New York Islanders: Isles Sign Martinek

Words Of Wisdom

Truth Speaker
Oct 20, 2011
Long Island.
I'm not surprised or upset about this signing, to me? This was an expected signing. He's a better option than Strait or Carkner, that's for sure. I don't mind it at all.

I'll be pissed if Jack continues to play Carkner over Donovan now, no excuses for it.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Radek has been slipping in ability and is a huge injury waiting to happen.

Way to not address a need Garf. Oh you cut your head off? Here's a bandaid...

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
There's still a guy like Ian White out there, I'd rather have him.

And that's fine, but acting as if Vis going down warrants a huge trade for a real defenseman who will be here long term is nonsense. This is a temporary move that will enable the staff to keep Donovan/Carkner not on the ice together if they don't want. It also doesn't matter if Martinek is injury prone, because he's not being signed to play 80 games. He's being signed for the short term and to give some more flexibility right now.

I'm amazed at how many people can't grasp this and are pissed at Snow for the signing. Yeah, signing a guy who knows the players, system, team, management, is pretty solid when he's playing, has been loyal with great character, etc. is sooooo horrible a move. Get real.

It Was 4 to 1*

Mar 22, 2009
There's still a guy like Ian White out there, I'd rather have him.

apparently ian white has attitude problems according to leafs and red wings fans.

martinek was signed because he already knows the isles system and is still a steady d-man (i thought he should've played more last year as well)

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
apparently ian white has attitude problems according to leafs and red wings fans.

martinek was signed because he already knows the isles system and is still a steady d-man (i thought he should've played more last year as well)

he has actually been taking part in practices too, right? logical choice.

Richie Daggers Crime

Rugged individualist
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
He was decent as a fill in the few times he dressed last season. Hopefully that carries over to this year.

No team is going to go pull the trigger on some huge trade just because a guy got hurt and is going to be out a while. They'll just try to make do until he gets back.

LotteryForLife*

Cut the cord with this guy for Christ's sake. There's a reason why no one else will sign him. He sucks

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Everyone *****ing about this being the "cheap move"..... I'm interested in what would be the more preferred decision? Because incase you haven't noticed, the FA period is over, there's slim pickings left...and it's far too early for teams to be sellers on the trade front.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Everyone *****ing about this being the "cheap move"..... I'm interested in what would be the more preferred decision? Because incase you haven't noticed, the FA period is over, there's slim pickings left...and it's far too early for teams to be sellers on the trade front.

For me, it's not so much that they should make a trade, but it reinforces the question of why is this team so afraid to play its young players? Whether it is the best move to bring a player up from BP in this exact instance is up for debate, but the fans' reaction is expected because this move replicates all of our other frustrating moves, which means it will be cast into the same net and provoke reaction.

Bouchard, Regin, Nabokov, Martinek, Carkner

Strome, Nelson, Poulin, Donovan, CDH, Reinhart

The recurring theme to me is what is frustrating. This team is petrified of any failure from a prospect! It's become very obvious. And what's worse than failure? This purgatory that we get in not knowing if anyone can rise to the occasion. I just don't want to see another calendar year pass by and STILL not know what we have in Poulin. If he plays against Pittsburgh, as his 2 out of 10 games (paced to 15 for the season), how the hell can we accurately and honestly critique his play? Pittsburgh, Chicago, and ride the bench every day between so you know you are cold. Give him a 35-45% role at least for now... jesus, let's see what we got! It isn't like the play of Nabokov, Regin, PMB, Carkner, etc., aren't giving you reasons to try for a number of players. But this team is committed to learn very little about what they have in their players year after year. A rebuild isn't just about waiting for the amount of time it takes, it's actually applying learnings during that time.

Back on topic, I'm not really that upset about Martinek in this case. A player gets injured and you have to react, and hopefully Martinek slots in at the BOTTOM, not where Vis was. But that's still up in the air, sadly.

This team is exposed for not bringing any defense in during the off-season while boasting the young depth. And now push to shove, not deciding to play them. We need some creative thinking in this management team. The moves, roster, lines, etc., don't need to be pre-decided by some sort of age, experience, seniority, whatever ranking. Look around the league. Young players are playing their way on to top 6s and top pairings and you are getting a great look at them. It doesn't mean they are there forever, but they are warranting it right NOW. Not with this team. It takes a LOT to get both upgraded and downgraded. Nothing outside the steady plan! It's like playing a high stakes no limit poker game and playing every hand exactly by the book. Sometimes you need to go for it. It's OK to fail in competitive environments, just fail quickly.

Nothing really wrong with this Martinek signing, it's just so......... predictable.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
For me, it's not so much that they should make a trade, but it reinforces the question of why is this team so afraid to play its young players? Whether it is the best move to bring a player up from BP in this exact instance is up for debate, but the fans' reaction is expected because this move replicates all of our other frustrating moves, which means it will be cast into the same net and provoke reaction.

The recurring theme to me is what is frustrating. This team is petrified of any failure from a prospect! It's become very obvious. And what's worse than failure? This purgatory that we get in not knowing if anyone can rise to the occasion. I just don't want to see another calendar year pass by and STILL not know what we have in Poulin. If he plays against Pittsburgh, as his 2 out of 10 games (paced to 15 for the season), how the hell can we accurately and honestly critique his play? Pittsburgh, Chicago, and ride the bench every day between so you know you are cold. Give him a 35-45% role at least for now... jesus, let's see what we got! It isn't like the play of Nabokov, Regin, PMB, Carkner, etc., aren't giving you reasons to try for a number of players. But this team is committed to learn very little about what they have in their players year after year. A rebuild isn't just about waiting for the amount of time it takes, it's actually applying learnings during that time.

Back on topic, I'm not really that upset about Martinek in this case. A player gets injured and you have to react, and hopefully Martinek slots in at the BOTTOM, not where Vis was. But that's still up in the air, sadly.

This team is exposed for not bringing any defense in during the off-season while boasting the young depth. And now push to shove, not deciding to play them. We need some creative thinking in this management team. The moves, roster, lines, etc., don't need to be pre-decided by some sort of age, experience, seniority, whatever ranking. Look around the league. Young players are playing their way on to top 6s and top pairings and you are getting a great look at them. It doesn't mean they are there forever, but they are warranting it right NOW. Not with this team. It takes a LOT to get both upgraded and downgraded. Nothing outside the steady plan! It's like playing a high stakes no limit poker game and playing every hand exactly by the book. Sometimes you need to go for it. It's OK to fail in competitive environments, just fail quickly.

Nothing really wrong with this Martinek signing, it's just so......... predictable.

I have no problem with that. I get the feeling that many here complaining wanted a sexier name though, not necessarily a prospect. Those guys aren't available right now though, that's my beef.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I respectfully disagree, he's better than Hickey. Hickey runs around out there like a chicken with no head half the time. It results in defensive breakdowns with very little offense is created. I want to liove the guy but he's not good.

Martinek, if nothing else, will give a solid veteran presence out there who will play a smart game and is physically stronger.

I just hope this is not at the expense of Donovan's playing time.

I think you are in the minority on this one. I also agree Hickey has been playing much better than most both defensively and stepping up in the play. He's been one of the few defenseman that can get us out of the zone safely and I'm not going to shoulder all the blame on him when he has an incompetent partner half the time. I like Hickey's game and you forget that defense is a team sport so when you think he is running around he's probably working overtime to correct some other fools error.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

Maybe we could get Chris Pronger from Philly. Sure the doctors haven't cleared him to play and he has double vision, but still has to be better than Carkner right?

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

They should have added the guy we needed in the summer, Jester. Martinek is simply salt in the wound that opened in July, that has been open for two years if you want to get technical about it. Having to go to Martinek is saddening, and maddening at the same time.

While I respect the posters to no end, I am not sure I agree some about bringing up the kids - no matter what catastrophe befalls the main club - if the Isle's brain trust want to keep certain ones down for what they think are the right reasons then I am all for trusting them on that. What I am ultimately peeved about is that we are in this spot to begin with. 100% yes, we got the **** rid of Streit and his defensive hole and we are better for it, BUT, they needed to improve on his position with size and defensive awareness and that simply did not happen. We backfilled with a rookie and have yet to even address the big need.

A big mistake? No, a big ******* mistake with giant blinking lights and dunce caps for the entire organization is what that was. You can't possibly expect posters to ignore the mistake when its outcome punches us square in the nose. There is no more relevant time to bring it up.

Last edited:

It Was 4 to 1*

Mar 22, 2009
http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/free-agents/2013-nhl-free-agent-defensemen/ so many game breakers!! :sarcasm:

you guys need to get real. just because we aren't the rangers and sign a big free agent every july 1st doesn't mean we're aren't trying to get better.

the only players i would have taken from last years ufa class are scuderi (signed with the penguins, former team, cup contenders) or maybe ference (i wouldn't have given him a 4 year deal) the year before that i would have taken bryan allen (decent player) or suter (way too expensive no way he was signing with us).

as for a trade route, there's no point for any team to trade a young top 4 dman, who is still under contract for any of our maybes on defense or offense (outside of nelson, strome, reinhart or pulock).

as for our prospects down in bridgeport, apparently joe finley is playing the best of the bunch. if the isles called up joe finley instead of signing martinek you guys would still be crying.

Aucoin3

Aug 9, 2005
He's better than Hickey and Carkner, maybe Strait too.

I could not agree more. Hickey and Carkner are brutal and Strait is not much better. Martinek provides a steady game. People hate him because he gets hurt but at this point we are only looking to him to fill in when others are hurt.

Ill tell you one think having Martinek out there is a world better than dehaan or ness or finley

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Either we are too paranoid and don't want to mess any prospect development OR the kids are actually not really ready. In this case, we could have done worse. At least we are confident about Martinek's playand know what to expect. Imagine if we went and signed Jurcina who IS still available and playing in the Czech league I believe.

SCBdude

SC Bern 1931
Sep 20, 2012
Eisstadion Allmend
I actually like this signing. He's decent defensively and knows the system.
And what other options where there?
At least we didn't sign Cam Barker

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006

What D-Man over in Bridgeport has shown that they are even worthy of a call up? From what I'm hearing it's been pretty ugly down there. I'm not even going to go near Reinhart or Pulock because as much as I wanted to see them here it was the right move(next year I expect one of them to be here).

I expect Donovan and Nelson to work their way in full time sooner rather than later. CDH just missed a whole season and this is Strome's first pro year.

The only major issue I have is how they've played Poulin. He needs games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->