New York Islanders: Isles Sign Martinek

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=688177

The New York Islanders announced today that defenseman Radek Martinek has agreed to a one-year deal.

Martinek, 37, has appeared in 473 career National Hockey League games, including 466 with the Islanders. A native of Havlicko Brod, Czech Republic, Martinek has 25 goals and 82 assists for 107 career points. He’s also appeared in 11 career Stanley Cup Playoff games, all with the Islanders.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
He's better than Hickey and Carkner, maybe Strait too.

Definitely not better than Hickey, probably better than Carkner.

Given our minimal defensive depth, it makes more sense to keep him on the roster and stash him in the press box all season (after Visnovsky returns) than it does to keep Boulton.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006

Given our minimal defensive depth, it makes more sense to keep him on the roster and stash him in the press box all season than it does to keep Boulton.

Agree 100%. He's smart and steady while not as quick as he used to be - he doesn't hurt that much. Decent depth pickup.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Glad that Martinek is such a trooper for this franchise. He's been someone who has showed a lot of loyalty.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Not surprised a all....Marty at least knows how to play defense. the only question with him is age and physical condition...

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
And here you go again...the LOWEST cost option. :shakehead

Be fair, at least he can play. And he's only a placeholder until Vis comes back I'd imagine so they don't have to play Carkner and Donovan night in and out.

patrick

Feb 10, 2012

Given our minimal defensive depth, it makes more sense to keep him on the roster and stash him in the press box all season (after Visnovsky returns) than it does to keep Boulton.

I respectfully disagree, he's better than Hickey. Hickey runs around out there like a chicken with no head half the time. It results in defensive breakdowns with very little offense is created. I want to liove the guy but he's not good.

Martinek, if nothing else, will give a solid veteran presence out there who will play a smart game and is physically stronger.

I just hope this is not at the expense of Donovan's playing time.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
1024805-punch_out_wii_wiki_prop_glass_joe_01_super.png

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Gives Cappy some more options on the defensive side (I can already see Donavon being benched).

Always have had a soft spot for Radek, he is a great guy for this franchise and stuck around until we needed him this season. Better option that Carkner at least.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Good short term signing...not a long term solution nor is it intended to be. Hopefully he will help settle them down for now.

Oh...and they really need to keep Donavon on the ice.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
I respectfully disagree, he's better than Hickey. Hickey runs around out there like a chicken with no head half the time. It results in defensive breakdowns with very little offense is created. I want to liove the guy but he's not good.

Martinek, if nothing else, will give a solid veteran presence out there who will play a smart game and is physically stronger.

I just hope this is not at the expense of Donovan's playing time.

Hickey is playing very good hockey right now so I don't even know what you are writing about!?!??! And the physically stronger part, we'll see once Martinek gets hurt AGAIN. I am not a Martinek supporter, the guy is done, sorry.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Does any team address a defensemen going down with a concussion by making some big trade for another one?

Expecting anything other than a cheap fix is just being naive to the situation.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Does any team address a defensemen going down with a concussion by making some big trade for another one?

Expecting anything other than a cheap fix is just being naive to the situation.

well said. and even if we wanted to make a big move, who would be available at the moment? it'll be a few months at least until the pending UFAs even become available.

dx3711

Mar 25, 2009
New York
Always loved Radek.

He should be a place holder till Vis gets back but I hope Donovan stays in the line up.

Like already said...I hope they keep Radek and cut boulton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad