Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk PART XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
Not sure who the "bash garf crew" or where the suggestion that the UFA market was an answer but your point about people complaining is accurate. Snow and Capuano will (should?) be held accountable for results and their final exam starts tomorrow night. Even Rutherford made changes (new coach, added Hagelin, Daley, Schultz) after a horrid start, turned the season around, Garth did nothing. Not a judgment, an observation. Maybe he decided to keep the faith with Strome, Nelson, Lee, Kulemin, Grabovski, Bailey and maybe that was what was best - but ultimately, results are on him.

Capuano, for all his faults, tried everything except breaking up his prized 4th line (they were outstanding this year) and (in a puzzling move) never tried Lee-Tavares-Bailey after a near-art-ross for JT and 25G for Lee, puzzling. He tried to force JT-Strome in an effort to get Strome going, tried Nelson-JT at times, he tried.

Doesn't matter now. It's a new season. Stats reset to zero. Wins reset to zero.

I agree, it's what I expect. I don't think DalColle is ready for the NHL and a full season in the AHL would be ideal. I'd like to see him finish in Bridgeport this year and then see how things go. If the Isles need to play him this year then it will likely be a desperation move or due to injury or both.

I think we'd all like to see him get a shot with JT, have instant chemistry and they can start lighting it up - but that's more hope than expect.

Are you saying Lee-Tavares-Bailey was never a line this year? Cause that isn't true at all, they absolutely played together this year

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Are you saying Lee-Tavares-Bailey was never a line this year? Cause that isn't true at all, they absolutely played together this year

He did try it, but not enough, given all their success last year.
http://www.leftwinglock.com/line-combinations/?player1=john+tavares&flag=y

All Games

Forward 1 Forward 2 Forward 3 Frequency
KYLE OKPOSO BROCK NELSON JOHN TAVARES 20.12%
JOHN TAVARES RYAN STROME MIKHAIL GRABOVSKI 13.22%
JOHN TAVARES JOSH BAILEY RYAN STROME 9.93%
JOHN TAVARES JOSH BAILEY ANDERS LEE 9.82%
JOHN TAVARES RYAN STROME ANDERS LEE 8.43%
JOHN TAVARES RYAN STROME BROCK NELSON 7.61%
KYLE OKPOSO JOSH BAILEY JOHN TAVARES 7.35%
KYLE OKPOSO FRANS NIELSEN JOHN TAVARES 6.1%

Capuano juggled lines all season and tried really hard to get people going but it didn't work. Odd behaviour from Capuano who cemented Moulson-Parenteau for two full seasons, Moulson-Boyes for a whole season except for the playoffs vs. Pitts and then a gong show since then.

Just odd.

Not blaming Cappy alone, it's the players as well and for whatever reason, there was almost zero line chemistry in ANY of the lines with the exception of Zeekers and, thankfully, the recent Nielsen-JT-KO line that's been excellent.

Nelson and Okposo have been great in spurts, they need to get hot NOW.

Strome Bailey have to show something on offense.

everyone else needs to just play the way they can, the way they've shown.

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
He did try it, but not enough, given all their success last year.
http://www.leftwinglock.com/line-combinations/?player1=john+tavares&flag=y

All Games

Forward 1 Forward 2 Forward 3 Frequency
KYLE OKPOSO BROCK NELSON JOHN TAVARES 20.12%
JOHN TAVARES RYAN STROME MIKHAIL GRABOVSKI 13.22%
JOHN TAVARES JOSH BAILEY RYAN STROME 9.93%
JOHN TAVARES JOSH BAILEY ANDERS LEE 9.82%
JOHN TAVARES RYAN STROME ANDERS LEE 8.43%
JOHN TAVARES RYAN STROME BROCK NELSON 7.61%
KYLE OKPOSO JOSH BAILEY JOHN TAVARES 7.35%
KYLE OKPOSO FRANS NIELSEN JOHN TAVARES 6.1%

Capuano juggled lines all season and tried really hard to get people going but it didn't work. Odd behaviour from Capuano who cemented Moulson-Parenteau for two full seasons, Moulson-Boyes for a whole season except for the playoffs vs. Pitts and then a gong show since then.

Just odd.

Not blaming Cappy alone, it's the players as well and for whatever reason, there was almost zero line chemistry in ANY of the lines with the exception of Zeekers and, thankfully, the recent Nielsen-JT-KO line that's been excellent.

Nelson and Okposo have been great in spurts, they need to get hot NOW.

Strome Bailey have to show something on offense.

everyone else needs to just play the way they can, the way they've shown.

I completely agree that other than the 4th line, there was almost no chemistry between anyone. To be honest, I thought the ling juggling was too much this year. I think there is a reason why our 4th line has so much chemistry, they play together every single day. I would have liked to see some combinations be able to push through their struggles and develop the chemistry, especially lines that previously had success such as the Lee-Tavares-Bailey. I was just pointing out that the combination was tried and 150 ES minutes is a decent enough sampling (though not even IMO).

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
Dal Colle has Nelson's frame, really lanky. He's never going to be a banger or anything, but he should be able to use his frame for puck possession. His skating definitely needs work, he's never going to be a blazer. What he does have is really good offensive instincts, high end skill, and that shot. I think he projects to be very Vanek-esque as a player, a really strong complementary forward that should mesh well with our centers.

As long as his linemates handle the zone entry responsibilities, he should excel offensively. I think he would match really well with Tavares, get them a speedy RW playmaker and they tear it up. Both MDC and JT are really good in tight, it would be like the JT-Moulson connection in a lot of ways.

Hard to believe nowadays but back then vanek was a better skater than dal colle. Vanej was great at the start of his career.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Duchene grew up liking Colorado so I think he really wanted to go there.

REALLY wanted to go there.

Duchene.jpg

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I completely agree that other than the 4th line, there was almost no chemistry between anyone. To be honest, I thought the ling juggling was too much this year. I think there is a reason why our 4th line has so much chemistry, they play together every single day. I would have liked to see some combinations be able to push through their struggles and develop the chemistry, especially lines that previously had success such as the Lee-Tavares-Bailey. I was just pointing out that the combination was tried and 150 ES minutes is a decent enough sampling (though not even IMO).

I agree with you that it seemed like way too much shuffling in the top nine. And I don't want to dump on Capuano (again) because there was nothing he could have done except (hindsight), NOT shuffle lines at all. This was a very peculiar year for the top nine where they never got in sync. What made it more difficult was how poorly Strome played, Bailey to a lesser extent because he's not far off where he was. Grabovski awful and hurt, Kulemin scoring like a Bernier, Lee played ok at times but production way off from his 25G year, prolonged slumps for Okposo, Nielsen and Tavares.

When JT wasn't playing well, I think Bailey/Strome were also in slumps and the team looked dreadful at times. Yet, here we are, 100pts and opening the playoffs against the Panthers. When the puck drops tonight, nothing matters, fresh start and I wouldn't be surprised to see renewed energy and output from Strome, Bailey, Okposo, Nielsen, Tavares - and the timing coudn't be better.

Hard to believe nowadays but back then vanek was a better skater than dal colle. Vanej was great at the start of his career.

holy crap - you might be right about that. Vanek has become lazy over the years, as well as slowed down. Not sure if it's age, conditioning, both? Vanek always had great hockey sense though, scorers instincts and had some quick success in the NHL. Though, I think he was 21-22 when he started his pro career.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I wonder what he thinks of Roy now. :laugh:

Roy is such a terrible coach. Sakic is a terrible GM. More evidence that great players don't necessarily make good management guys. Yzerman is coming under fire now too for being a hard ass.

I'm not a Snow-hater, I like the job he's done. Maybe it's like how ex-catchers make good managers or something.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
I'm not a Snow-hater, I like the job he's done. Maybe it's like how ex-catchers make good managers or something.

Cathers have more experience with managers/what they do because everyone on the field faces them. Therefore, they're the line of communication between the manager and the rest of the team. In hockey, everyone has their back to the goalie. It's not analogous. <I played catcher.>

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Roy is such a terrible coach. Sakic is a terrible GM. More evidence that great players don't necessarily make good management guys. Yzerman is coming under fire now too for being a hard ass.

It's funny how poorly rated of a GM Sakic is in Eastside Hockey Manager, he is always fired year one, so is Roy.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Cathers have more experience with managers/what they do because everyone on the field faces them. Therefore, they're the line of communication between the manager and the rest of the team. In hockey, everyone has their back to the goalie. It's not analogous. <I played catcher.>

A former catcher, that explains a lot about you. Too many balls to the head and balls?!? :sarcasm:

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
A former catcher, that explains a lot about you. Too many balls to the head and balls?!? :sarcasm:

The foul tips that bounce up under the cup were the absolute worst. But I'm fertile, so no lasting effects.

I do feel like my rotator cuff is completely screwed because I always threw short-arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad