Isles Prospect Talk 2020-21 Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
At the exact same time, players like him could be used to trade for better players. Holmstrom can continue to grow. Hell, he might prove me wrong and all of us wrong by being a very good player for the bridgeport isles, or he doesn't and relapses

Most people here, including you above, think it would be a surprise of Holmstrom made it as a regular/impact NHL player.

Yet...

You expect the people who scout/analyze all NHL players and prospects for a career on other teams to ignore that fact and trade something of value for a guy they're confident probably won't amount to much no matter how many years we all wait?*

*You know...Like Dal Colle and Bellows.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
that helps us with contract limits but is also pretty interesting. He’s a legit pro prospect. Maybe he sees a bunch of good young defenseman in front of him and doesn’t plan on signing?
I think more likely is that he doesnt have enough credits to graduate and realizes a degree is more likely to pay off for him than hockey, so he should finish that up while he has a scholarship. If he didn't return to college, he would be a UFA this summer, so I doubt this is about where he wants to sign.

Brain Hemorrhage

Jan 16, 2003
Boston, MA
Holmstrom is a good prospect. Maybe he was a reach and we do have a pattern of taking middle of the road Scandinavian players in the teens to 20s in the first round. Bergenheim, Nilsson, Nokeleinen, and now Holmstrom. Relatively speaking I'd argue Holmstrom is the best all around player out of all these.

However, I see Holmstrom as a tough projection. He is not very physical so not a good fourth line option in the NHL. He also is not a center so he can't fit the role of a two way scoring third line center sandwiched by two bangers with good shots. He just doesn't have a clear bottom 6 role. Therefore, he is most likely Top 6 or bust. But he doesn't seem to have the shot to be a Top 6.

At this point it's way too early to call bust. But he is a talented player without a clear role in the NHL.

That said, I also agree that there were other, clearly better options available that made this pick a reach. - And, again, I like Holmstrom but I just don't see his path to the NHL.

If the path exists, it would be as a zone entry puck possession player who can drive play, similar to Tito but without the shooting skill. On a Trotz team, he could have a role. Other coaches would probably not give him much playing time.

Last edited:

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Holmstrom is a good prospect. Maybe he was a reach and we do have a pattern of taking middle of the road Scandinavian players in the teens to 20s in the first round. Bergenheim, Nilsson, Nokeleinen, and now Holmstrom. Relatively speaking I'd argue Holmstrom is the best all around player out of all these.

However, I see Holmstrom as a tough projection. He is not very physical so not a good fourth line option in the NHL. He also is not a center so he can't fit the role of a two way scoring third line center sandwiched by two bangers with good shots. He just doesn't have a clear bottom 6 role. Therefore, he is most likely Top 6 or bust. But he doesn't seem to have the shot to be a Top 6.

At this point it's way too early to call bust. But he is a talented player without a clear role in the NHL.

That said, I also agree that there were other, clearly better options available that made this pick a reach. - And, again, I like Holmstrom but I just don't see his path to the NHL.

If the path exists, it would be as a zone entry puck possession player who can drive play, similar to Tito but without the shooting skill. On a Trotz team, he could have a role. Other coaches would probably not give him much playing time.
He's a mid 6 dude. And I say the verdict will start for his 3rd year in the AHL. lets see how he will do

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Holmstrom still, has time. What about Bellows? He could be such an important piece on this team if he can finally put it all together OR be a trade piece. This kid has been a disappointment except for a 20 game stretch followed by his alleged substance issue.

Reactions: ShiroganeKvasha30

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I think the only rookie I'd expect to see in the opening night lineup is Bolduc, or perhaps Salo. I think either of them on the bottom pairing with Mayfield could potentially happen depending on how they look in camp.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I think the only rookie I'd expect to see in the opening night lineup is Bolduc, or perhaps Salo. I think either of them on the bottom pairing with Mayfield could potentially happen depending on how they look in camp.

Yep, this ain't happening.

We're talking about Lou and Trotz here. And rightly so. Both are far too green behind the ears.

There will be at least 1 bonafide NHL Dman added to that left side. Take it to the bank.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021

We're talking about Lou and Trotz here. And rightly so. Both are far too green behind the ears.

There will be at least 1 bonafide NHL Dman added to that left side. Take it to the bank.
I think if either were to be in the NHL, it's as the 7th defenseman like Dobson did a few years back. That's how Trotz will ease in a rookie

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I think if either were to be in the NHL, it's as the 7th defenseman like Dobson did a few years back. That's how Trotz will ease in a rookie

That only happened because Dobson was too young to go to the AHL and had nowhere else to play, they didn't want to waste a year of his development sending him back. .That's not the case with the other prospects since they can all go to the AHL.

Reactions: CRYHAVOC

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
That only happened because Dobson was too young to go to the AHL and had nowhere else to play, they didn't want to waste a year of his development sending him back. .That's not the case with the other prospects since they can all go to the AHL.
You're right but I think that in the case of either defenseman, they can play the role of 7D because they can take upon that role. For someone like Aho, he can be a 7D anyways and slot in fine.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

There's no benefit to the development of either to be sitting around on the Island instead of playing all sorts of minutes and situations down in BPort.

Don't forget the following:
- Salo has never played in North America and is coming off his only really good season since being drafted.
- Bolduc has all of what, 22-24 pro games under his belt?
- Dobson was on the Island in his rookie season for one main reason: He wasn't allowed to play in the AHL. It was the NHL or back in junior for him and the team constantly harped on him being too good for the Q, where he'd likely only develop bad habits.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
There's no benefit to the development of either to be sitting around on the Island instead of playing all sorts of minutes and situations down in BPort.

Don't forget the following:
- Salo has never played in North America and is coming off his only really good season since being drafted.
- Bolduc has all of what, 22-24 pro games under his belt?
- Dobson was on the Island in his rookie season for one main reason: He wasn't allowed to play in the AHL. It was the NHL or back in junior for him and the team constantly harped on him being too good for the Q, where he'd likely only develop bad habits.
On the contrary

do you trust Thompson with developing both players?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
On the contrary

do you trust Thompson with developing both players?

Abso - f$%&ing - lutely!

If he's proven anything, it's that he can develop Dmen.

Holy crap, we went to the conference finals last August/September with a top 4 that all spent at least 1.5 seasons with Thompson on the farm (Pelech, Pulock, Mayfield, Toews). A couple of them were under his tutelage for parts of three seasons.

On top of that, Aho has been an AHL all star and many feel he could be in the show somewhere in the NHL, even if he's not been what Trotz 'n co. are looking for in a Dman for the Isles.

We've had the Thompson talks in other threads - and Staple has pointed this out many times: An AHL coach is there to develop players for the NHL, not win. And we've determined he can make Dmen. In addition, the only forwards who people expected things from who haven't made the NHL in the desired capacity are Dal Colle and Ho-Sang, but everyone can also see that you can only drain so much water out of stones and heck, Dal Colle has at least shown to be a decent layman. That Ho-Sang flunked with two SHL teams last season has really ended all arguments by wishful thinkers that this guy was being "misused" and "mistreated" by the NYI organization.

Sometimes, the player is the only guy to blame for not living up to his billing.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Abso - f$%&ing - lutely!

If he's proven anything, it's that he can develop Dmen.

Holy crap, we went to the conference finals last August/September with a top 4 that all spent at least 1.5 seasons with Thompson on the farm (Pelech, Pulock, Mayfield, Toews). A couple of them were under his tutelage for parts of three seasons.

On top of that, Aho has been an AHL all star and many feel he could be in the show somewhere in the NHL, even if he's not been what Trotz 'n co. are looking for in a Dman for the Isles.

We've had the Thompson talks in other threads - and Staple has pointed this out many times: An AHL coach is there to develop players for the NHL, not win. And we've determined he can make Dmen. In addition, the only forwards who people expected things from who haven't made the NHL in the desired capacity are Dal Colle and Ho-Sang, but everyone can also see that you can only drain so much water out of stones and heck, Dal Colle has at least shown to be a decent layman. That Ho-Sang flunked with two SHL teams last season has really ended all arguments by wishful thinkers that this guy was being "misused" and "mistreated" by the NYI organization.

Sometimes, the player is the only guy to blame for not living up to his billing.
Then I trust him

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
i've been high on Salo for a while. didn't see much of him, but i liked what i saw. i look forward to seeing him develop.
I'm for some reason very confident that Salo will be good - just a hunch (obviously a great season this year helped). I'd love to be surprised but the safe bet is to not expect any NHL games this year.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland

We're talking about two different things, I think. Bringing in a bonafide NHL dman still shouldn't block a kid from the lineup unless you are dead-set on Greene being the #6. Also - how exactly are they too green behind the ears? Just curious. I mean I know next to nothing about Salo but from what I saw of Bolduc he looks pretty advanced. Trotz obviously isn't opposed to playing kids if they earn their spot. Even if we bring in Suter, literally all one of these kids will have to do is outplay Greene in camp. It would be one thing if they're trying to take the spot of a 30 year old locked into a long-term contract, but a 39 year old on a 1/1 deal? I don't see this being some farfetched scenario.

Pelech - Pulock
Suter - Dobson
Bolduc - Mayfield
x - Greene

Seems pretty solid to me. If the kid struggles, play Greene. Not the end of the world.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
With all of the Isles cap space now, and the only goal being a Stanley Cup, they need to bring in a high-end LHD2, probably let Greene start as LHD3 and maybe let a vet or player like Aho be the reserve.

Let Bolduc and Salo log big minutes in Bridgeport. Maybe they come up for some NHL experience if there is an injury and show they are ready.

I have faith in Thompson being able to develop the defensemen, now that he is using Trotz's system and not under the "expert tutelage" of Snow/Weight.

I get the feeling though that Bolduc is really going to push everyone in camp, be among the final cuts and is very close.

In a full NHL season, there will be injuries and they should be able to find Bolduc (or maybe Salo) some time, if only to keep Greene fresh.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Since I'm confident the Mods won't let me make this a separate thread, let's throw it out here.

What's the one under the radar prospect that you think surprises us the most two years from now as far as making the team?

I'll take two of them, one already playing in Bridgeport and one from the last draft.

I thought Blade Jenkins started well in his Bridgeport stint and has good size. His junior numbers were pretty constant. I think we see him earn a full-time position on Bridgeport.

And I mentioned before that I think Dufour was an absolute steal in the 5th round, so those are mine. Dufour will likely need a third year before making it but he's on the right path.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Since I'm confident the Mods won't let me make this a separate thread, let's throw it out here.

What's the one under the radar prospect that you think surprises us the most two years from now as far as making the team?

I'll take two of them, one already playing in Bridgeport and one from the last draft.

I thought Blade Jenkins started well in his Bridgeport stint and has good size. His junior numbers were pretty constant. I think we see him earn a full-time position on Bridgeport.

And I mentioned before that I think Dufour was an absolute steal in the 5th round, so those are mine. Dufour will likely need a third year before making it but he's on the right path.
Durandeau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad