Isles Prospect Talk 2020-21 Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott99

May 13, 2005
That's how many WJC games Sorokin played, yes.
Did you watch him in the Gold medal Final game ? He was spectacular, and made the save of the tournament. Came up 1 goal short in their effort, but Sorokin was spectacular.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Did you watch him in the Gold medal Final game ? He was spectacular, and made the save of the tournament. Came up 1 goal short in their effort, but Sorokin was spectacular.
I made no comment on the quality of his play, but simply on how tiny of a sample size you were using for your claim. Narrowing the sample size further down to just one game doesn't exactly make it seem better.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I made no comment on the quality of his play, but simply on how tiny of a sample size you were using for your claim. Narrowing the sample size further down to just one game doesn't exactly make it seem better.
You can be wowed by someone in 1 game , in 3 games, etc. it’s all subjective and personal. Hence I was wowed by Sorokin in his WJC experience.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Forward Brad Lambert, a potential top-5 pick in the 2022 NHL Draft who represented Finland at the 2021 WJC, said Raty will prove to everyone why he should have been selected higher in the 2021 draft.
"He's unbelievable with the puck, has got great hands ... his playmaking is unbelievable," Lambert said "I believe last year he really didn't get the opportunity. But, for real, he should have gone in the top 10 of this draft. I mean, he's an unbelievable player who just didn't get the opportunity last year."

Last edited:

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
You can be wowed by someone in 1 game , in 3 games, etc. it’s all subjective and personal. Hence I was wowed by Sorokin in his WJC experience.
Yes, I understand that, but what is being discussed here is how much stock to put into a small sample size, especially just one game. If your subjective and personal determination is that drawing conclusions based on one game is valid, by all means keep doing so. Personally, I think it makes sense to put more stock in how a prospect plays over notably larger sample sizes than that.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Forward Brad Lambert, a potential top-5 pick in the 2022 NHL Draft who represented Finland at the 2021 WJC, said Raty will prove to everyone why he should have been selected higher in the 2021 draft.
"He's unbelievable with the puck, has got great hands ... his playmaking is unbelievable," Lambert said "I believe last year he really didn't get the opportunity. But, for real, he should have gone in the top 10 of this draft. I mean, he's an unbelievable player who just didn't get the opportunity last year."

"Aatu Raty is on a mission to prove that he's one of the best players in the 2021 NHL Draft despite being selected in the second round."

Uh oh. Didn't work out so well last time we had a guy say something like that.... :sarcasm:

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong

A guy named Brad Lambert is playing for the Finnish national teamo_O. I had to google it. Not only is it correct but he's Lane Lambert's nephew!

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
When it comes to Räty, one thing I have NO WORRIES about is him being anything close to a Kabanov or Ho-Sang.

No-one in the scouting community has doubted that he'd at least be an NHLer for lower lines. There's no doubt about his work ethic and dedication. In fact, he apparently overdid it by spending too much time in the gym, both before and during the season, which is believed to have had an effect on his on-ice play.

Coming into this season, everyone thought he'd continue being an offensively dominating player and that wasn't the case at any time this season. He just wasn't "sexy" anymore. But he was playing in the men's league for one of the very competitive teams in the league and all they had for him was a very minimal lower line role.

From an offensive standpoint, he probably would have been better-served playing in an all-situation role for a 2nd league (Mestis) team, but the big club needed him for the smaller roles.

Last edited:

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
When it comes to Räty, one thing I have NO WORRIES about is him being anything close to a Kabanov or Ho-Sang.

No-one in the scouting community has doubted that he'd at least be an NHLer for lower lines. There's no doubt about his work ethic and dedication.

Coming into this season, everyone thought he'd continue being an offensively dominating player and that wasn't the case at any time this season. He just wasn't "sexy" anymore. But he was playing in the men's league for one of the very competitive teams in the league and all they had for him was a very minimal lower line role.

From an offensive standpoint, he probably would have been better-served playing in an all-situation role for a 2nd league (Mestis) team, but the big club needed him for the smaller roles.

The eye test is always a better indicator than statistics

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Just noticed this about newly picked forward Liukas.

This is where Pronman had him ranked:
upload_2021-7-26_22-47-48.png

The guy right behind him went 10th overall to Ottawa.

Pronman had Raty at 19 and Lennox at 93.

He didn't have Berg or Malinen in his top 150.

Last edited:
Reactions: SI90

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Just noticed this about newly picked forward Liukas.

This is where Pronman had him ranked:
View attachment 456412

The guy right behind him went 10th overall to Ottawa.

Pronman had Raty at 19 and Lennox at 93.

He didn't Berg or Malinen in his top 150.
It’s weird as usually pronman loves guys who are really good skaters and give a good skill level. Malinen seems like a prospect he would like.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I don't know if I'm crazy or being bias, but I have a really good feeling about this draft. No I haven't watched these guys play (except Raty), but everything I'm reading seems pretty encouraging on guys like Liukas and Berg, even Lennox.
I really like Malinen the most. If he can become a shut down defenseman, then that's massive. That's also back to back drafts where the Isles have drafted Finnish defensemen, and one has already become a part of team Finland for the world juniors as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad