Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk PART XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Looks like Beauvillier scored tonight in a 6-2 win(series tied 2-2).

I have to say I am somewhat disappointed with Beauvillier, I was expecting more. Given his team got the "easy" matchup first round, I was expecting more then him scoring at a PPG pace.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
Looks like Beauvillier scored tonight in a 6-2 win(series tied 2-2).

I have to say I am somewhat disappointed with Beauvillier, I was expecting more. Given his team got the "easy" matchup first round, I was expecting more then him scoring at a PPG pace.

the strange thing right now is that i've seen his faceoff stats go waaaay down. i smell an injury.

GiveDWrightskates

Jul 9, 2007
Oslo
Can I ask some of you guys who get to see more of our prospects than just highlights: How would you rate MDC, Barzal, Ho-Sang and Beauvillier relative to what you thought of Strome and Nelson at the same age/point of development (ignoring what they have done since)?

I am thinking in terms of overall potential impact (since it is hard to compare different types of players), with maybe a word or two about floor and ceiling.

Thanks!

Nosebleed40

May 2, 2013
Can I ask some of you guys who get to see more of our prospects than just highlights: How would you rate MDC, Barzal, Ho-Sang and Beauvillier relative to what you thought of Strome and Nelson at the same age/point of development (ignoring what they have done since)?

I am thinking in terms of overall potential impact (since it is hard to compare different types of players), with maybe a word or two about floor and ceiling.

Thanks!

I'm not going to answer this question, as I will leave it to the people that follow these kids more. But, when I see Dal Colle on video, he looks huge. If only he could put some weight on and get a nasty streak, he could be a perfect power forward. Also, his skating is quite bad.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005

We didn't quite have enough video on Nelson. That said, I'll just put them into really coarse-grained tiers:

Tier 1: Barzal
Tier 2: Strome
Tier 3: Everyone else

Strome's hockey sense put him a cut above all of the other guys. Barzal has that, but his athleticism puts him in a tier above Strome. Everyone else is/was a muddle IMO.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
I'm not going to answer this question, as I will leave it to the people that follow these kids more. But, when I see Dal Colle on video, he looks huge. If only he could put some weight on and get a nasty streak, he could be a perfect power forward. Also, his skating is quite bad.

He is not that kind of player. Does not use his size, more of a play maker with a good shot but horrendous skating

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
He is not that kind of player. Does not use his size, more of a play maker with a good shot but horrendous skating

Dal Colle has Nelson's frame, really lanky. He's never going to be a banger or anything, but he should be able to use his frame for puck possession. His skating definitely needs work, he's never going to be a blazer. What he does have is really good offensive instincts, high end skill, and that shot. I think he projects to be very Vanek-esque as a player, a really strong complementary forward that should mesh well with our centers.

As long as his linemates handle the zone entry responsibilities, he should excel offensively. I think he would match really well with Tavares, get them a speedy RW playmaker and they tear it up. Both MDC and JT are really good in tight, it would be like the JT-Moulson connection in a lot of ways.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Dal Colle has Nelson's frame, really lanky. He's never going to be a banger or anything, but he should be able to use his frame for puck possession. His skating definitely needs work, he's never going to be a blazer. What he does have is really good offensive instincts, high end skill, and that shot. I think he projects to be very Vanek-esque as a player, a really strong complementary forward that should mesh well with our centers.

As long as his linemates handle the zone entry responsibilities, he should excel offensively. I think he would match really well with Tavares, get them a speedy RW playmaker and they tear it up. Both MDC and JT are really good in tight, it would be like the JT-Moulson connection in a lot of ways.

Ho-Sang if he pans out

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Ho-Sang if he pans out

I've posted that several times already in this thread. On skillset only (I'm not going to psychoanalyze him like others), Ho-Sang would be an ideal fit for a MDC-JT duo. JHS can speed through the neutral zone and establish offensive zone possession (enough of the damn chip and chase), passes it to a trailing Tavares with open ice and time to operate, Dal Colle is ready to shoot on the other wing, JT either attacks the net himself or dishes it off to Dal Colle, Dal Colle can either pull the trigger or pass it back to JT or JHS, offensive chance created somehow. Rinse and repeat.

The only thing I'd be a little concerned about is how defensively responsible that line would be. It would be ideal for Ho-Sang to be the defensive player who stays up high in the offensive zone as JT and MDC operate best down low - plus they're not the fleetest of foot.

You feel me bro? :)

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park

Thanks!

I, and many other posters were very excited about Strome. I think it is very easy to look at Barzal right now and then look at Strome's performance this year and retroactively assert that Barzal's ceiling is considered higher than Strome's ever was, Barzal is on another tier, etc. Currently, yes, I have high hopes for Barzal and I believe he has more raw talent and skills than Strome had at the same age. But if I am trying to be as objective as possible and breakthrough my 20/20 hindsight, remembering the way I thought about Strome is very similar to the way I think now about Barzal.
MDC is a different story for me. I have been very high on him since he was drafted. I am most excited about him as a prospect, more so than Barzal. Not because I believe he has more skill or will be better necessarily (I actually think Barzal has the higher ceiling) but I believe that his particular skill set is one that will very much complement the current make-up of our team. In a way, he is similar to Moulson in that he has great hands in front of the net and his success there is not dependent on being physical but overall he has a better shot and is a better playmaker overall

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site

Thanks!

1 year after the draft, I'd say Strome, Beauvillier and MDC were around the same level, with Barzal being a bit above and Nelson being well below. 2 years after the draft, I'd say Nelson just slightly below Strome, and MDC a little below Nelson.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Guys Barzal is a much better skater than Strome

I'd like to hope he has a higher ceiling then Strome... but weirder things have happened.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Guys Barzal is a much better skater than Strome

I'd like to hope he has a higher ceiling then Strome... but weirder things have happened.

He doesn't just have better skating, he's more assertive than Strome at the same age. I think that's a key difference.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
1 year after the draft, I'd say Strome, Beauvillier and MDC were around the same level, with Barzal being a bit above and Nelson being well below. 2 years after the draft, I'd say Nelson just slightly below Strome, and MDC a little below Nelson.

and in two more years, it may look completely different.

Strome was a 5th overall in what's looking like (right now, anyway) an unspectacular draft. But he's had a lot of offensive success at every level since his draft year. I hope this is just an off-year, growing pains. He's playing with zero confidence and has zero chemistry with anyone on the team right now - it's not the best time to evaluate or make a decision on him. He's at a low point now, for sure.

And it's easy to project a teenager and be optimistic about how they may play as a pro - but a lot can happen in 2-3-4 years. It's dangerous to play this game of "waiting for player X to take over for player Y" -- still waiting for all the players who were supposed to make Frans expendable - and now he may just walk without a replacement in sight.

I just hope ONE (or TWO) of Barzal, DalColle, Beauvillier or Ho-Sang can really "hit" and become a Panarin-type for the Isles. But relying on these young guys is a mistake Snow made last year, thinking/expecting Strome/Nelson/Lee to carry the load for secondary scoring and they've been a disaster (relatively speaking), combined with down years/injuries for Kulemin, Grabovski, Bailey.

Ok. Now bring on the playoffs. None of this matters anymore. Now it's all "battle level" :sarcasm:

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site

Strome was a 5th overall in what's looking like (right now, anyway) an unspectacular draft. But he's had a lot of offensive success at every level since his draft year. I hope this is just an off-year, growing pains. He's playing with zero confidence and has zero chemistry with anyone on the team right now - it's not the best time to evaluate or make a decision on him. He's at a low point now, for sure.

And it's easy to project a teenager and be optimistic about how they may play as a pro - but a lot can happen in 2-3-4 years. It's dangerous to play this game of "waiting for player X to take over for player Y" -- still waiting for all the players who were supposed to make Frans expendable - and now he may just walk without a replacement in sight.

I just hope ONE (or TWO) of Barzal, DalColle, Beauvillier or Ho-Sang can really "hit" and become a Panarin-type for the Isles. But relying on these young guys is a mistake Snow made last year, thinking/expecting Strome/Nelson/Lee to carry the load for secondary scoring and they've been a disaster (relatively speaking), combined with down years/injuries for Kulemin, Grabovski, Bailey.

Ok. Now bring on the playoffs. None of this matters anymore. Now it's all "battle level" :sarcasm:

yeah. the season is like a pre-season, really. this is the REAL season. show us what you got boys! you better leave it all out on the ice. blood, sweat, tears, teeth...

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site

Oh, I'm in full agreement. Using past prospect development at the same age to project other prospects at that age is pretty faulty, since there's generally no reason to think that they'll all develop at the same rate. Development rates and paths vary heavily from player to player, and can be slowed down or sped up by all kinds of factors. In the end, you can only gauge so much by making these sorts of comparisons.

Also, I agree that it's pretty flawed logic to assume Nelson or Strome are done developing. While they may not improve from what they are currently, there's little reason to assume that is the case when it comes to these guys. Strome's only 22, and Nelson though he is 24 was drafted as a very raw high school player, so his development path was always expected to be a bit slower. Both still have time to become more than what they've shown thus far.

But hell yeah, bring on the playoffs. I cannot wait for them to start!

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

Thanks!

IMHO, based on pure talent at roughly the same point of development....

Barzal
Ho-Sang
Nelson
MDC
Beauvillier
Strome

Never been that high on Strome to be honest.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa

Wow, the bash garf crew is taking it to new levels here...

First, Nelson, Strome, and Lee were coming off very productive NHL seasons...

These prospects look great but are just that...chl prospects.

Not to mention the hypocrisy here- you put the same hope into the prospects as snow did with the current isles listed above - I suppose if they had been supplanted by free agent signings people would be complaining snow didn't believe in these young players?

Never,ind the FA market was bare of any sure things.

Gotcha

:laugh:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Wow looks likelier that Dal Colle will be available tomorrow. I wonder if they will use him on the big team or send him down to Bridgeport

2-0 Niagara with a period and a half to go(no points for Ho Sang)

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Dal Colle will be available as soon as tomorrow as the brooms come out tonight.

Kingston losing 2-0 right now to Niagra. Ho-Sang currently pointless.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
From the link people posted in the Offseason Plans thread of Duchene saying he didn't want to end up on TB or here I found myself on the Aaron Ekblad Mic'd up draft video, and I've got something for you guys to get a hot taek on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mdG1srIMcw&feature=youtu.be&t=3m25s

AE to MDC: "Isles, eh?"
MDC: "We'll be golfing every year"
AE: "You're going to play in Brooklyn, bud"

Dal Colle says...you'll be golfing everyday(because you know he is in Florida)

All that being said Dal Colle officially eliminated. I am guessing he now becomes an option along with Quine and Bernier for that 12th spot

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Dal Colle says...you'll be golfing everyday(because you know he is in Florida)

All that being said Dal Colle officially eliminated. I am guessing he now becomes an option along with Quine and Bernier for that 12th spot

I haven't seen him play, so in your opinion, does his game translate into the NHL at this point, particlarly playoff hockey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad