New York Islanders: Isles Sign Martinek

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
Well if we were going to go the cheap route than i am Happy at least they brought in one of my favorite Islanders ever. he was solid last year in a limited role and it cant hurt.
however this is wang and snow putting their fingers in the hole to plug up the leak.

they really need to make a move if we are going to progress, for this season and beyond.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
So now, if and when Viz comes back, someone needs to go. So who will it be? Will they waive Boulton? Martinek? Do they demote Nelson or Donovan?

Pnut

I believe that the Isles management doing this move means that Lube is not going to be gone for too long and just in case-he knows the system. He is not a long term solution.

Doing a big trade is a panic move. Anyone that thinks that THIS EARLY in a season (3-3-3, thats is about 1/9th of a season) that the Isles or any team in the NHL would make a brash decision like a large trade for a vet dman is not dealing with reality. Thankfully these fans or Mad Mike are not the GM's of this team. It is no where near panic time.

This might be a good time to see someone step up, so when Lube comes back he can be a legit #2. We need it like we need Nabby to be steady and Poo-Poo as a good backup. The goals will come (this is not the 2008-2009 Isles anymore, so getting a sniper for JT should be on the back burner, but I digress).

:eek:,
Pnut

Last edited by a moderator:

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
People on here think its a panic move for trading for a top 4 dman? I think one of the biggest needs on this team even with Visnovsky in the lineup is a legit top 2 or even top 4 dman. Are defense was already thin with Vis in the lineup and very small. Yes, obviously a goalie is another problem.

I want a guy like Jared Cowen.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
The signing was only for 600k....I think last year we signed him to 600k for one year and it was only half a season.

Basically the same contract, but NO bonus this time around. I do NOT expect Martinek to play all that many games. Unless of course (knock on wood) we experience the stupidness of injuries we had 4 years ago.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I could not agree more. Hickey and Carkner are brutal and Strait is not much better. Martinek provides a steady game. People hate him because he gets hurt but at this point we are only looking to him to fill in when others are hurt.
:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

Wedregast

Mar 26, 2009
This is fine. Martinek is here for injury insurance, for when Vish or anyone else is out with injury or sickness. The rest of the time he will sit. Fine by me.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
no hate from me on this.....hes a good guy, and will be steady in bottom pairing minutes...

to be honest, with 5 min to go in a game up by a goal, i would rather him on the ice than carkner and strait......donovan better still play

the only thing that bothers me, is i feel he is the last remaining player still on this roster that reminds me of the doom and gloom days....i want all those players gone

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Strait not at practice today, upper body injury. Martinek could get thrown right into the fire tomorrow night.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/no-rushing-back-for-lubomir-visnovsky-1.6303646

"Lubomir Visnovsky was scheduled to have his concussion symptoms evaluated Tuesday by team doctors at Nassau Coliseum, but the Isles defenseman will not be rushing back to action.

He's on injured reserve until at least Saturday and concussion protocol dictates that he be evaluated after each of his next few steps -- first doing off-ice work, then on-ice. So it would be optimistic to expect Visnovsky back before the Islanders host the Rangers Tuesday."

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/no-rushing-back-for-lubomir-visnovsky-1.6303646

"Lubomir Visnovsky was scheduled to have his concussion symptoms evaluated Tuesday by team doctors at Nassau Coliseum, but the Isles defenseman will not be rushing back to action.

He's on injured reserve until at least Saturday and concussion protocol dictates that he be evaluated after each of his next few steps -- first doing off-ice work, then on-ice. So it would be optimistic to expect Visnovsky back before the Islanders host the Rangers Tuesday."

better news than i expected....if true i would want to see this.....

Hamonic-Martinek
Vis-Hickey
Donovan-Amac

This way we dont have to play anyone an extreme amount....just play everyone around 18-23 min

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
better news than i expected....if true i would want to see this.....

Hamonic-Martinek
Vis-Hickey
Donovan-Amac

This way we dont have to play anyone an extreme amount....just play everyone around 18-23 min

You have a BUNCH of players in their wrong position. Hamonic, Vis, and Donovan play the right side. Amac and Hickey play the left side. No way Amac goes from playing 26 minutes a game to the 3rd pairing nor should he.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
You have a BUNCH of players in their wrong position. Hamonic, Vis, and Donovan play the right side. Amac and Hickey play the left side. No way Amac goes from playing 26 minutes a game to the 3rd pairing nor should he.

you missed my point in that we effectively wouldnt really have a 3rd pairing....essentially 3 even parings, with hamonic martinek being the most defensively sound...

i really think its time to split up hamonic amac

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
you missed my point in that we effectively wouldnt really have a 3rd pairing....essentially 3 even parings, with hamonic martinek being the most defensively sound...

i really think its time to split up hamonic amac
We shall see how defensively sound they will be tomorrow night without Vis and Strait.

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
I really don't mind signing Martinek as long as he's the 7th Dman. If he's playing games over Donnovan I'm going to be really upset.

Personally, I think Martinek is better than Hickey, Strait, Carkner AND Donovan. Obviously Donovan needs to develop, so he should stay, but Martinek should be a regular over Strait or Carkner.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I believe that the Isles management doing this move means that Lube is not going to be gone for too long and just in case-he knows the system. He is not a long term solution.

Doing a big trade is a panic move. Anyone that thinks that THIS EARLY in a season (3-3-3, thats is about 1/9th of a season) that the Isles or any team in the NHL would make a brash decision like a large trade for a vet dman is not dealing with reality. Thankfully these fans or Mad Mike are not the GM's of this team. It is no where near panic time.

This might be a good time to see someone step up, so when Lube comes back he can be a legit #2. We need it like we need Nabby to be steady and Poo-Poo as a good backup. The goals will come (this is not the 2008-2009 Isles anymore, so getting a sniper for JT should be on the back burner, but I digress).

:eek:,
Pnut

Panic trade? Pnut, they have needed to pull a trade for a defenseman for YEARS. The problem at hand simply highlights the organization's complacency and or idiocy. Having to reach out to Martinek at all is an embarrassment. They knew it was going to take too long to develop the defensive prospects to fill all the holes on the blue line, yet they ignored the issue hoping they could bandaid their way into the playoffs this year...

And it has blown up in their faces. There is no 'brash' in doing something they needed to do for this long. At this point it would be more like, 'about ******* time.'

It Was 4 to 1*

Mar 22, 2009
Panic trade? Pnut, they have needed to pull a trade for a defenseman for YEARS. The problem at hand simply highlights the organization's complacency and or idiocy. Having to reach out to Martinek at all is an embarrassment. They knew it was going to take too long to develop the defensive prospects to fill all the holes on the blue line, yet they ignored the issue hoping they could bandaid their way into the playoffs this year...

And it has blown up in their faces. There is no 'brash' in doing something they needed to do for this long. At this point it would be more like, 'about ******* time.'

top dmen grow on trees and are readily available apparently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad