4 defenseman. Let me know what you find.

I am in no way claiming we don't need a defenseman, but am instead saying that Vis going down and the signing of Martinek are entirely unrelated to the teams need of acquiring a defenseman. They are not the same issue at all, and the team made the right choice in this instance.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Or perhaps they don't want to trade away pieces until they know what they have. Perhaps they don't want to rush into making hasty decisions on getting one defender who isn't going to solve all of our defensive woes as quickly as most of you seem to think.

A goaltender is an instant impact, one defenseman is not going to have the same impact immediately.

Plus, all these poor decisions have the team in playoff position right now.
One defenseman would have immediate results when all of your pairings are a mess to start with because they lacked that guy prior to losing Vis. This problem did not start with the loss of Viz, it started when they discovered a need for a real shut down defenseman to get Amac off the pairing with Hamonic. Defensive pairs are unlike forward lines - only two per unit. One guy is a very big deal, and not having one guy can cause every pair below that one to suffer from everyone else being bumped to a slot that is beyond their comfort zone. Just look at Amac playing ridiculous minutes next to Hamonic. He's a third pair, at best #4 on a mediocre club, yet now he is getting top pair time. You called me insane? THAT is ******* insane. Carkner with Hickey? Now we bring back a deteriorating martinek who is one check away from the hospital at all times? That is insane.

If you expect a team whose plan has already been laid out as not needing/wanting/going to go after a defenseman to suddenly do so because one of their players goes down for a short period of time, you're insane.
Insane? I would be insane to call the management of the rebuild "smart" for rebuilding while neglecting the defense for the first what, 3 years of the rebuild? They put themselves in a position where they had an initial wave of forwards earn roster spots then afterwards suddenly cared about drafting quality defensemen. We took a shotgun approach with forwards, and always took the shiny forward the first few 1st rounds we had a high pick in, and tried to get cute with a gem here and there on defense. Thank goodness they at least got Hamonic right, but total fail on CdH which was their hail mary makeup pass to bring in another possible top pair defenseman. Bang, blew up in their faces big time, and don't even start me on Ness who would make a great extra on the movie Under the Rainbow. Now we wait for the kiddos to mature into top 4, sometime this decade.

I'd like you to go through the history books and see how likely it is for trades to occur in October. Then narrow that down to players who are considered top 4 defenseman. Let me know what you find.
Reread what I wrote Tryc. My beef is that the culmination of winding up here after YEARS of knowing what we needed to do and not doing it got us into this mess. If you read my words and hear, "Right now rush out and get a #2 for Okposo, Regin, and a pack of cigs" then you are failing to grasp my message. They should have traded or signed a top 4 guy over the past 2 years. Sorry boss if you think that wasn't at all possible because it was, and it should have happened but cheapskate and dingbat didn't do it.

Right now they and the club are paying the price. And the next time Hamonic or Vis go down they will pay the price again. Oh right, I guess no one saw that one coming when you look at this roster's blueline a year ago, two years ago, this past June 30th, etc...

I am in no way claiming we don't need a defenseman...
Then what are you saying? Because that is exactly what I am saying yet you are disagreeing with me. They should have taken care of the defenseman they needed for the past two years SOMETIME in the past two years. Now we are seeing the fruit of their choice not to. Now is the best time to point that out, and the sad thing is I get the impression they didn't contingency plan for something like this happening. Doesn't that strike you as odd or strange or probably ****** stupid?

Last edited:

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
i have to laugh at how every thread gets turned in to a, "this team sucks" thread.

or a, "the owner sucks" thread.

or a, "the GM sucks" thread.

or a, "the coach sucks" thread.

that sucks...

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
One defenseman would have immediate results when all of your pairings are a mess to start with because they lacked that guy prior to losing Vis. This problem did not start with the loss of Viz, it started when they discovered a need for a real shut down defenseman to get Amac off the pairing with Hamonic. Defensive pairs are unlike forward lines - only two per unit. One guy is a very big deal, and not having one guy can cause every pair below that one to suffer from everyone else being bumped to a slot that is beyond their comfort zone. Just look at Amac playing ridiculous minutes next to Hamonic. He's a third pair, at best #4 on a mediocre club, yet now he is getting top pair time. You called me insane? THAT is ******* insane. Carkner with Hickey? Now we bring back a deteriorating martinek who is one check away from the hospital at all times? That is insane.

I understand how defensive pairings work, but one player is not going to solve our defensive woes with the personnel we have currently.

Insane? I would be insane to call the management of of the rebuild "smart" for rebuilding while neglecting the defense for the first what, 3 years of the rebuild? They put themselves in a position where they had an initial wave of forwards earn roster spots then cared about drafting quality defensemen. We took a shotgun approach with forwards, and always took the shiny forward the first few 1st rounds we had a high pick in, and tried to get cute with a gem here and there. Thank goodness they at least got Hasmonic right, but total fail on CdH which was their hail mary makeup pass to bring in another possible top pair defenseman. Bang, blew up in their faces big time. Now we wait for the kiddos to mature into top 4.

I didn't say they were smart, I said that they have pretty much outlined their unwillingness to make a move, so expecting one at this point in time or using this event as an excuse to jump all over management is insane.

Reread what I wrote Tryc. My beef is that the culmination of winding up here after YEARS of knowing what we needed to do and not doing it got us into this mess. If you read my words and hear, "Right now rush out and get a #2 for Okposo, Regin, and a pack of cigs" then you are failing to grasp my message. They should have traded or signed a top 4 guy over the past 2 years. Sorry boss if you think that wasn't at all possible because it was, and it should have happened but cheapskate and dingbat didn't do it.

It should have been addressed, just like the goaltending situation. But, this thread, this topic, Martinek, they aren't the things to be angry at in this situation. Martinek is the smart move in the current situation, regardless of whether or not the team should have addressed our D concerns at an earlier date.

Then what are you saying? Because that is exactly what I am saying yet you are disagreeing with me.

I agree with the idea that we need a goalie and a D. But I will not jump all over management at the move of bringing Martinek on board right now, which is something you seem bitter about having to do.

Applaud them (somewhat) for making the right move for the team right now and handling this situation correctly.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I have no problem seeing the team add Marty when in a pinch.

One look at Bridgeport and you can see that none of those Dmen have really 'earned' a call-up at this juncture.

And it's not time for a big trade of Dmen - as if any team is currently flashing around top 4 Dmen for trade at this juncture in the season.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Applaud them (somewhat) for making the right move for the team right now and handling this situation correctly.
I am unhappy this situation exists in the first place because it should have been avoided.
And it's not time for a big trade of Dmen - as if any team is currently flashing around top 4 Dmen for trade at this juncture in the season.
That may not be 100% true this particular year. There are several teams above the cap right now, or so close they need breathing room. I am not expecting Duncan Keith, but I wouldn't say nothing can be done either. Everyone insisting it would never happen right now lead me to the cap issues.

Bruins, Kings, Flyers, Pens, and Sharks...

The Rags, Canes, Caps & Wings as well, at least on paper.

It looks like the injury list game is keeping some of them from crossing the line, maybe all of them. I don't know what the red line is for this, whether it is the all star game, the mid point of the salary period... or what. But, based on the CBA and the raw numbers why wouldn't one of them want to try and work with a club with needs now? Maybe you need until the end of November for a club like the Flyers to throw in the towel and try to save money but you would think something would have to give somewhere, and that these clubs would be willing to entertain offers at some point that allows them to get under the cap.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I am unhappy this situation exists in the first place because it should have been avoided.

Be unhappy that they didn't get a D-man in the offseason. Don't be unhappy that they are bringing in Martinek.

That may not be 100% true this particular year. There are several teams above the cap right now, or so close they need breathing room. I am not expecting Duncan Keith, but I wouldn't say nothing can be done either. Everyone insisting it would never happen right now lead me to the cap issues.

Bruins, Kings, Flyers, Pens, and Sharks...

The Rags, Canes, Caps & Wings as well, at least on paper.

It looks like the injury list game is keeping some of them from crossing the line, maybe all of them. I don't know what the red line is for this, whether it is the all star game, the mid point of the salary period... or what. But, based on the CBA and the raw numbers why wouldn't one of them want to try and work with a club with needs now? Maybe you need until the end of November for a club like the Flyers to throw in the towel and try to save money but you would think something would have to give somewhere, and that these clubs would be willing to entertain offers at some point that allows them to get under the cap.

Teams won't make major moves just to get under the cap right now, unless they plan on blowing their teams up or are giving up on the season.

Even the Flyers aren't going to do anything until they are absolutely buried in the standings. Their ownership is pissed and have threatened the players. I live in the Philly media market and it's really mind blowing the way these guys think.

The Islanders would need a team willing to trade a quality player, who is struggling in the standings, up against the cap, and doesn't want to retain that player for the future. Then I think we'd have an issue of what kind of player do we trade for, a #1 or a top 4? If it's not a #1, I wouldn't want to move our prospects for them because we'll just have a cluster of mid level D.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
"Buy low/Sell high" time is around the trade deadline, when we can possibly get the right blueliner. Not now. Now is when you find the peculiar stuations if possible, where a young defenseman is on the outs with his team {Streit?} or tearing up a league in the minors/abroad. Snow left us shallow on D and in net....so we wait.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I haven't read 5 pages of I'm sure.. lunacy..

But when you have a defense as thin/sad as ours is (WITH Viz)..and then we lose Vis..

How could we have a valid debate of bringing in a veteran to replace him who knows the team and coach?

I dont think anyone debates our need to bring in SOLID Dmen -- but is anyone really that much against bring Marty back to help out?

HAVE WE LOST OUR MINDS ALREADY? ITS NOT EVEN HALLOWEEN FOR EFF'S SAKE!!!!

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls

But when you have a defense as thin/sad as ours is (WITH Viz)..and then we lose Vis..

How could we have a valid debate of bringing in a veteran to replace him who knows the team and coach?

I dont think anyone debates our need to bring in SOLID Dmen -- but is anyone really that much against bring Marty back to help out?

I am. I honestly can't believe that we don't have a better option.

Sideshow Bob

Nov 18, 2008
springfield prison
Happy to have Marty back. Only got to watch 3rd period tonight, but like what I saw of him. Played smart, good positioning, 2 assists, the second one was a nice play to hold the puck in at the blue line and feed PMB in front.

I was hoping to see him wearing #24 though. I know last year he chose 4 because Boyes had already been given #24 before he signed on at training camp. Anyone know why he stuck with 4 instead of the number he's had the majority of his career?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I was hoping to see him wearing #24 though. I know last year he chose 4 because Boyes had already been given #24 before he signed on at training camp. Anyone know why he stuck with 4 instead of the number he's had the majority of his career?

Probably figured 24 didn't do him much favors when it came to injuries. lol

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Happy to have Marty back. Only got to watch 3rd period tonight, but like what I saw of him. Played smart, good positioning, 2 assists, the second one was a nice play to hold the puck in at the blue line and feed PMB in front.

they should just hibernate 24 for a few seasons.

I always liked Martinek's game. Glad he's back.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Don't quit your day job.

We could do worse than him. However we shouldn't be reduced to reaching that far off the reservation this early in the season after one injury. Boo.

Martinek had a decent game tonight, btw. Hopefully he can stay out of the hospital while Viz is gone.

MTK

Sep 26, 2007
West Islip
I am. I honestly can't believe that we don't have a better option.

Martinek was the best defenseman for the Islanders to sign IMO. He knows the system and is a solid defender.

I am not sure if people think the Islanders were going to make a trade but that was not happening. As well Martinek is a better option than anyone we have in the AHL at this moment.

As well, the fact that Donovan should be dropped to the AHL for his development and he is way better option than Carkner. Good move.

Martinek is a solid 6-7th defenseman for the Islanders.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
All the folks who told me a trade for an impact player can't go down in the Fall.... I guess you are just going to have to re-evaluate that position now HUH?

I am kidding of course, but Snow just confirmed that as it may be rare, it is not impossible.

I am just surprised it was Vanek, and not say Miller or a defenseman. In fact, this perplexes me a bit.,..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad